PDA

View Full Version : Racial ability score increases

lbealsjr
October 9th, 2017, 22:21
Using Philip Greig's excellent guide to creating races in FG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdl0sUYbUw I am back to trying to get some information into FG after giving up on this particular race with Par5e.

The issue I am having is with ability score increases.

I can get it to accept and open the dialog box when I give the player two choices to increase using the following syntax: "Two different ability scores of your choice increase by 1." But try as I might I can't come up with a syntax to allow the player to increase one ability score of their choice or three or four. It would appear that the engine will only accept the word two (most likely because that is what variant humans use) and wasn't coded to be more flexible.

Am I doing something wrong?

Imathil

Zacchaeus
October 9th, 2017, 22:56
Yes, this is correct. The only race which gives a choice is the human variant and that is the only wording that will pop up the choice box. All of the other races are ability score increases of x to one ability and y to another. The only other variation is that you can have an ability score decrease by n.

lbealsjr
October 10th, 2017, 03:28
Okay - thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully something that will get added in the future.

Imathil

inawkwardscience
October 29th, 2017, 01:03
I want the same thing as you do. I suppose it's a lot of code to write, but I wish there was some flexibility allowed in that wording.

skj310
July 6th, 2019, 10:55
Hey FG support,

Just wanted a sanity check to see if the answer given to the question herein, remains the same? Am wondering if I can get the dialogue box to open with text like

One other ability score of your choice increases by 1.

Zacchaeus
July 6th, 2019, 12:58
Hey FG support,

Just wanted a sanity check to see if the answer given to the question herein, remains the same? Am wondering if I can get the dialogue box to open with text like

No, there isn't. The work around is to create 'faux' subraces which only have a single feature which increases an ability score by one. See the Changling in Unearthed Arcana (if you have that module) for an example.

absolutkali
October 9th, 2019, 03:23
Kalashtar are another race that you copy syntax from- "your [Ability] score increases by n, and either your [Ability] or your [Ability] increases by n."

Zacchaeus
October 9th, 2019, 11:40
New code has been added to v3.3.9 (currently in Test) which should pick up some more of these variations.

Frostrazor1334
August 25th, 2020, 02:02
Following this thread - I'm running 5E Adventures in Middle Earth. I've loaded in the all the important info for character building - but now trying to sort it all out with the auto-adjustment macros.

The Dunedain specifically are "You increase Constitution and Wisdom by 1" "You can also increase one other ability score of your choice by 1"

So I can duplicate the app function for the first part.
The second part seems to still be absent from the programming - or I do not know the correct dialogue to macro it correctly.

Can anyone confirm, deny, assist?

The other option would be make variants: "Strength Dunedain" "Constitution Dunedain" etc.

Zacchaeus
August 25th, 2020, 02:43
Try this “Your constitution score increases by 1 and your Wisdom score increases by 1 and one other ability score of your choice increases by 1”

I have a feeling it won’t work, but that’s the format it would take if it does work.

Frostrazor1334
August 25th, 2020, 03:18
IT WORKED!!! So awesome. Thank you so much. (I added commas though before each "and" to mirror the base game entries)

Frostrazor1334
September 2nd, 2020, 19:52
So here's a follow-up to my previous questions

STEPS TAKEN:
I drag/copied a standard human to create new cultures (races) for my homebrew game
I exported from the tester campaign into my live campaign.
We found the races/cultures would auto-increase ability scores based on the standard human I copied the first one from.
I learned from this board how to change this. I did so. I removed the +1 to all Ability Scores from my side.
Players are seeing BOTH my modification, and the original +1.

ISSUE: Both are being applied to their characters. Meanwhile I only see on my side the new/changes I made - I no longer see the +1.

QUESTION: How do I remove something I cannot see from my GM side??? It is bizarre they see something different than my GM side does.

STEPS TAKEN TO RESOLVE:
I have already unloaded and reloaded the modules.
I have publicly shared each culture/race so players can see these.

Zacchaeus
September 2nd, 2020, 22:20
I'm not exactly sure what the question is.

Your first step was to make a copy of the human race. You then edited that to make another race. I assume at the edit stage you also edited the ability score increase wording? If you did then I don't understand why your players would see the human increases.

Frostrazor1334
September 2nd, 2020, 22:36
Thanks for responding.

To clarify (this is my first time on the GM side of FG for 5E).

I first made the copy (of human) and edited the text.
I did not know at that time that adding a Race to a character sheet auto-adjusted ability scores. Thus I did not edit that aspect of the copied (multiple copies) of Race/Culture entries.
After exporting and and porting into the live campaign, and after players began making characters it was then discovered that their ability scores all adjusted per human traits.

I then edited the copied/modified races and changed the ability score adjustment field to reflect the correct ability score changes for that campaign in the live campaign.

We exited, I unloaded and reloaded the modules. The players tried making the characters again and found it now did BOTH the original human adjustments and the now modified adjustments I changed it to.

When I now go into the window for the race (elves) it has ONLY my newer edits.
When a player looks at the same window, it has two links that say "Ability Score Adjustments" - one for each

So my question is - how do I fix this? I cannot even see what they see - so I cannot edit it.

Zacchaeus
September 2nd, 2020, 23:13
You will need to go back into the campaign you originally edited the races in and edit the races there. Then export into the same module you originally exported to. I think what you have done is edited the race in the opened module in a different campaign.

Frostrazor1334
September 2nd, 2020, 23:37
Thank you. that was what I was thinking I would need to do.

So just to be sure - by re-exporting and re-importing to the live campaign - I will not be erasing the characters they have made...? Correct??

LordEntrails
September 3rd, 2020, 05:35
Thank you. that was what I was thinking I would need to do.

So just to be sure - by re-exporting and re-importing to the live campaign - I will not be erasing the characters they have made...? Correct??
Correct. The characters will not be updated to the updates in the module. Because in this sense the character sheets are static, they may have links to descriptive things like ability descriptions, but abilities, stats, actions and all of that are copied to the character sheet.

Frostrazor1334
September 3rd, 2020, 06:50
Thank you.

So after I re-export/import from the build campaign to the live one, do the players have to go back and drag the races and other edited data back on to their PC sheet? or will the links on their sheet open up the newly modified entries?

For instance:

I took the 5e PHB human, copied the data to make a new one.
ported the module into a new campaign. Players joined, made characters using that data
I then go and make changes to some of the races used in their characters.
Re export/import same races, but with update info (macros) for ability score increases

So when players sign in, will their character sheet link to new/updated info that i just imported? Or will they need to overwrite that info on their character sheets?

Zacchaeus
September 3rd, 2020, 07:27
The links should remain provided you don't change anything like the module, race name. And the traits are all the same name as well.

Frostrazor1334
September 3rd, 2020, 07:33
Thank you for all your assistance. :-)