PDA

View Full Version : Dialup Users: Hosting and Playing?

morganm
February 24th, 2006, 14:08
I have but a meger dialup connection.

Will it be super slow connecting to a game and playing? Loading things like the map and other images?

How about hosting a game on dialup. Will it be very slow for the players who connect?

DarkStar
February 24th, 2006, 15:49
Do you mean 56k or something like that? I think the devs should answer the question, but from how I see FG (as a very graphics based app), hosting is nearly impossible on a dial-up. It would probably take ages to load the maps, custom tokens, handouts, etc. Playing might be somewhat slow (big maps and other pictures), but I think it's possible.

Well, I have broadband so I can give you nothing besides pure assumptions. :(

Goblin-King
February 27th, 2006, 09:17
We can't unfortunately recommend hosting on a dial-up in general. Chat, dice and sheets will not probably be problematic, but the transfer of images might be slow, and you'd want to carefully take advantage of the image preloading function.

Here's how you can estimate the transfer times: If you have a 100kb image and 3 players connected, you have to send out a total of 300kb of data. The typical upstream speed of a dial-up connection might be around 5kb/sec. For the image to finish uploading to each player, it would take about 60 seconds. In practice, it will be a bit slower, since there will be other network traffic going on such as chat.

In summary, there's nothing that would technically prevent you from hosting, but file transfers might take a while to complete, and you'd probably want to prefer many small maps compared to a couple of big ones.

morganm
February 27th, 2006, 20:11
Thank you for your reply. Some friends and I are thinking of buying it; just wanted to know what to expect on my dialup connection.