PDA

View Full Version : FGUpdaterEngine.exe - Application Error

JFK
October 7th, 2017, 03:52
Hi all,

I've been trying to update for some time, without success. I've had FG for many years, and have updated many times, but the last two updates aren't happening. If I start FG, and hit Update, I get this:

FGUpdaterEngine.exe - Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.

If I try straight through clicking the Updater from the menu, instead of through FG: Same thing.

I've made sure everything is allowed through the firewall.
I've made sure the folder is accessible.
I've deleted (and restored after it failed to work) the executable.

No difference. It fails, and I can't update.

Oh, I tried changing the Settings after starting Fantasy Grounds:

Same result, when I click Settings. Crashed to the message above.

Advice is appreciated.

JFK

Myrdin Potter
October 7th, 2017, 04:20
What operating system are you using?

Moon Wizard
October 7th, 2017, 04:22
Can you try these steps?

* Right click on your FG shortcut
* Select Properties
* Click the Open File Location button
* Delete the FantasyGrounds.exe File
* Run the FGUpdaterEngine.exe file
* Click Update button

We’ve had a few cases where the main client file hasn’t updated correctly, but this should fix if that’s the case.

Regards,
JPG

JFK
October 8th, 2017, 14:59
Windows 10

Trying to run the FGUpdaterEngine.exe file after deleting FantasyGrounds.exe has no result. Well, it has a result, of course, but the result is that after making sure I want to run it . . . nothing happens. I tried running it as Administrator, with the same outcome. After trying, I opened Task Manager, but can't see where anything related to FG is running.

damned
October 8th, 2017, 15:08
If Moon Wizards steps dont work take it one step further and remove both the FGUpdaterEngine.exe and fantasygrounds.exe files and redownload the installation package from here.

JFK
October 8th, 2017, 15:13
Okay, thanks. I'll try that. It's weird, but who knows what changed on my computer. the updater engine shows last modified 9/22/17.

Thanks, I'll post my results here shortly.

John

Before I do, though -- what about the other executable: FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe? Delete that too?

JFK
October 8th, 2017, 15:35
Thanks for the help. Deleting the .exe files and doing the web install fixed everything.

John

blackskullthunder
December 19th, 2018, 23:32
Hi I'm having the same issue, attempted updateing to the newest version but during the process my internet disconnected and the update cancelled half-way through, since then I have been unable to open Fantasy Grounds, I have the Steam version and have tried both these solutions, but no luck. Whenever I try launching Fantasy Grounds now I get this message "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application." I've tried reinstalling and reseting my computer multiple times with no luck so far. Please help

LordEntrails
December 19th, 2018, 23:44
Hi I'm having the same issue, attempted updateing to the newest version but during the process my internet disconnected and the update cancelled half-way through, since then I have been unable to open Fantasy Grounds, I have the Steam version and have tried both these solutions, but no luck. Whenever I try launching Fantasy Grounds now I get this message "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application." I've tried reinstalling and reseting my computer multiple times with no luck so far. Please help
Did you make sure your anti-virus has not quarantined any files?
Did you delete the fantasygrounds.exe and fantasygroundsupdater.exe file and re-running the installer?
What operating system are you running? What anti-virus?