PDA

View Full Version : What's Old is New

Pages : [1] 2

MadBeardMan
October 5th, 2017, 22:32
Hi Folks,

Now that the N.E.W. WOiN ruleset has been out a few weeks (and had a few updates) I'll be using this Post to keep you upto to speed on things, rather than trying to find Post #67 on Page 12 etc.

You can find all about WOiN here (https://www.woinrpg.com/).

I won't go into many details about the system, but I'll say it's been a real challenge as it's very open and there are various things that can affect dice rolls. Fully automating WOiN within FG will prove a real challenge, and not something that can be done overnight. What you have in your hands (or under your fingers etc) is a Ruleset that's taken a good year of development. It's not finished (see the list below) and I plan to bring more and more to it over time.

The current version of the ruleset is v1.0.5 (Early Access) - 31st December 2017
** Sending v1.0.6 over to FG later today (6th March 2018).

So what's in the current version?

The N.E.W. Setting (also known as Future) has had the Full rulebook (v1.1) converted and updated to v1.2 Errata alongside the Critical System update. This Full rulebook contains the original 5 N.E.W. books, which are:

Core Rules - contains a reference manual.
Careers - contains a reference manual, plus Career, Exploits, Psionic Exploits, Species, Traits and Skills Data.
Equipment - contains a reference manual, plus Equipment Data (Weapons, Armour, General Gear, Vehicles, Drugs and Cybernetics)
Space - contains a reference manual
How to build a Universe - contains a reference manual.

Within FG you'll have the N.E.W. Rulebook plus you'll also need to use the WOiN NEW Setting Extension. This extension sets up the Theme, plus adds custom text etc to the entire ruleset, making it feel more like the future. I created this Theme and I'm not the best using Photoshop but I think I've done a good job (please let me know if I've missed any icons etc).

Character Sheets
Allow you to drag Species, Equipment, Exploits, Psionic Exploits, Homeworlds and Careers onto the character.
Dragging a Race onto the Character Sheet will modify the Attribute Values and add in any Exploits based on that race.
Dragging a Career onto the Character Sheet will modify the Attribute Values.
You can drag any Equipment onto the character and encumbrance is calculated.
An action tab includes attacks for Weapons and Psionic Attacks, plus Attribute actions.
Weapon/Psionic attacks, you can create custom attacks (v1.0.6+)
Normal histories, notes are also included.
Luck Dice pool is shown on the main page with a Reset
Death Dice pool is shown on the main page with a Reset

Combat Tracker
As expected Attack rolls and Damage Rolls are all supported.
Attacks target one of 3 defense stats, Melee, Ranged and Psionic.
Targets are supported, drag the Cross hairs onto the target, or drag the attack/damage dice.
Effects (to a limited degree) are supported**
Current Health goes DOWN and can go into Negatives bringing the Death Dice Pool into action (not automated - as the rules state the player should roll these). Death Dice auto decrease if a character takes more damage.
Modifiers take affect to the attack dice being rolled.
The Desktop modifier adds or removes D6's and not +1, +2 etc.
Luck rolls are supported - Luck dice are a limited resource.
Luck dice explode on 6's
3 x 6's rolled on an attack indicate a critical hit.
Critical Hits all dice explode.
Make the Death Dice Pool rollable and auto-remove any 6's rolled. (created by OTG_Wraith) (v1.0.6+)

NPC's
NPC's have full character sheets - allowing you to see Exploits, set Attacks, see Defenses and all Attributes. Plus direct rolling of Attributes and Skills (advise using the Desktop Modifier to modify these)

Other
Target Numbers are sync'd between GM and player desktops.
Party Sheet includes each characters full attributes, plus defenses and SOAK values.
The GM's screen includes a series of quick buttons to set the Target (Difficulty Number) quickly.
Desktop Modifiers - can be used to decrease attack rolls to increase damage rolls (
Attribute rolls - can be modified with Skill, Equipment and Luck dice.
Skill rolls - have to be associated to an Attribute, but can then be modified with Equipment and Luck.
Grade Caps are in place, so the total Dice Pool can be limited (but Luck dice ignore those limits).
Luck Dice, Exploding Dice and 6's are all indicated in different colours in the Chat Window.
WOiN Theme uses WOiN NEW setting fonts.

Effects
As WOiN has a LOT of effects, and with the new Critical system (v1.1) in place the WOiN ruleset supports these as far as added them to a character, and reminding that character they're in place. Each effect has 2 levels, the 2nd level is applied if the critical is received a second time (unlikely but..)
At this time only a few of the effects have been automated. Disarmored 1 & 2, Burning 1 & 2 and Bleeding 1 & 2.
Effects can be removed by the GM on the CT, or they can remove them from the CT character section under Effects. Note deleting a level 2 effect will not automatically add the level 1 effect (at this time).

Phew. There's more information but that's enough for now.

I've added Screenshots to a DropBox folder that you can find here (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/01trbao2fsdkal5/AADPTFpuwc68d_AZ-6rH3KZJa?dl=0).

You may also find more information on Twitter here (https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan), plus within the WOiN Facebook group here (https://www.facebook.com/groups/woinrpg/).

What's next?

This is my current thinking Todo List. My priority is to fix issues that stop the game from being played. Once the ruleset has 'settled' down the Early Access will be removed and more updates will focus on adding new features.

Auto add Exploits/Traits/Skills based on Species/Career (v1.0.2. Exploits are added when a Species is dragged to a character sheet)
Allow the calculated fields (Jump/Carry etc) to be editable via a mini-pop-up screen (like Speed) so that any Exploits/Traits can override the calculated totals
Update the Reference Manual to include links for all Exploits/Skills/Traits etc when useful (in progress)
Add the D66 tables (created by Azaran)
Add more automated effects (in the CT)
Add Vehicles (including Starships).
Add the VITAL DEFENSE and link Poison etc to it. (v1.0.2. has the VITAL DEFENSE added, but no attacks target it yet)
Add PSI Point reduction when using PSI attacks in the CT.
Add a checkbox for the Hook Exploit so it's dice may explode.
Introduce a Starship Combat Tracker
Add a World Database.
Add the O.L.D. Setting (3 books conversions are done, needs a Theme creating) - would need to check up on Bestiary, see if it's been finished.
Initiative system (from v1.2) for Creatures with 3 or 4 actions. Needs a good cuppa to think how to implement this.
Allow SOAK to be 'calculated' based on Natural Armor, Physical Armor, Shield, Helmet, Exploits and Misc bonus.
Add flags to Weapons to indicate which of the SOAK 'types' it ignores - ie Desiccating touch. The hybrid's natural attack enables it to desiccate a victim by touch. Armor SOAK protects against this, but natural SOAK
does not.

Please do not send me PM's about WOiN.

PLEASE NOTE. Do not expect everything to be automated at this time. It might not be possible to fully automate anything as WOiN is so flexible, but I'll do my best.

Post below any thoughts, questions etc and I'll (and others) will do their best to answer them, plus if it's a feature I'll add it to my todo list.

Cheers
Colin 'MadBeardMan' Richardson

ddavison
October 6th, 2017, 01:17
Great work Colin!

Nylanfs
October 6th, 2017, 13:47
I've been watching the system, what do you think of it over all?

MadBeardMan
October 6th, 2017, 20:35
I've been watching the system, what do you think of it over all?

Well to answer for me it's got a lot of 'bespoke' elements to it. Hard to track it via software, but as a GM you've got a lot of things you can add to the game without over-doing parts of it, plus if you wanted, you can add exploits on the fly, follow the guides to new races etc. Well worth a good look.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
October 6th, 2017, 23:32
Righto, finished all my 'list' so next set of testing is on Sunday night. I'm away at Derby Worlds (wargaming fair) but should be back to have the testing commence. Now the labourious task of triple checking errata.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
October 15th, 2017, 13:19
Afternoon,

Have submitted the modules to FG, plus a basic ruleset, new update to the ruleset (with 5 issues) should be done tomorrow or Tuesday.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
October 20th, 2017, 00:58
Morning (almost 1am so that counts).

We made a few decisions internally to 'streamline' the ruleset and modules, as the ruleset is the basis for each setting, and now EN Publishing are compiling all the core books into a single book, so the 5 'Future' books are now all included in the '1' N.E.W. book. So I'm parsing the Full Rulebook as it's known, about 70% of the way through. Plus updated the Theme to make things feel easier, the blue italic font is now black, so it's easier to read on the blue backgrounds, changed the reference manual frames.

There's an update to the ruleset since it's in beta, and I found 2 more rules I need to take into account, it's coming along. Soon, very soon.

timdog88
October 20th, 2017, 23:09
Looking forward to it!

MadBeardMan
October 21st, 2017, 01:05
Looking forward to it!

Super, just completed parsing and checking of Chapter 4 of 5 in the N.E.W. Rulebook, so on target to complete this weekend to update the Beta players.

MadBeardMan
October 24th, 2017, 00:43
Updated the N.E.W. Setting Theme (extension)
Updated the N.E.W. module
Updated the WOiN Ruleset
and send the first adventure for N.E.W.

Working on the free adventure, didn't find the time tonight but will work on Wednesday night.

timdog88
October 24th, 2017, 01:18
So is this in the store now?

damned
October 24th, 2017, 01:56
New content usually takes days to weeks to get QA'd and approved. It was just submitted today so probably not :)

MadBeardMan
October 24th, 2017, 08:18
So is this in the store now?

It's been with FG for a little while, those were updates. There's another update coming tonight as I was showing someone around it and noticed a few small issues.

It's also in beta with someone, and once they report back and those are addressed will it be in the store, but it's underway....

ddavison
October 27th, 2017, 02:17
I'm happy to announce that this is now available in the Store!

Thanks to MadBeardMan for all his efforts on bringing this into reality.

damned
October 27th, 2017, 02:36
Boom! Well done MadBeardMan!

Myrdin Potter
October 27th, 2017, 05:13
Well done!

Trenloe
October 27th, 2017, 05:31
Nice work fella! :)

Azaran
October 27th, 2017, 13:57
I'm happy to announce that this is now available in the Store!

Thanks to MadBeardMan for all his efforts on bringing this into reality.

Bought and gamers lined up to roll characters tonight, this looks absolutely awesome!!

Thanks for the hard work Colin!

Az.

ddavison
October 27th, 2017, 14:48
ENWorld published an announcement here:
https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?4620-Explore-The-Galaxy-On-Fantasy-Grounds!-N-E-W-Now-On-The-Virtual-Tabletop!#.WfM402hSyCg

Please send any feedback from using it here and Colin can compile a list for a future update. This is a brand new game system as well as a ruleset, so we expect there to be some needs for small updates going forward.

MadBeardMan
October 27th, 2017, 17:14
Just got home from work....

Thanks all, it's been a long hard slog and I wouldn't have completed it without the help of MoonWizard and the likes of Damned/Trenloe, all the usual suspects.

There's a massive amount of complexity with the WOiN system. So I *think* I've captured all the important elements. I'm sure there will be some 'ohhh dang, missed that', but I'm not going anywhere and I hope to do regular updates addressing issues but adding new features, please note that sometimes you find the 'simple' ideas are the hardest to implement.

I'll edit the first POST to show the features to be added, as there are a few more now.

Cheers

timdog88
October 27th, 2017, 23:31
I just picked this up as well, looked through it a bit. It looks really good so far and I am excited to dig in and work up a cool sic-fi campaign. Great work!

MadBeardMan
October 27th, 2017, 23:37
I just picked this up as well, looked through it a bit. It looks really good so far and I am excited to dig in and work up a cool sic-fi campaign. Great work!

Thanks for letting me know, just finishing up the Death on Ascalaon scenario... enjoy and remember, any ideas, issues etc etc post here so I can build a list for next weeks update.

Azaran
October 27th, 2017, 23:53
only issues i've found so far is that when you add exploits, there doesnt appear to be a text field on the subform, only the exploit name so there's nowhere really to put the content of the exploit.

Only other thing is that I can't figure out how to set up a table that rolls a D66 (trying to set up a few tables to make my life easier once we get into it.

Awesome work though, i'm totally getting carried away with this ruleset, it's got most of the best bits from every ruleset i've ever played

MadBeardMan
October 27th, 2017, 23:55
I'll look into the Exploits, I presume you've 'added a new one', if so I'll take a look in a bit.

Thanks for letting me know!

Azaran
October 28th, 2017, 00:00
I've added one to the character sheet via the usual method, but then when I click the 'N' to add more detail but there's no field on the subform that pops up other than the name from the main list.21206

MadBeardMan
October 28th, 2017, 00:02
I've added one to the character sheet via the usual method, but then when I click the 'N' to add more detail but there's no field on the subform that pops up other than the name from the main list.21206

Ok, understood, I'll add a flag so that it knows it's an 'Added' Exploit and thus allow you to edit, I'll do the same with Traits etc.

Stuart
October 28th, 2017, 00:04
Great rule system be E/N Publishing and a cracking ruleset Mad - really nice job and cannot wait to set up a game. I've just finished creating a character - a couple of things that I've noted so far - some may reflect my ignorance of the rule system of course.

Exploits:
1) The Character Sheet space for this seems to be oddly split 50:50 for this and Trait - could this be changed to avoid scrolling up and down? A starting character has far more Exploits than Traits and my reading of the rules (?) is that Exploits will increase as a character advances?
2) I think there's some Exploits missing from the list (Human: Explorer is in the ruleset but not the pdf? Enduring is in the pdf but not the ruleset? Psionic Exploits not listed in the Exploit Index)
Equipment
3) Could we have (do we need) a tab for Credits?
Actions
4) Cannot manually add Psionic attacks - Could these be dragged from the Exploit Index when added?
5) "Attribute Actions" ... I get 10 listings with columns for Rank, Skill, Equipment, Luck and Total but no text appears to the left to tell me which Attribute is which.

Again, great job on this ... really nice clean graphics.

Stuart
October 28th, 2017, 00:06
only issues i've found so far is that when you add exploits, there doesnt appear to be a text field on the subform, only the exploit name so there's nowhere really to put the content of the exploit.

Only other thing is that I can't figure out how to set up a table that rolls a D66 (trying to set up a few tables to make my life easier once we get into it.

Awesome work though, i'm totally getting carried away with this ruleset, it's got most of the best bits from every ruleset i've ever played

Yep - totally agree! It pretty much looks to be exactly the sort of sci-fi ruleset I've been looking for. Will happily crunch any of the available adventures into mods to support this ruleset. Doug, are there any plans to look at the other two variants? This is a really nice system.

MadBeardMan
October 28th, 2017, 00:13
Great rule system be E/N Publishing and a cracking ruleset Mad - really nice job and cannot wait to set up a game. I've just finished creating a character - a couple of things that I've noted so far - some may reflect my ignorance of the rule system of course.

Exploits:
1) The Character Sheet space for this seems to be oddly split 50:50 for this and Trait - could this be changed to avoid scrolling up and down? A starting character has far more Exploits than Traits and my reading of the rules (?) is that Exploits will increase as a character advances?
2) I think there's some Exploits missing from the list (Human: Explorer is in the ruleset but not the pdf? Enduring is in the pdf but not the ruleset? Psionic Exploits not listed in the Exploit Index)
Equipment
3) Could we have (do we need) a tab for Credits?
Actions
4) Cannot manually add Psionic attacks - Could these be dragged from the Exploit Index when added?
5) "Attribute Actions" ... I get 10 listings with columns for Rank, Skill, Equipment, Luck and Total but no text appears to the left to tell me which Attribute is which.

Again, great job on this ... really nice clean graphics.

1. Can you send me a screen with this one, I can make the Exploit box about 80% rather than 50%.
2. I'll look to them on the Rulebook.
3. I can add a small box next to the for the Credits on the Encumbrance box.
4. You need to add the 'Pisonic Exploits' in the Exploits tab, that it will add them onto the Actions.
5. Can you send me a screen with this one as well please.

Thanks again though for using this :)

ddavison
October 28th, 2017, 03:40
Yep - totally agree! It pretty much looks to be exactly the sort of sci-fi ruleset I've been looking for. Will happily crunch any of the available adventures into mods to support this ruleset. Doug, are there any plans to look at the other two variants? This is a really nice system.

There are plans to continue this to cover O.L.D. and N.O.W. when it becomes available.

Stuart
October 28th, 2017, 06:49
Exploits
1) Hmm ... this is either fixed or my ageing eyes were in error last night - this now looks better (or maybe always was!) - FIXED
2) Missing Exploits (perhaps?)
Equipment
3) Thanks ...
Actions
4) Nope - still unable to add these: I can drag the Psionic Exploits from the Index onto the Exploits tab on the character sheet but they cannot be dragged onto the Psionic Attacks section of the Action tab. Nor can I manually edit and enter.
5) Screen shot:

Could we have an extra button on the right hand side for Exploits? This is certainly a part of character development that will occupy a lot of time with players diving in and out of the various Exploits available.

Again, really good rule system and one that I think has a lot to offer - the opportunity for character customisation is a big draw for me.

dragonheels
October 28th, 2017, 09:37
Congrats for the goid work! I didnt know about the system before, and I'm happy I do now. Seems to be a great one.
Wouldn't it deserve its own forum now that's an official ruleset available in the store?

Azaran
October 28th, 2017, 11:47
Ok, understood, I'll add a flag so that it knows it's an 'Added' Exploit and thus allow you to edit, I'll do the same with Traits etc.

I was also being a bit special tbh as I should have just opened the library to add the exploits lol..., but noticed that Agile is missing from the exploits list.

Excellent work on the quick updates too :)

Azaran
October 28th, 2017, 11:49
REP and PSI should default to 0 on a new character (not really an issue though :) )

Azaran
October 28th, 2017, 12:16
Grade 0-3 should be 3D6 Max dice pool, grade 4 is 4D6 then the table takes over with 5+

It's in paragraph 3 on the text in the grades section of the reference manual.

Not really impactful at the moment unless GMs want to start their party on grade 1

MadBeardMan
October 28th, 2017, 12:45
@Stuart - just for you. I oddly started on O.L.D. when getting my teeth into WOiN. So part of the ruleset coding does take O.L.D. into account, ie Spells will work alongside the Psionic

Here's a screeny of the original, I'll be reparsing the O.L.D. rulebook (now it's out), and then adding the data and building a more suitable Theme. However I'll be working on the core rulesystem and the N.E.W setting fixing the various issues you and others are reporting.

Cheers
MBM

MadBeardMan
October 28th, 2017, 12:50
Grade 0-3 should be 3D6 Max dice pool, grade 4 is 4D6 then the table takes over with 5+

It's in paragraph 3 on the text in the grades section of the reference manual.

Not really impactful at the moment unless GMs want to start their party on grade 1

I'll add that, thanks.

MadBeardMan
October 28th, 2017, 12:50
REP and PSI should default to 0 on a new character (not really an issue though :) )

Whoops, forgot to do that, adding to my list.

MadBeardMan
October 28th, 2017, 12:52
Exploits
1) Hmm ... this is either fixed or my ageing eyes were in error last night - this now looks better (or maybe always was!) - FIXED
2) Missing Exploits (perhaps?)
Equipment
3) Thanks ...
Actions
4) Nope - still unable to add these: I can drag the Psionic Exploits from the Index onto the Exploits tab on the character sheet but they cannot be dragged onto the Psionic Attacks section of the Action tab. Nor can I manually edit and enter.
5) Screen shot:

Could we have an extra button on the right hand side for Exploits? This is certainly a part of character development that will occupy a lot of time with players diving in and out of the various Exploits available.

Again, really good rule system and one that I think has a lot to offer - the opportunity for character customisation is a big draw for me.

Hello again.

1. Thanks
2. I'll check the exploits in the data and the manual.
3. It's on my list now for the Credit Box.
4. Add, I'll test that.
5. Got the same error, will fix that.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
October 28th, 2017, 16:11
Hello everyone, and thanks to those of you who first have purchased this ruleset, and second have helped 'check through it' and report here.

The WOiN ruleset is very complex in the fact it allows soooooo much scope for adding, tweaking, modifying pretty much any aspect of your character. Those of you who code/script will know an application likes to be told exactly what to do...

Still it's been one heck of a journey for me, plenty of late nights and I mean late, the guys at FG will have seen the 'Ooops need to sleep, my eldest is up for school in 4-5 hours..', still I love that time of night.

Anyway my youngest is having a party in an hour (for Halloween) so I'm going to run and hide in my 'cave' coding up an update, rather than be involved in the mix of six or so 10 year old girls.........

Here it is:

Exploits Tab - Enlarge the Exploits section by default to around 70/30 with Traits - DONE
Exploits Tab - Allow any manually created exploits to edit a description/requirements
Exploits - Double check for missing exploits - DONE, found none missing
Exploits Tab - Any 'attack' Psychic Exploits make sure they create the Attack (Mindprobe, Psi-blast, Psychic cone, Psi-blast (Career), Electrokinetic blast (Career) and Psychic choke (Career)) (have re-created) - DONE
Exploits Button - Add an 'Exploits' button to the SideBar - DONE
Action Tab - Make sure the Attribute Names are all appearing (have re-created) - DONE
Attributes (Main Tab) - make sure Rep and Psi default to 0 - DONE
Max Dice Pool - Update the Grades function to allow for Grades < 5 - DONE
Equipment Tab - Add a 'Credits' currency box - DONE

This will be version 1.0.1, the final digit will increment 'fix updates', the middle digit I'll use for planned roadmap updates. The first of those will be announced once things have settled down.

Right, I'll leave you all for the moment, post anything else missing/required/not working and I'll see about adding to this update.
Cheers
MBM

Azaran
October 29th, 2017, 10:56
Hello everyone, and thanks to those of you who first have purchased this ruleset, and second have helped 'check through it' and report here.

The WOiN ruleset is very complex in the fact it allows soooooo much scope for adding, tweaking, modifying pretty much any aspect of your character. Those of you who code/script will know an application likes to be told exactly what to do...

Still it's been one heck of a journey for me, plenty of late nights and I mean late, the guys at FG will have seen the 'Ooops need to sleep, my eldest is up for school in 4-5 hours..', still I love that time of night.

Anyway my youngest is having a party in an hour (for Halloween) so I'm going to run and hide in my 'cave' coding up an update, rather than be involved in the mix of six or so 10 year old girls.........

Here it is:

Exploits Tab - Enlarge the Exploits section by default to around 70/30 with Traits - DONE
Exploits Tab - Allow any manually created exploits to edit a description/requirements
Exploits Tab - Any 'attack' Psychic Exploits make sure they create the Attack (Mindprobe, Psi-blast, Psychic cone, Psi-blast (Career), Electrokinetic blast (Career) and Psychic choke (Career)) (have re-created) - DONE
Action Tab - Make sure the Attribute Names are all appearing (have re-created) - DONE

This will be version 1.0.1, the final digit will increment 'fix updates', the middle digit I'll use for planned roadmap updates. The first of those will be announced once things have settled down.

Right, I'll leave you all for the moment, post anything else missing/required/not working and I'll see about adding to this update.
Cheers
MBM

Firstly, amazing work, but also understand that life comes first. It's absolutely incredible that you've managed to update all the bits we've found, but make sure you don't burn out trying to get things perfect in the first week!

Thanks for feeding our hype though, i've already got a mate that will buy an ultimate license, NEW, and OLD when it's released.

Az.

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 11:34
Firstly, amazing work, but also understand that life comes first. It's absolutely incredible that you've managed to update all the bits we've found, but make sure you don't burn out trying to get things perfect in the first week!

Thanks for feeding our hype though, i've already got a mate that will buy an ultimate license, NEW, and OLD when it's released.

Az.

Morning,

Thanks for the kind words. Oddly this is stuff I enjoy, my day job isn't anywhere near as exciting.

Today is a day of family, and maybe a few lunchtime ales and then some CoC GMing tonight (on FG), so no coding (maybe!). I've fired off a question to MoonWizard as I've got the Exploits 'addition' working, but not how I want. It might be I re-do that bit in a better manner, just seeing if I can save a bit of time on this.

Here's a screeny of some of the changes.

Cheers

Azaran
October 29th, 2017, 12:05
Looks really good. I'm trying to work out a logic for automating a roll on the engineering table for fun.

damned
October 29th, 2017, 12:11
Azaran do you have a steam account?
Could you add some meat to this query?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/1480982338955787637/

Azaran
October 29th, 2017, 12:20
Azaran do you have a steam account?
Could you add some meat to this query?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/1480982338955787637/

Absolutely, i'll go look now. I'm Dargalin on steam.

Azaran
October 29th, 2017, 12:55

Done :)

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 13:35
It's on my list to make a D66 roll, would need some time to add that feature though, as also need it for Traveller.

damned
October 29th, 2017, 13:49

Great job - thank you.

It's on my list to make a D66 roll, would need some time to add that feature though, as also need it for Traveller.

I added d60 and d600 to MoreCore so you would use d60+d6 for the d66 roll....

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 13:53

Ah cool, erm when I activate my time machine I'll re-use this morning to look at it.

Cheers

Ram Tyr
October 29th, 2017, 14:05
Perhaps my logic is failing... but 1d66 results in a number from 1 to 66... and 1d60+1d6 results in a number from 2 to 66.

Azaran
October 29th, 2017, 14:09
I've just updated the universal tables extension to work with 3.3.3, so just coding it now to do the work for the engineering etc tables that use an alpha the beta gamma delta result. I'll pass it to you when i'm done so that you can decide whether or not to use it in the ruleset, leave it as an extension, or to rewrite it to simplify it.

Az.

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 14:09
Perhaps my logic is failing... but 1d66 results in a number from 1 to 66... and 1d60+1d6 results in a number from 2 to 66.

I guess it must be, as D60 = 1 to 60, I presume it's rolling a D6-1 for the 10's and a D10 for the units. So add on a single extra D6, and you'd get (D6-1 * 10) + (D10) + (1D6), so for example:

3, 9 and 1 are rolled, so you'd get 30.
6, 9 and 6 are rolled, so you'd get 65.
6, 0 and 6 are rolled, so you'd get 66.

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 14:12
I've just updated the universal tables extension to work with 3.3.3, so just coding it now to do the work for the engineering etc tables that use an alpha the beta gamma delta result. I'll pass it to you when i'm done so that you can decide whether or not to use it in the ruleset, leave it as an extension, or to rewrite it to simplify it.

Az.

That's cool. I have plenty left to do in the ruleset without tables etc, been designed a 'SOAK table' so we can cope with Natural Armour, Physical Armour, Sheilds/Helmets and Exploits. Means weapons/attacks will need flags to indicate which of these it ignores (or which it's affected by).

Phew, should be drinking beer now but my eldest kicked off, so I'm home alone. /cry

damned
October 29th, 2017, 14:23

Hola Ramza

d60 rolls 10,20,30,40,50,60
and d600 rolls 100,200,300,400,500,600
:)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21224

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 14:26
Hola Ramza

So it's simply 10,20, 30 and no numbers inbetween?

damned
October 29th, 2017, 14:30
Yes. If you want to roll d66 you roll 1d60+1d6 and if you need to roll 1d666 you roll 1d600+1d60+1d6...

Azaran
October 29th, 2017, 14:32
That's cool. I have plenty left to do in the ruleset without tables etc, been designed a 'SOAK table' so we can cope with Natural Armour, Physical Armour, Sheilds/Helmets and Exploits. Means weapons/attacks will need flags to indicate which of these it ignores (or which it's affected by).

Phew, should be drinking beer now but my eldest kicked off, so I'm home alone. /cry

prototype is working, just bug testing it. so far it does a D66 roll against the alpha table, once I've fixed the bugs i'll replicate it for beta gamma and delta, then soup them all together.

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 14:32
Yes. If you want to roll d66 you roll 1d60+1d6 and if you need to roll 1d666 you roll 1d600+1d60+1d6...

Lovely and do you know if that works with Tables?

damned
October 29th, 2017, 14:38
Like this?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21225

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 14:43
Perfect!

Ram Tyr
October 29th, 2017, 15:13
Hola Ramza

hey hey. Been a long time.

Very tricky using the dX format for something so peculiar!

It is obviously more complicated than it first appears. The oddness of the suggestion was got me to chime in. Hopefully, d66 gets up and working easily.

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 15:35
hey hey. Been a long time.

Very tricky using the dX format for something so peculiar!

It is obviously more complicated than it first appears. The oddness of the suggestion was got me to chime in. Hopefully, d66 gets up and working easily.

I shall look into it for Release Update #1 which I'm working on next week, might do a tester for the Random space phenomena (d66) table....

Azaran
October 29th, 2017, 16:21

Engineering table done.

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 16:29

Engineering table done.

Splendid chap.

Azaran
October 29th, 2017, 17:53
OK, all done. Up to you if we leave it as an extension or if you want to absorb it into the ruleset :)

usage is /rolltable <<parameter>>

EN for engineering
CM for computing/hacking
ME for medical
UF for Urban Foot Chase
WF for Wilderness Foot Chase
VC for Vehicle Chase
SC for Space Chase

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 18:20
OK, all done. Up to you if we leave it as an extension or if you want to absorb it into the ruleset :)

usage is /rolltable <<parameter>>

EN for engineering
CM for computing/hacking
ME for medical
UF for Urban Foot Chase
WF for Wilderness Foot Chase
VC for Vehicle Chase
SC for Space Chase

To be honest chap it's upto you if you want it rolled into the ruleset or not. The N.E.W. Setting is an extension already as you may have noticed, not a massive amount of anything except some string changes and the theme, but these rolls might work nicely for it.

Splendid work though!

Cheers

Azaran
October 29th, 2017, 20:14
Thanks, was good to do a bit of coding for a change. I'm not fussed either way, it's a static set of tables so low maintenance.

I do need to find out who did the original universal tables extension to credit them in the code though.

Quick question on NPCs, is there a mechanism to limit the dice pools, or do we just manage it manually?

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 20:17
Thanks, was good to do a bit of coding for a change. I'm not fussed either way, it's a static set of tables so low maintenance.

I do need to find out who did the original universal tables extension to credit them in the code though.

Quick question on NPCs, is there a mechanism to limit the dice pools, or do we just manage it manually?

For the moment it's manual as per the adventures published etc (2 have been converted and 1 is in Q&A atm). It's why this is early release to gain feedback from players as to what they 'need', so if you want a Grade adding to the NPC then it's something I can do in 'Roadmap Update #1' which I'm mapping out tomorrow.

Cheers

Azaran
October 29th, 2017, 21:03
For the moment it's manual as per the adventures published etc (2 have been converted and 1 is in Q&A atm). It's why this is early release to gain feedback from players as to what they 'need', so if you want a Grade adding to the NPC then it's something I can do in 'Roadmap Update #1' which I'm mapping out tomorrow.

Cheers

Sounds good. From what I see then, we've got pretty much all of the capability to run a ground game, Space side needs some love though.

I'll start off my crew on a ground campaign first and see if I can gather their feedback on mechanics and wishlists for you. Might be a couple of weeks before I have enough set up for them to play with though (time permitting)

MadBeardMan
October 29th, 2017, 21:13
Sounds good. From what I see then, we've got pretty much all of the capability to run a ground game, Space side needs some love though.

I'll start off my crew on a ground campaign first and see if I can gather their feedback on mechanics and wishlists for you. Might be a couple of weeks before I have enough set up for them to play with though (time permitting)

There are lots of plans for the space side, for example Spaceship Combat Tracker and Spaceship Data (ie NPC), oddly I've already got the basics done for the Spaceship data.

But keep me posted here of all wants/wishes and I just PM'd you, cheers for all your help and feedback so far.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
October 30th, 2017, 01:16

Here it is:

Cheers
MBM

Ok folks, finished this, about to give a final test, but all done.

Note: The Exploits - those added on the fly are for non-psionic at the moment. You can enter in a Description, enter in any Requirements and a Category. Note these are not added to the Library. You may also edit existing 'Library based' exploits.

I need to think how best to allow a Psionic Exploit (and attack based exploits) to work, I'll do that in a few days, busy for the next few days due to work and family and well, kids on holiday!

Further Note: Any Psionic Exploits that are attack based (see list above), remove them and re-add them from the Library. Note that attack exploits that have different levels of damage based on Psi points cost all currently roll the basic damage, use modifiers for this.

** KNOWN ISSUES **
During testing, I noticed that the Damage Type for Psionic Types is being ignored and set as 'Psionic'. For most of the attacks this is fine, however I shall address this in the next update.

Cheers

ddavison
October 30th, 2017, 03:51
I just released the first adventure (conversion also by MadBeardMan) into the Store. It will go up on Steam later this week.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=ENPWOINNEWTB9H

Azaran
October 30th, 2017, 13:26
great work :)

LightBringer
October 31st, 2017, 03:16
Awesome work, really appreciated. If possible it would be great to see the space combat functions online ;)

ercsmith
November 1st, 2017, 03:00
This is great, thanks for your time on this. I am starting to load PC's in for a Firefly campaign I am running and I noticed two minor things. When I click to refresh the luck pool it is loading the Attribute score rather than the die pool score, also technically INT in the rules is Intuition rather than Intelligence although I still catch myself saying Intelligence at the table. Also I have been unable to find the defense skills, Dodge, Block, Aim etc.. Am I missing them somewhere? Thanks again and I am looking forward to your updates.

Nylanfs
November 1st, 2017, 12:29
Welcome to the forums and FG Community Ercsmith!

Azaran
November 1st, 2017, 18:58
Ok folks, finished this, about to give a final test, but all done.

Note: The Exploits - those added on the fly are for non-psionic at the moment. You can enter in a Description, enter in any Requirements and a Category. Note these are not added to the Library. You may also edit existing 'Library based' exploits.

I need to think how best to allow a Psionic Exploit (and attack based exploits) to work, I'll do that in a few days, busy for the next few days due to work and family and well, kids on holiday!

Further Note: Any Psionic Exploits that are attack based (see list above), remove them and re-add them from the Library. Note that attack exploits that have different levels of damage based on Psi points cost all currently roll the basic damage, use modifiers for this.

** KNOWN ISSUES **
During testing, I noticed that the Damage Type for Psionic Types is being ignored and set as 'Psionic'. For most of the attacks this is fine, however I shall address this in the next update.

Cheers

1.0.1 notes:

Exploits from races missing (not really an issue as we can create our own now :) ) :
Human - Enduring
Orgrons - Strong
Venetians - Naturally psionic and Logical
Borians - Long-Lived and Personable
Androids - all there
Spartan - all there
Felans - Agile

Exploits button is missing an icon.

All else is looking fab though.

Az.

MadBeardMan
November 2nd, 2017, 13:16
This is great, thanks for your time on this. I am starting to load PC's in for a Firefly campaign I am running and I noticed two minor things. When I click to refresh the luck pool it is loading the Attribute score rather than the die pool score, also technically INT in the rules is Intuition rather than Intelligence although I still catch myself saying Intelligence at the table. Also I have been unable to find the defense skills, Dodge, Block, Aim etc.. Am I missing them somewhere? Thanks again and I am looking forward to your updates.

There's an OPTION to decide to use the LUC attribute or the DICE POOL, so look for it (it's where you set the Dice tower, the decal etc - button top right amongst the combat tracker etc).

INT and Intuition is my mistake, for some reason I keep thinking it's INT for Inteliigence, I'll correct this.

Attacks directly target the Target's Defense Stats. For example, a Rifle would target Ranged Defense. This is a number calculated by the player/GM at the moment, I might one day allow you to auto calculate them but there are a number of Exploits and things that I have to take into account (for example, I added 'Ducking and a Diving', which means a player gets +4 to Melee Defense, that's not an official Exploit but a GM made one, there's no way the ruleset can take that into account easily.

Anyway keep asking these questions and I'll do that I can.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
November 2nd, 2017, 13:18
1.0.1 notes:

Exploits from races missing (not really an issue as we can create our own now :) ) :
Human - Enduring
Orgrons - Strong
Androids - all there
Spartan - all there
Felans - Agile

Az.

Aha, those Race Exploits are NOT listed under the Universal Exploits....I shall add those so you don't have to.

Exploits button - needs a THEME update, I'll send that tonight.

Had a few days away from coding, my missus had a birthday and so we celebrated with some 'us' time (away from the kids as well!). I'll be back in the seat from Saturday where I'll complete some other development I've been working on.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
November 2nd, 2017, 13:19
Awesome work, really appreciated. If possible it would be great to see the space combat functions online ;)

Coming to a Star Port near you (well near Xmas I hope). There's nothing like it in FG, so I'm going to have to do this from scatch, but that doesn't faze me, the hardwork is all pretty much done with the basic ruleset. Still let's get all the niggles out of the way and do the juicy stuff soon.

MadBeardMan
November 2nd, 2017, 20:18
1.0.1 notes:

Human - Enduring
Orgrons - Strong
Androids - all there
Spartan - all there
Felans - Agile

Az.

Chap,

Just added those missing (they were in the Errata I see), and updated the others that were updated. These will be part of 1.0.2. which I'll complete over the weekend.

Checked in and told FG about the theme, not sure when they do the updates - but they'll be with you as soon as they can, and that missing button....

Cheers

Azaran
November 2nd, 2017, 20:22
Chap,

Just added those missing (they were in the Errata I see), and updated the others that were updated. These will be part of 1.0.2. which I'll complete over the weekend.

Checked in and told FG about the theme, not sure when they do the updates - but they'll be with you as soon as they can, and that missing button....

Cheers

Awesome stuff thanks man :D

MadBeardMan
November 2nd, 2017, 20:24
Awesome stuff thanks man :D

No need to thank me, thanks for picking it up and helping me with the fine tuning of it all. Right dinner time here, then a film with the missus and well, maybe coding later (hush, don't tell ANYONE, I've started work on the Starship database, cos need that before the Starship Combat Tracker - OOPS me and my big mouth/keyboard). Enjoy.

Azaran
November 2nd, 2017, 23:28
Getting a script error when trying to roll a brawling attack. Also had a question from one of my players, how do I add a martial arts attack, and how do I add a Psionic attack to the actions page.

Az :)

MadBeardMan
November 4th, 2017, 15:51
Getting a script error when trying to roll a brawling attack. Also had a question from one of my players, how do I add a martial arts attack, and how do I add a Psionic attack to the actions page.

Az :)

Working on build 1.0.2 atm, if I get the time I'll add some of the new development done, so it'll be 1.1.0 - but I'm more focused on fixing errors, adding missing content over adding new features.

I've fixed the script error, plus made sure the Damage 'Text' is accurate.

You can't add an attack on it's own, it's built from the inventory. I suggest dragging the CLUB into their inventory, and then edit the name of the attack to be Martial Arts (of course set the Attack and Damage dice accordingly).
Psionic Attacks are built from the Psionic Exploits you have, which 'attack' are they wanting (I'll double check it's there and marked as an attack exploit).

I have decided that I'll re-write the Attack/Psionic Attacks system in the near future. I took the simpler route to get the ruleset out, but of course hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Cheers

geewaagh
November 5th, 2017, 20:51
Great ruleset from first viewing. Digging in and i'll give more feedback.

Azaran
November 5th, 2017, 21:28
Either type it in directly to the stat number, or use your mouse wheel (with +ctrl if you have it set like that in your settings) while hovering over the stat

MadBeardMan
November 5th, 2017, 21:34
Great ruleset from first viewing. Digging in and i'll give more feedback.

Thanks! Each week I'll be fixing any issues found and working on more development. Once the ruleset is stable it'll drop out of Early Access and will get bigger Dev builds/updates over time.

Cheers
Col

dragonheels
November 6th, 2017, 07:15
I've also bought the ruleset. I like it and the compatibility with OLD and NOW :)
I would need advices concerning the world/settings you are using. I know many configurations are posible, but i'd like to hear from you what you find best 'setting' to start playing... One solsystem, an entire galaxy, Sublight traval or FLT...

LordEntrails
November 6th, 2017, 15:37
I've also bought the ruleset. I like it and the compatibility with OLD and NOW :)
I would need advices concerning the world/settings you are using. I know many configurations are posible, but i'd like to hear from you what you find best 'setting' to start playing... One solsystem, an entire galaxy, Sublight traval or FLT...
I'm not playing this, but I have thought a reverse 'First Contact' scenario would be fun to play. i.e. where you are a ship's crew for your planet's first FTL ship. Right after you make your first test run, say to a nearby uninhabited star and come back, an alien ship jumps in and says "Hello, welcome to the neighborhood!"

This would put things where the players are have to learn everything, their is not a big resource book for them to go look up races or maps or technologies etc. Everything would be new and unknown. It would allow you to build things as you go, so you don't need to map the galaxy or layout all the races or anything like that Very similar to a medieval setting where you start with one town and then map and build as the players explore.

Some of the early missions could include;
- Visit the local trade hub and apply for membership
- Gain peace/trade treaties with other races
- Track down some earlier generation ships sent from your planet to see if they are ok and if they reached their destinations (which of course they could have been kidnapped, or aimed for a planet already inhabited and now have to divert, or...)
- Find new technologies to upgrade their ship (anti-gravity, weapons, shields, material/structural...)

MadBeardMan
November 6th, 2017, 22:11
Folks,

About to send an update (v1.0.2) over to FG.

Here's what's in it.

Script error when creating a new toon and then opening their character sheet is fixed
Script error when double clicking Brawling attack is fixed
Exploits from Species/Careers have all been added to the Master Exploits list
When dragging a Species to a character sheet the Exploits text is now showing just a simple list, rather than the formatted text (which isn't supported in the chat window)
When dragging a Species to a character sheet the Exploits are automatically added
When dragging a Species to a character sheet the Size is automatically added (note Androids will have to edit this, as theirs is marked as small, medium, large by default)
When dragging a Species to a character sheet any Exploits that are choices (ie Androids) will be shown
Attribute Actions now show Intuition rather than Intelligence
Reference Manual has some minor changes
Theme has been updated to include the Exploit button
Perception is now rollable

Note, not had time to fix the Psionic Attack 'damage type', this is currently first on my list this week coming.

I'll update Post #1 now with the new 'todo' list.

Cheers
Col

Nylanfs
November 7th, 2017, 01:12
Something that might be interesting is using it to remake the old Starshield RPG system.

dragonheels
November 8th, 2017, 18:43
I'm not playing this, but I have thought a reverse 'First Contact' scenario would be fun to play. i.e. where you are a ship's crew for your planet's first FTL ship. Right after you make your first test run, say to a nearby uninhabited star and come back, an alien ship jumps in and says "Hello, welcome to the neighborhood!"

This would put things where the players are have to learn everything, their is not a big resource book for them to go look up races or maps or technologies etc. Everything would be new and unknown. It would allow you to build things as you go, so you don't need to map the galaxy or layout all the races or anything like that Very similar to a medieval setting where you start with one town and then map and build as the players explore.

Some of the early missions could include;
- Visit the local trade hub and apply for membership
- Gain peace/trade treaties with other races
- Track down some earlier generation ships sent from your planet to see if they are ok and if they reached their destinations (which of course they could have been kidnapped, or aimed for a planet already inhabited and now have to divert, or...)
- Find new technologies to upgrade their ship (anti-gravity, weapons, shields, material/structural...)

Thanks a lot LordEntrails . Many good ideas indeed

MadBeardMan
November 12th, 2017, 23:13
Evening All,

Just sent v1.0.3 upto FG.

Not a massive lot of changes, as this week I've been super busy with RL stuff.

Ruleset - Added Homeworlds (drag and drop onto the Character Sheet)
Theme - String changes for Homeworlds where possible (known as Homelands in OLD - and still on the Window Lists)
Reference Manual - Fixed a few typos. added the Homeworlds Data.

Next week I'll be fixing the Psionic Attacks damage type as well as adding some more features.

Cheers
MBM

ercsmith
November 25th, 2017, 19:37
I am having trouble editing the skill list, I am trying to add a new skill, dodge, I can open the blank create screen but can not add any text. I am able to create new equipment and the character and NPC screens all work fine. The exploit create screen lets me add the descriptors but not a title. Is there a step I am missing?

MadBeardMan
November 25th, 2017, 22:28
I am having trouble editing the skill list, I am trying to add a new skill, dodge, I can open the blank create screen but can not add any text. I am able to create new equipment and the character and NPC screens all work fine. The exploit create screen lets me add the descriptors but not a title. Is there a step I am missing?

Hello,

I'm working on 1.0.4. this weekend, there's no way to add the 'description' just yet, it's on my todo list, but as you've raised it I'll bump it up next after I complete the Party Sheet (hope to finish that tomorrow). Hope this is ok with you.

I try and get a new build out every other week, containing bugs reported first, then new features.

At the moment 1.0.4. contains:

Fixed Drugs, Vehicles and Cybernetics Items being not 'added' to the Inventory page when dragged these items.
Update Attribute Values when dragging a Species onto the character sheet
Allow the calculated fields (Jump/Carry etc) to be editable via a mini-pop-up screen (like Speed) so that any Exploits/Traits (entered manually) can override the calculated totals
Fixed missing exploits for Venetian's when dragging the Race to the character sheet
WORKING ON - Add the Party Sheet

Cheers
MBM

ercsmith
November 25th, 2017, 23:24
That is great with me thanks

MadBeardMan
November 26th, 2017, 16:19
Folks,

About to send 1.0.4. off to the good folks at FG.

Fixed - Drugs, Vehicles and Cybernetics Items being not 'added' to the Inventory page when dragged these items
Fixed - Fixed missing exploits for Venetian's when dragging the Race to the character sheet
Fixed - Attributes with a value of '3' will now correctly calculate the dice pool as '2' (and not 1) (Reported by MiShLoF via Twitter)
Fixed - the Venetian and Ogron species have been renamed to drop the 'S'. See below
Fixed - Correctly show 'Intuition' on attribute rolls, rather than 'Intelligence' (Reported by MiShLoF via Twitter)
Feature - Update Attribute Values when dragging a Species onto the character sheet
Feature - Added the Party Sheet Tab for the GM.
Update - Jump (Horizontal & Vertical) are no longer calculated, you can manually enter in the figures.

NOTE: The Ventian and Ogron species have been re-named (dropping the 's' from the end). This means the link no-longer works. You will need to drag the race back onto the character sheet, but note that the Attribute values WILL BE ADJUSTED - so make a note of them all before doing this so you can edit them back.

The next update, 1.0.5. aimed in 2 weeks should have the following, plus any bugs found in 1.0.4.

Feature - Update Attribute Values when dragging in a Homeland
Feature - Jump will be calculated once more using a mini-pop-up window. This will show fields Dice, Exploits, Race and Misc for both Horizontal & Vertical.
Update - Skills/Exploits will allow all fields to be editable (via the padlock)
Update - Make sure all reference text fits with the released v1.2 of the NEW rulebook.

Cheers
MBM

Paleotech
November 28th, 2017, 00:22
I'd like to make some changes to this ruleset for my group, but I can't seem to find the mod, ruleset or an extension for it in the respective folders.

Where can I find the code for this? Thanks!

damned
November 28th, 2017, 01:35
Newer rulesets are stored in the Vault for copyright protection.

Paleotech
November 28th, 2017, 02:14
So there is no longer any way to tweak new rulesets for our own groups?

damned
November 28th, 2017, 02:31
It appears that may be the case.
You would need to take it up with SmiteWorks directly.
For Call of Cthulhu we exposed the Strings so that it could be translated but further customisations are difficult.
I believe this has been driven by piracy/sharing of materials.

Bidmaron
November 28th, 2017, 05:32
No extensions then either. Wow that blows big time.

ddavison
November 28th, 2017, 15:25
The concern is more with the images and content, but the ruleset code gets included due to the way the vault is implemented for these. What sort of changes did you want to make with an extension? Since the ruleset is undergoing continued development and frequent updates, an extension that interacts could potentially lead to issues where new fixes are ignored or cause conflicts.

Bidmaron
November 28th, 2017, 17:14
I don't want to do anything to it with an extension, but I think I'd be less interested in any ruleset that could not be extended. But maybe I'm just weird on that.

ddavison
November 28th, 2017, 17:22
You can still build extensions and use extensions with it. You just won't be able to see the underlying ruleset code -- which does limit the nature of the extensions that you can program. If there were specific areas you were looking to extend, we could probably share those XML and LUA sections with you.

Bidmaron
November 28th, 2017, 18:39
That is a very reasonable compromise!

LordEntrails
November 29th, 2017, 04:09
... I'm just weird on that.
Can I quote you on this? *G*

You know, I'll save it to use until for some totally unrelated justification for something...

Bidmaron
November 29th, 2017, 04:51
Quote me as you wish, Lord because I probably won't remember it in two days anyway (sucks growing less young). If you listen to my wife, I am weird about a lot of things. (in addition to being hard of listening [vice hearing]).

LightBringer
December 6th, 2017, 09:18
I am working on a new SciFi setting for NEW, it'd be really awesome to have the option to create new traits and careers. Any idea?

Girwan
December 9th, 2017, 00:44
Some questions new in N.E.W. :)

1. How I can change some statistics on character age, e.g. speed, climb, initiative
2. I can use combat tracker to PSI fighting?5. Why I can't add new skills?
3. How I can add new equipments?
4. How I can put PSI Weapon to character sheet in Action page?

Maybe someone know answers?

MadBeardMan
December 9th, 2017, 06:36
Some questions new in N.E.W. :)

1. How I can change some statistics on character age, e.g. speed, climb, initiative
2. I can use combat tracker to PSI fighting?5. Why I can't add new skills?
3. How I can add new equipments?
4. How I can put PSI Weapon to character sheet in Action page?
5. Why I can't add new skills?

Maybe someone know answers?

Hello Girwan,

First off thanks for your questions. Please note in the 1st Post on this thread I asked for no PM's. My Inbox is chock full of messages and I don't want to reply direct as some of these answers might help other people.

Also asking in a forum might find other people can help you quicker.

I'm in the UK (no idea in the world where you are) so it can lead to you waiting if I'm busy (I was busy all day yesterday with a poorly child).

Anyway to answer your questions:

1. You can edit statistic simply by overwriting the current value. The dice pool will get adjusted.
1a. You can edit Movement stats (speed/climb swim) by clicking the magnifying glass to the right of those fields. This brings up a sub-window where you can enter more stats to calculate them.
1b. You can edit Initiative/Perception by clicking the magnifying glass to the right of those fields. This brings up a sub-window where you can enter more stats to calculate them.
2. Combat Tracker works off of Initiative, the attack type doesn't matter. You can use PSI actions, attack actions.
3. To add equipment - right click on the Equipment tab and select Create New.
4. At this moment in time you cannot add your own PSI attacks, it's coming in a future build (1.0.6)
5. To add a new skill - right click on the Skills tab and select Create New.

My thinking here is that you're not running the most recent version of the ruleset, the current version is 1.0.4.

Anyway I hope this helps, all but one of your questions have answers that you can find in the current version.

Cheers
MBM

MadBeardMan
December 9th, 2017, 06:38
I am working on a new SciFi setting for NEW, it'd be really awesome to have the option to create new traits and careers. Any idea?

Greetings Chap (I'm presuming here....).

I've checked v1.0.4. of the Ruleset and you can enter your own Traits. Right-Click in the Traits window and select Create-New.

Careers will soon be able to be created 'on the fly', this is coming in a future build. Not sure which build atm (working on 1.0.5. at the moment) as I'm fixing bugs first, then the most common things people want adding. So maybe 1.0.7. which should drop in January.

Cheers
MBM

Girwan
December 9th, 2017, 13:41
Hello Girwan,

First off thanks for your questions. Please note in the 1st Post on this thread I asked for no PM's. My Inbox is chock full of messages and I don't want to reply direct as some of these answers might help other people.

Also asking in a forum might find other people can help you quicker.

I'm in the UK (no idea in the world where you are) so it can lead to you waiting if I'm busy (I was busy all day yesterday with a poorly child).

Anyway to answer your questions:

1. You can edit statistic simply by overwriting the current value. The dice pool will get adjusted.
1a. You can edit Movement stats (speed/climb swim) by clicking the magnifying glass to the right of those fields. This brings up a sub-window where you can enter more stats to calculate them.
1b. You can edit Initiative/Perception by clicking the magnifying glass to the right of those fields. This brings up a sub-window where you can enter more stats to calculate them.
2. Combat Tracker works off of Initiative, the attack type doesn't matter. You can use PSI actions, attack actions.
3. To add equipment - right click on the Equipment tab and select Create New.
4. At this moment in time you cannot add your own PSI attacks, it's coming in a future build (1.0.6)
5. To add a new skill - right click on the Skills tab and select Create New.

My thinking here is that you're not running the most recent version of the ruleset, the current version is 1.0.4.

Anyway I hope this helps, all but one of your questions have answers that you can find in the current version.

Cheers
MBM

Thank you for responde, I'm from Poland so we have the same time (nearly :) ). I have ruleset v1.03.

You wrote that I can edit equipment and skills in character tab - I know. But, if I create my own universe, I want put new skills and I don't want write the same several times :( And there is problem, I can't put describes, and for exploits there is only one line for describes, if I need more (look on skills and exploits for Murphy's crew) I have problem.
Next problem I have with weapons - when I create my own weapon or gear, how I can check that this is weapon or gear and not scanner, backpack, food? I can't write soak value, damage, range etc.
Statistics - I saw glass, and look on it. But what with carry? I put Gorrat statistics from Murphy's crew and in oryginal he has other carry than on his sheet in my game :( But all other statistics are ok.
In ruleset you take (on skills tab) INT as Inteligence but in oryginal game (and Reference Manual) INT is Intuition. What is proper? For me it's very important becouse we have attribute Logic, which is like Inteligence, and on skill tab we must choose proper atribute for skill.

What with the ships? Do you plan special sheet for them? When I try put some vehicles from equipment to equipment tab in character sheet - I can't do it :( What if party owns some vehicles, how and where I can check it? :)

If you need tester for new funkcjonality - I'm ready :):):):)

MadBeardMan
December 9th, 2017, 14:13
Welcome from the UK, and sorry we're leaving the EU (silly people here).

Update to 1.0.4., it sorts out the Intelligence -> Intuiton.

If you want to add your 'own' content (ie for more than 1 game) then you need to create an extension and create your own data, but there's no details on this at the moment.

In a future build I'll add the ability to add your own descriptions for all the data. If you look at the First Post on these thread you can see what's 'working' and that's going to be done next. Plus the first post tells you which Version is 'out' from my side.

Cheers
MBM

Girwan
December 9th, 2017, 20:55
Welcome from the UK, and sorry we're leaving the EU (silly people here).

Update to 1.0.4., it sorts out the Intelligence -> Intuiton.

If you want to add your 'own' content (ie for more than 1 game) then you need to create an extension and create your own data, but there's no details on this at the moment.

In a future build I'll add the ability to add your own descriptions for all the data. If you look at the First Post on these thread you can see what's 'working' and that's going to be done next. Plus the first post tells you which Version is 'out' from my side.

Cheers
MBM

Thank you. You have a lot of work, Good Luck :)

LightBringer
December 10th, 2017, 00:01
Greetings Chap (I'm presuming here....).

I've checked v1.0.4. of the Ruleset and you can enter your own Traits. Right-Click in the Traits window and select Create-New.

Careers will soon be able to be created 'on the fly', this is coming in a future build. Not sure which build atm (working on 1.0.5. at the moment) as I'm fixing bugs first, then the most common things people want adding. So maybe 1.0.7. which should drop in January.

Cheers
MBM

Updated and just feeling better. Thanks again for your great work, system is really exciting.

OTG_Wraith
December 15th, 2017, 18:31
You need to set the local flag to false for the Luck Dice option. It's editable on the client's options list.

MadBeardMan
December 16th, 2017, 18:55
Hello,

Working on 1.0.5. at the moment (tonight and most of tomorrow) this is my design...

Fixed - Issue when dragging Human to the Species window (not adding the Expoits).
Update - When dragging Homelands to the Character Sheet the Stats will be updated.
Update - Carry will be editable (like I did for Jump). It will go back to Autocalculate when I add a mini-window (like Speed) to allow you to override/add to the calculated total. Should be in 1.0.6.
Update - Updated some of the Ruleset text from the offical 1.2 Rulebook (rather than the update notes I had).
Fixed - Added missing Exploits/Skills (found when adding Characters for the Xenomorph book).
Fixed - Noticed if you had 0 values for PSI it didn't add that to the Attribute Actions.

The above are already done, this is what else I hope to get done over this weekend.

Update - Add exploits when dragging Careers onto the Character Sheet.
Update - Allow Traits when added to have a description added.

Plus start on the adding 'links' on the Rulebook for Skills/Traits etc.

Cheers
MBM

Girwan
December 19th, 2017, 18:56
Hi, when you plan publish this update?

MadBeardMan
December 20th, 2017, 08:28
Hi, when you plan publish this update?

Morning,

With the holidays about to hit us, not exactly sure. I've got a final few bits left then I'll send it over.

In the New Year I plan to address the bigger stuff on the list.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
December 28th, 2017, 15:44
Back home, coding later tonight and tomorrow - going to finish 1.0.5. and get it over to the gang at FG.

Then onto 1.0.6.

hawkwind
December 29th, 2017, 11:32
Hi
I have discovered what I think is a bug, not sure if its unique to my machine, If you start a new N.E.W campaign with out the N.E.W ext running and then save restart the campaign with the Ext running it crashes FG and no I'm not running any other extensions. Also the Starship tactics skill is missing....on the subject star ships is there any plans to have a way of tracking starships and vehicles with their own NPC template or character sheet which can be added to the tracker?

keep up the good work and remember like painting the Forth a rule set in FG is never finished :)

hawkwind
December 30th, 2017, 13:09
the Doging skill is missing and on the skills tab under attribute you have Intelligence" rather than "Intuition"

MadBeardMan
December 30th, 2017, 22:28
the Doging skill is missing and on the skills tab under attribute you have Intelligence" rather than "Intuition"

Thanks for the spotting of Intelligence, I thought I had caught them all, I'll fix this in 1.0.5. Also thanks for the Starship Tactics, it's another skill that's not actually listed under Skills (pages 19/20 of 1.2).

Dodging was added in last update, are you sure you're running 1.0.4. Please make sure you are. To run WOiN you need to use the N.E.W. Extension though, but add the error you get please here so I can look at it for you.

Also thanks for the input here, it helps to make sure that I address anything that anyone might find.

Cheers
MBM

MadBeardMan
December 30th, 2017, 23:56
Folks,

About to send 1.0.5. over to FG.

Here's what's in it.

Fixed - Issue when dragging Human to the Species window (not adding the Expoits).
Update - When dragging Homelands to the Character Sheet the Stats will be updated.
Update - Carry will be editable (like I did for Jump). It will go back to Autocalculate when I add a mini-window (like Speed) to allow you to override/add to the calculated total. Should be in 1.0.6.
Update - Updated some of the Ruleset text from the offical 1.2 Rulebook (rather than the update notes I had).
Fixed - Added missing Exploits/Skills (found when adding Characters for the Xenomorph book, plus mentioned above ie Startship Tactics).
Fixed - Noticed if you had 0 values for PSI it didn't add that to the Attribute Actions.
Update - Add exploits when dragging Careers onto the Character Sheet.
Update - Added Vital Defenses to NPC's
Update - When dragging Careers onto the character sheet any Attributes bonuses are added to the character's attributes.
Fixed - Intuition showed under the Skill Attribute cycler rather than Intelligence
Update - Party Sheet tweaked

Plus other minor niggles, this is the version required for Xenomorphs.

I was hoping to add 'Add exploits when dragging Careers onto the Character Sheet.' but when I did the coding it dawned on me that you might have a choice of exploits, but only get to pick 1. So in the future I'll add a selection list.

1.0.6 will now be started to be worked on, it's going to be a big update, I'm hoping:

Replace weapons/psionic attacks with a much better system (so you can add your own)
Allow the calculated fields (Jump/Carry etc) to be editable via a mini-pop-up screen (like Speed) so that any Exploits/Traits can override the calculated totals
Allow SOAK to be 'calculated' based on Natural Armor, Physical Armor, Shield, Helmet, Exploits and Misc bonus.
Add flags to Weapons to indicate which of the SOAK 'types' it ignores - ie Desiccating touch. The hybrid's natural attack enables it to desiccate a victim by touch. Armor SOAK protects against this, but natural SOAK
does not.
Critical Hits. If an attack does multiple damage types (e.g. piercing/poison) then both statuses are inflicted on a critical hit (this will be an OPTION called 'Critical Hits "Simpler" or "Standard" - Simpler will inflict only the 1st damage type critical (as per current versions).

So as you can see, it's a big update to hopefully allow the ruleset to work with the many different weapons as I've completed the parsing of the OLD system. I need to modify the ruleset to work with Spells (hence the Replace Psionic attacks above).

Right onto 1.0.6 in the morning. I'll update the first post when I've built the updated files for this build.

Cheers
MBM

hawkwind
December 31st, 2017, 08:07
I started building the pre gens that come with the book and will post them in the new year. I tried some of the NPC's but stopped when I realised you can drag exploits from the library but you can't drag skills or equipment. Also while you can roll weapon attacks from the NPC's sheet you don't appear to be able to roll skill checks..

A" Cinematic " in the options would be helpful.

MadBeardMan
December 31st, 2017, 12:31
I started building the pre gens that come with the book and will post them in the new year. I tried some of the NPC's but stopped when I realised you can drag exploits from the library but you can't drag skills or equipment. Also while you can roll weapon attacks from the NPC's sheet you don't appear to be able to roll skill checks...

In the new Xenomorph's book there are 10 Pre-Gen's that I've manually added. So now I know how that works the Rulebooks Pre-Gens will be added in 1.0.6 if I find time.

NPC's are basic, they're designed to be quickly created by simply cutting and pasting the data in from the books, for example Death on Ascalaon - I cut and paste the skills etc into the Skills field. It auto-parses that and splits them into dice rolling sections, ie try cutting and pasting this into your NPC skills field:

negotiating 6 (3d6), bureaucracy 3 (2d6), bluffing 3 (2d6), law 3 (2d6), accounting 3 (2d6), politics 3 (3d6), bribery 6(3d6), computers 3 (2d6), perception 1 (1d6)

You'll see that now you can click each skill and it will roll the dice. For NPC's you have to use the desktop modifiers to add any additional dice for equipment, the attribute etc.

If NPC's were to be built like a character then it would take a very long time to add each one, so it's a trade off. Also being honest how long does an NPC last in a game, not that long normally (my group seem to blast most of them to death).

A" Cinematic " in the options would be helpful.

Explain to me what you mean and I'll see what I can do.

I've started to add WOiN to the User Guides on the FG wiki. It's located Here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/User_Guides). Small steps as it takes a lot of time, plus things are still changing in the ruleset.

Cheers
MBM

ercsmith
January 1st, 2018, 15:52
Thanks for all your work on this. I have a couple questions, for some reason I cant find dodge on the skill list either. Dodgeball but no dodge;-) I am running 1.04. I probably wouldn't mention it but I also still can't add new skills or exploits. equipment works fine. Again thanks for your time on this its looking great and I'm looking forward to seeing how you manage magic, seems like a challenge.

Eric

hawkwind
January 2nd, 2018, 11:30
by Cinematic there are various optional rules labelled like allowing equipment to to ignore the dice pool limitation on grade, pages 62 and 161 in the new book

Kosh Kaltu
January 3rd, 2018, 20:06
Dumb question #7468: Where can I get my hands on the latest updates for this system? I have WOIN for FG, but want to check out v1.0.6 ASAP! Please help?

damned
January 3rd, 2018, 22:14
Hi and welcome Kosh Kaltu
You can switch FG to Test mode and you will sometimes receive updates earlier but this update is not yet in the system.

MadBeardMan
January 4th, 2018, 01:00
Thanks for all your work on this. I have a couple questions, for some reason I cant find dodge on the skill list either. Dodgeball but no dodge;-) I am running 1.04. I probably wouldn't mention it but I also still can't add new skills or exploits. equipment works fine. Again thanks for your time on this its looking great and I'm looking forward to seeing how you manage magic, seems like a challenge.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Version 1.0.5 should be with you now, please check to see if Dodge is finally there!

Cheers

by Cinematic there are various optional rules labelled like allowing equipment to to ignore the dice pool limitation on grade, pages 62 and 161 in the new book

Hi Hawkwind,

Ah yes, I know what you mean now. Thanks, I'll look at this later, see what's needed and how easy.

Still working on 1.0.6.

Cheers
MBM

MadBeardMan
January 5th, 2018, 07:59
Morning All,

Progress on 1.0.6 continues along with me re-parsing the O.L.D. v1.1. rulebook.

This is what I hope 1.0.6. contains:

Complete - Replace weapons/psionic attacks with a much better system (so you can add your own)
Todo - Allow SOAK to be 'calculated' based on Natural Armor, Physical Armor, Shield, Helmet, Exploits and Misc bonus.
Todo - Add flags to Weapons to indicate which of the SOAK 'types' it ignores - ie Desiccating touch. The hybrid's natural attack enables it to desiccate a victim by touch. Armor SOAK protects against this, but not natural SOAK does not.
Todo - Critical Hits. If an attack does multiple damage types (e.g. piercing/poison) then both statuses are inflicted on a critical hit (this will be an OPTION called 'Critical Hits "Simpler" or "Standard" - Simpler will inflict only the 1st damage type critical (as per current versions).

As you can see this is all based around combat. I'm hoping with these changes that Combat is pretty much complete.

1.0.7. will focus on data, creating your own Exploits, Skills etc. I think going forward each update focusing on one area makes better sense.

Also 1.0.6. contains an updated N.E.W. Theme. I've optimised some of the images and changed the fonts to FGF format making the theme load so much quicker.

Cheers
MBM

Demonius
January 18th, 2018, 16:39
Hi Making a character today. Discovered Android Repair is missing from Exploits.
Also when creating a new exploit I can't seem to give it a name .

Demonius
January 18th, 2018, 16:43
Does anyone have a generic npc list you can import in to FG or do you have to write them all?

MadBeardMan
January 18th, 2018, 16:46
1. I'll add Android Repair in the next update.
2. Exploits and most data will be able to be fully created in 1.0.7 (which might roll into 1.0.6 - due end of the month).
3. I've been working on a free Bestiary for NPC's, slowly working on it, so you'll have to add your own unless someone else has built a library. Death on Ascalaon is coming soon, that's got a lot of NPC's in it, and it's free.

dragonheels
January 18th, 2018, 16:48
Fabulous! Big thanks and thumbs up!

Demonius
January 18th, 2018, 16:56
Ah ok. Cheers.
Yeah I saw Death in Ascalaon arrive today. I'll take a looksee.

I notice testing a skill check So stat has 7 (3d6) skill is 1 (1d6) shouldn't that be a 4d6 roll? However when I drag from the wee dice I'm only getting 3d6.

Sorry new to FG and WOIN so excuse me if I start talking out my arse.

Kosh Kaltu
January 18th, 2018, 22:04
Thanks! I've recently had memory loss due to medical problems and I'm trying to get back to normal. Simple things aren't so simple anymore, so I greatly appreciate your kind assistance. :-)

Kosh Kaltu
January 18th, 2018, 22:07
So how does it feel to be my hero? You're doing amazing work, and I look forward to following said work as long as you continue to build great new things! :-)

Demonius
January 19th, 2018, 13:10
Has anyone developed an XML to printable character sheet for this yet?

Demonius
January 20th, 2018, 07:31
Hi Colin,
Diplomacy skill is missing too.
cheers,
Dave

Demonius
January 22nd, 2018, 16:03
When I'm adding a new career the stats aren't updating in my version.

MadBeardMan
January 22nd, 2018, 16:06
When I'm adding a new career the stats aren't updating in my version.

What do you mean by 'adding' a new Career? Is this a completely new career, or are you dragging a career over onto the Character Sheet.

Thanks for pointing out Diplomacy, I'll add that tonight.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
January 22nd, 2018, 16:08
Ah ok. Cheers.
Yeah I saw Death in Ascalaon arrive today. I'll take a looksee.

I notice testing a skill check So stat has 7 (3d6) skill is 1 (1d6) shouldn't that be a 4d6 roll? However when I drag from the wee dice I'm only getting 3d6.

Sorry new to FG and WOIN so excuse me if I start talking out my arse.

Can you take a screen-shot and show me please, as the total at the end of the stat line should show 4 and thus roll 4d6.

Demonius
January 22nd, 2018, 16:15
What do you mean by 'adding' a new Career? Is this a completely new career, or are you dragging a career over onto the Character Sheet.

Thanks for pointing out Diplomacy, I'll add that tonight.

Cheers

Dragging a career onto the sheet. Sorry wasn't clear.

MadBeardMan
January 22nd, 2018, 16:16
Dragging a career onto the sheet. Sorry wasn't clear.

No problems, which career (any?) as it should update the chat window.

Demonius
January 23rd, 2018, 09:00
Latest update and the skill rolls are now working, thanks.

I'll check the careers again too but I created 5 characters of a wide variety of career and none of them updated. It might have been a quirk of my system. I'll check again .

MadBeardMan
January 23rd, 2018, 09:02
Latest update and the skill rolls are now working, thanks.

I'll check the careers again too but I created 5 characters of a wide variety of career and none of them updated. It might have been a quirk of my system. I'll check again .

Thanks for re-checking. I'm away on business for a few days, back for the end of the week where I hope to complete 1.0.6. I'll fix anything you find (and test it anyway).

Cheers

Girwan
January 24th, 2018, 21:12
MadBeardMan, do you plan any special forms for ships? On official websites are ships and I wonder that you plan put it to ruleset.

MadBeardMan
January 26th, 2018, 08:30
MadBeardMan, do you plan any special forms for ships? On official websites are ships and I wonder that you plan put it to ruleset.

Morning,

Yes - no real decisions as to when at the moment, but it's on the list once I finish off my current list.

Cheers

Viper007
March 4th, 2018, 02:21
Purchased the N.E.W. rule set and found some problems, most are minor and since this is new (according to what I have read), I expect they will be taken care of in time.

Two problems, however, are really holding me back and that is making new exploits to go with new species and npc's. I can create everything except the title of a new exploit.
It shows up in the list, but the title is blank. For skills, I cannot enter anything!

Another thing is text formatting when adding a new species. I cannot use bold/italic/underline, etc. Is this by design or am I missing something?

Overall, you have done a wonderful job with the rule set, many thanks for producing it!!

I hope they put a section up for just WOIN as it took me some time to actually find out where to post (I had to ask).

I am in process of making a setting and creating some adventures to sell on DTRPG, so would like to see about some discussion.

Thanks again,

MadBeardMan
March 6th, 2018, 10:10
Purchased the N.E.W. rule set and found some problems, most are minor and since this is new (according to what I have read), I expect they will be taken care of in time.

Two problems, however, are really holding me back and that is making new exploits to go with new species and npc's. I can create everything except the title of a new exploit.
It shows up in the list, but the title is blank. For skills, I cannot enter anything!

WOiN (N.E.W) is very very complex and open, very hard to to get it all in FG, so it will take a lot of time - but I'm working on it when I can (today for example).

The Exploit Title is on the Character Sheet Exploit tab, type it into there and when you click the Link button it will show it. Let me know if it's not working (can you add a screen shot please).
There's not a lot to enter for skills, there's no descriptions or nothing in the main rule book, I added which category (just for linking data), so I'm open for ideas.

Another thing is text formatting when adding a new species. I cannot use bold/italic/underline, etc. Is this by design or am I missing something?

When you add a new 'race/species' you get a big frame that's empty. You can type what you want into the body of that frame, if you select a bit of your text you can make it Bold, using CTRL + B (and so on). Plus if you right-click you can add Titles etc. It should all work. Let me know if it's not (can you add a screen shot please).

Overall, you have done a wonderful job with the rule set, many thanks for producing it!!

Thank you :)

I hope they put a section up for just WOIN as it took me some time to actually find out where to post (I had to ask).

I am in process of making a setting and creating some adventures to sell on DTRPG, so would like to see about some discussion.

Thanks again,

I've asked them a few times for a new section for WOiN, so if you're asking maybe they will, it will come, maybe when there are a lot more adventures etc. If you do create some adventures on DTRPG add them to FG if you can, and sell them here as well :)

v1.0.6. should be with FG later today btw.

Cheers
MBM

MadBeardMan
March 6th, 2018, 18:16
Afternoon All,

I'm calling it a day on 1.0.6, didn't do as much as I hoped due to time constraints, but a good update I think.

Complete - Replace weapons/psionic attacks with a much better system (so you can add your own)
Complete - Critical Hits. If an attack does multiple damage types (e.g. piercing/poison) then both statuses are inflicted on a critical hit (this will be an OPTION called 'Critical Hits "Simpler" or "Standard" - Simpler will inflict only the 1st damage type critical (as per current versions)
New - New option 'Critical Hits System'. It defaults to STANDARD (applies all damage types as Critical hits) but 'SIMPLE' will only apply the first one. Damage types should be separated by a comma, ie 'Heat,Blunt' but can has a space, 'Heat, Blunt' (case shouldn't matter)
New - From OTG_Wraith (cheers!) I've applied his Death Roll function, you can now roll (double-click/drag) and any 6's reduce the count....
New - Added a new option to automatically roll the Death Dice if a character is 0 or fewer wounds using OTG_Wraith's countdown script. Look for 'Death Dice Pool: Auto Roll', it defaults to NO.
Fixed - Fixed issue with Critical Hits if a weapon had more than 1 damage type
Fixed - NPC's Critical Hits never rolled for a Critical Effect/Condition
Updated - Character Sheet labels are tidied up in places, same with NPC for Weapon attacks on CT/NPC sheet
Updated - Exploits, added a few more I'd missed
Plus minor fixes, tidied data etc.

As you can see this is all based around combat. I'm hoping with these changes that Combat is a lot more solid, all it needs is a system for SOAK, however, the rules in the rulebook don't go into any detail regarding breaking it down in Natural, Physical etc. However 1.0.7. will have more details.

1.0.7. will also focus on data, Skills will get description field (though none exists in the main rulebook), plus I'll look into other areas - please mention here what data you'd like to edit.

Going forward each update focusing mainly on one area (and fixing any bugs). Now that Starfinder is out, I should look at Starships/Vehicles soon.

Also 1.0.6. contains an updated N.E.W. Theme. I've optimised some of the images and changed the fonts to FGF format making the theme load so much quicker, down from 25 seconds on my dev desktop to less than 3.

Cheers
MBM

Kosh Kaltu
March 7th, 2018, 23:50
MadBeardMan, you've done some serious work!

Can't wait to try out 1.0.6 and eager to see 1.0.7. (I check for updates every day like a kid looking for Santa.)

Ever your fan!

...DM

MadBeardMan
March 9th, 2018, 20:04
MadBeardMan, you've done some serious work!

Can't wait to try out 1.0.6 and eager to see 1.0.7. (I check for updates every day like a kid looking for Santa.)

Ever your fan!

...DM

Thanks for the kind words, so going forward I'd be interested in knowing what the players want next. I am looking at Vehicles/Starships next week for example....

Cheers
MBM

Kosh Kaltu
March 9th, 2018, 21:23
Thanks for the kind words, so going forward I'd be interested in knowing what the players want next. I am looking at Vehicles/Starships next week for example....

Cheers
MBM

Vehicles and Starships - WOW! That's a tough one to wrap one's brain around. I would be curious to see how you handle the overlap. For instance, if a starship (fighter) encounters an atmospheric craft, the velocity and scale of movement are a mess as they're written in the WOIN system, and both vehicles are similar in size, but the weapons are waaay different. I'm curious to see how you marry those beasts together. The starfighter would have to slow its speed to a crawl just to shoot at anything on the vehicle scale. Any thoughts on that?

...DM

damned
March 9th, 2018, 22:22
Vehicles and Starships - WOW! That's a tough one to wrap one's brain around. I would be curious to see how you handle the overlap. For instance, if a starship (fighter) encounters an atmospheric craft, the velocity and scale of movement are a mess as they're written in the WOIN system, and both vehicles are similar in size, but the weapons are waaay different. I'm curious to see how you marry those beasts together. The starfighter would have to slow its speed to a crawl just to shoot at anything on the vehicle scale. Any thoughts on that?

hehehe... inspiring words there Kosh Kaltu!
Good luck MadBeardMan!

Viper007
March 10th, 2018, 04:49
The Exploit Title is on the Character Sheet Exploit tab, type it into there and when you click the Link button it will show it. Let me know if it's not working (can you add a screen shot please).
There's not a lot to enter for skills, there's no descriptions or nothing in the main rule book, I added which category (just for linking data), so I'm open for ideas.

This works as you explain it, and I found that I can place it in the Exploit List by dragging and dropping, then dragging and dropping to a created group (optional of course). While this works for my purposes, it requires making a character first. Many people may find this difficult when you cannot add an Exploit to the Exploit list, using the buttons at the bottom of the list box (hence the problem I first encountered, does not allow a title to be created).

As far as skills, the situation is the same, make a skill in character sheet, drag & drop, as above. Again while this works for my purposes, it also requires making a character first.

For ideas, I would allow entry for new skills thru the skill list, second, add a section for controlling attribute(s) (sadly lacking in the main rule book) and third, a category (as you already have). The attribute section should allow room for multiple lines of text for possible modifications.

When you add a new 'race/species' you get a big frame that's empty. You can type what you want into the body of that frame, if you select a bit of your text you can make it Bold, using CTRL + B (and so on). Plus if you right-click you can add Titles etc. It should all work. Let me know if it's not (can you add a screen shot please).

Ahh!! Forgot about the html commands, was looking for the radial option as in the story section, enuf said!!

Also, looking forward to the vehicle/starship section as per Kosh Kaltu post #158.

Your quick reply and information has really helped me to continue on my quest to provide a new setting and new adventures for sci-fi fans out there. So keep up the great work!!

As in the first movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still"; we will be watching!

Trenloe
March 11th, 2018, 20:29
Ahh!! Forgot about the html commands, was looking for the radial option as in the story section, enuf said!!
Info on shortcut commands here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Formatted_Text_Fields

ianmward
March 20th, 2018, 21:53
WoiN is now on Bundle of Holding, in case anyone is missing the PDFs

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/WOIN?utm_source=sendy&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=289WOIN

Morrus
March 22nd, 2018, 15:13

...DM

I haven't tried it, but I would just give a starfighter 3 times its speed at that scale -- a ship which moves at SPEED 8 in space moves at SPEED 24 in an atmosphere; the atmosphere slows it down. It's super bad physics, but it should work well enough for gameplay. Any faster than that, and it's not really in the same encounter area!

Cramdor
March 25th, 2018, 23:10
Hi MadBeardMan,
first of all thanks for your great work on providing us with this cool ruleset :-) !
Is there a way of adding LUCK-Dice to an attack roll done via the entries I put in "Weapon Attacks" and/or "Psionic Attacks" as described in the Combat Chapter of the rules like in the "Attribute Actions" so that e.g. additional damage dice have the Chance to explode?

Cramdor

Nylanfs
March 26th, 2018, 00:57
Welcome to the forum and FG Community Cramdor!

damned
March 26th, 2018, 02:40
And welcome Morrus too... that name seems familiar... :)

Nylanfs
March 26th, 2018, 14:12
It's probably some random internet nobody, maybe he has a blog or something. :P

spoofer
March 27th, 2018, 12:40
Hi fellow W.O.I.N. fans,

I am looking for some advice. I just picked up the bundle of holding, and I love everything about this rule set. I am preparing Xenomorphs for my group. I am planning on using the pregens, and rewarding players for character death as follows. Each time your character dies, the new character's dice pool maximum size increases by one, from 5d6 to 6d6 to 7d6, etc. That way they should not feel completely useless near the end. But I don't yet have a feel for how hard a monster is. Just doing some simple math, the xenomophs seem to me to be impossible to kill. I appreciate that this is a gritty setting, but if the players feel completely useless, then they will hate the system and will not want to never play it again. We will be stuck playing 5E forever.

Is the adventure that one sided? Or am I not understanding how combat works? I have yet to actually play the game. I am hoping for a final chase scene with the party cutting down several of the xenomorphs while being gradually overwhelmed. I don't want the following.

Player attacks but misses. Repeat several times. Player final hits, but all of the damage is soaked up. Meanwhile, xenomorph slaughters entire party. I know my players. They will not enjoy that at all.

Can someone who has actually ran this give me some feedback and advice? Is it so hopeless for the PCs? If so, what is the best way to balance it a bit more? If at all possible, I really want to run this adventure, but I am having some doubts about my group enjoying it.

Thanks, Kevin

Morrus
March 27th, 2018, 12:55
Hi fellow W.O.I.N. fans,

I am looking for some advice. I just picked up the bundle of holding, and I love everything about this rule set. I am preparing Xenomorphs for my group. I am planning on using the pregens, and rewarding players for character death as follows. Each time your character dies, the new character's dice pool maximum size increases by one, from 5d6 to 6d6 to 7d6, etc. That way they should not feel completely useless near the end. But I don't yet have a feel for how hard a monster is. Just doing some simple math, the xenomophs seem to me to be impossible to kill. I appreciate that this is a gritty setting, but if the players feel completely useless, then they will hate the system and will not want to never play it again. We will be stuck playing 5E forever.

Is the adventure that one sided? Or am I not understanding how combat works? I have yet to actually play the game. I am hoping for a final chase scene with the party cutting down several of the xenomorphs while being gradually overwhelmed. I don't want the following.

Player attacks but misses. Repeat several times. Player final hits, but all of the damage is soaked up. Meanwhile, xenomorph slaughters entire party. I know my players. They will not enjoy that at all.

Can someone who has actually ran this give me some feedback and advice? Is it so hopeless for the PCs? If so, what is the best way to balance it a bit more? If at all possible, I really want to run this adventure, but I am having some doubts about my group enjoying it.

Thanks, Kevin

That particular adventure is indeed meant to be very one-sided. It's firmly survival horror - the xenomorphs aren't supposed to be fought (they could take on a Breedspawn or two, but not the bigger ones unless they manage to corner one on its own, and definitely not the Matriarch), and PCs are supposed to die. It should play out a lot like an Alien movie.

I would use that adventure as a one-shot at Halloween or something, not as your intro to the system. It would be fun for a group of players taking a break from a longer campaign to do something completely different, but I think it's only fair to warn them in advance about the genre of that adventure.

Nylanfs
March 27th, 2018, 19:22
You could play it out as the PC's were trying out a VR game. :)

spoofer
March 27th, 2018, 23:58
You could play it out as the PC's were trying out a VR game. :)

Thanks for the responses. So written as is, it certainly would not work for us. I love the rule set and the setting. And there are only two adventures available in the FG store.

I think I will just try my best to tweak it. Any suggestions? Halving the Defence values, soak and HP would work.... and of course increase the number on enemies. I still wantthe party to be overwhelmed.

mac40k
April 3rd, 2018, 18:39
I don't have any suggestion for modding an existing module, and I understand the attraction of using pre-built modules, but I've been using FG for 10 years and never paid for an adventure in FG. In most cases, all you need to do is enter the NPCs (although I can't speak to WOIN specifically, this is largely a cut and paste activity in many rulesets if working from a pdf, but most adventures don't have too many unique NPCs to make manual entry a daunting task), set up the encounters, and bring in maps if you use them, which could be as easy as copying and re-scaling one included with the adventure, or finding a suitable substitute online. Even if you might prefer using a nice professionally created map, FG supports just sketching something out, like you would on a dry or wet erase gridded surface used in person for gaming. You don't need custom tokens, although again they are ridiculously easy to make with TokenTool, and can get by with proxies even if they are just the letter tokens included with FG. Then run the game pretty much like you would at an actual tabletop, referencing the adventure on a tablet, printed copy, etc. You don't need to have all of the text of the adventure in FG, although it is also easy to do via copy/paste from a pdf if you want to spend the time doing so.

In short, don't let the lack of adventures in the FG store limit your options.

spoofer
April 4th, 2018, 03:22
Hi Mac,

Thanks for your comments. I prefer pre-made stuff simply because it is so much better than what I could write, and of course the time commitment is too much for me personally. And considering that anyone can write material and publish it for this system, I assume it is only a matter of time before there is lots of good stuff in the FG store. Also, one of the players in my group is really keen to run his own 5E campaign. He is all set to start and we need something now, so that decides it. But I hope to run something with this rule set after that.

Girwan
April 4th, 2018, 07:03
I prefer pre-made modules, but they are so expensive. Sometimes I prepare my own modules to several campaigns, but I do it when I know that I use it several times. And becouse that I work on two computers.

mac40k
April 4th, 2018, 18:02
Hi Mac,

Thanks for your comments. I prefer pre-made stuff simply because it is so much better than what I could write, and of course the time commitment is too much for me personally. And considering that anyone can write material and publish it for this system, I assume it is only a matter of time before there is lots of good stuff in the FG store. Also, one of the players in my group is really keen to run his own 5E campaign. He is all set to start and we need something now, so that decides it. But I hope to run something with this rule set after that.

I rely heavily on pre-written adventures myself, mostly due to a lack of confidence in my own creative skills. :D However, the availability of pre-written adventures does not automatically translate into the expectation that they will at some point be available in the FG store. EN Publishing has a pretty liberal policy on creating published material with their WOIN Community Publishing Syndicate; however, it would be up to the content creator to create the FG version of an adventure they published or contract that out to someone else to do. Depending on whether or not an adventure creator has the resources (time/skills/money) to do this, they may not see the sales of FG content being worth the investment. Also, while anyone can create a FG module for an adventure for their own use, you can't even give it away, let alone sell it without getting the permission of the adventure creator to do so and work out any financial agreement for that to occur.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but WOIN is not nearly as popular as D&D, so if you're waiting for adventures to be available in the FG store, you may not want to hold your breath. Personally, I'd be happy to be proven wrong BTW.

MadBeardMan
April 9th, 2018, 10:42
I'm sure Russ @ EN Publishing would love people to convert his adventures, I'm busy on the ruleset (and OLD) otherwise I'd convert a few more. Plus the new Starship book is out, I just wish I had more time, I'm also finishing up my Traveller ruleset, gotta get that baby out.

Viper007
April 13th, 2018, 18:21
As mentioned in an earlier post, I am working on adventures for this ruleset, but they are far from being complete. The first few will be included with the new setting material that is in the works, but I plan to add more singular adventures as time permits.
This will be available (i hope) on DTRPG and FG. But the main reason I bring this up is that I see very little discussion on what people would like to see in the way of adventures not only here on FG, but elsewhere as well!

That being said, I also wonder if it would be better to start a separate discussion thread (which I would be glad to start) and keep ruleset questions here or is it fine for both?? I would really like to get some input from you Sci Fi fans out there!!!

Thanks, Viper

MadBeardMan
April 13th, 2018, 18:38
As mentioned in an earlier post, I am working on adventures for this ruleset, but they are far from being complete. The first few will be included with the new setting material that is in the works, but I plan to add more singular adventures as time permits.
This will be available (i hope) on DTRPG and FG. But the main reason I bring this up is that I see very little discussion on what people would like to see in the way of adventures not only here on FG, but elsewhere as well!

That being said, I also wonder if it would be better to start a separate discussion thread (which I would be glad to start) and keep ruleset questions here or is it fine for both?? I would really like to get some input from you Sci Fi fans out there!!!

Thanks, Viper

Chap, create a new thread with all your great ideas for new adventures! Contract Russ @ En Publishing and ask him if you can convert those adventures as well if you wanted.

Cheers
MBM

MadBeardMan
April 16th, 2018, 10:37
Morning All,

I've finished Mongoose Traveller 1st Edition ruleset, so back on WOiN for a bit, enough to create 1.0.7.

My plan is to do the following:

Add flags to Weapons to indicate which of the SOAK 'types' it ignores - ie Desiccating touch. The hybrid's natural attack enables it to desiccate a victim by touch. Armor SOAK protects against this, but natural SOAK does not.
Fix bugs found.

Then work on O.L.D. which needs spells working and that's about it.

So if you want anything, it'll be released in May, please reply here and I'll add it to the list if it's not a big job.

Cheers,
MBM

k410
May 14th, 2018, 02:00
Thanks for your work on the conversion, MBM! WOiN is one of the first addons I have bought for FG. I like the look of that theme in the screenshots.

MadBeardMan
May 14th, 2018, 07:20
Thanks for your work on the conversion, MBM! WOiN is one of the first addons I have bought for FG. I like the look of that theme in the screenshots.

Thanks for the kind words. The community has gone a bit quiet on WOiN, I posted a few weeks back looking for suggestions for the next update.

Cheers,
MBM

Kosh Kaltu
May 15th, 2018, 18:41
Hey, MBM!

When you asked about suggestions, I kept a little quiet because it looks like you have a good bit of work just adding the features you've listed.

Not sure if I've missed something, but I noticed that my version of WOIN doesn't allow me to add custom weapons and gear. (If it does, I've missed a step somewhere and I apologize for wasting your time.) Being able to do this would make my year!

Anyway, I think you're crushing it with what you've done thus far and I am still eagerly looking forward to each new addition.

Thank you.

MadBeardMan
May 18th, 2018, 22:22
Hey, MBM!

When you asked about suggestions, I kept a little quiet because it looks like you have a good bit of work just adding the features you've listed.

Not sure if I've missed something, but I noticed that my version of WOIN doesn't allow me to add custom weapons and gear. (If it does, I've missed a step somewhere and I apologize for wasting your time.) Being able to do this would make my year!

Anyway, I think you're crushing it with what you've done thus far and I am still eagerly looking forward to each new addition.

Thank you.

Greetings,

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with RL and stuff. I'll add custom weapons and gear to the next update, will get on that as soon as I can (end of next week).

Cheers,
MBM

Kosh Kaltu
May 19th, 2018, 12:51
And that's why you're the KING!

MadBeardMan
May 20th, 2018, 19:22
And that's why you're the KING!

Cheers for that :) I'll post here once I begin on the update.

timdog88
May 27th, 2018, 16:28
Just bringing this post over to the correct forum. I would like to request a bestiary for WOIN to help with building adventures. Any other material would be great too, but I think a bestiary is the main need for me. Thanks for the great work on this.

ercsmith
May 27th, 2018, 18:01
Good Morning MBM, at least its morning here. I was hoping to start an OLD campaign this summer, are you still planning putting out a module for that this spring? Thanks for your work on this.

Kosh Kaltu
June 11th, 2018, 19:01
Cheers for that :) I'll post here once I begin on the update.

Hey, MBM! Just wondering how things were going (and letting you know that your fans are still out here). Hope you're well and looking forward to your next update.
:-)

Kosh Kaltu
June 28th, 2018, 18:03
I'll post here once I begin on the update.

Hey, MadBeardMan! Just wondering whether you were still working on this project. Haven't heard from you in a while and I'm hoping that you're well. Take care!

Calisto
July 6th, 2018, 05:01
I would like to modify the theme for WOIN but not sure if that is possible. I see the WOiN NEW Setting extension when loading a campaign but it's not in my extension folder. I gather it's locked up with the ruleset. Is there a way to access the them and modify? I've made a few simple modifications on other themes when they were separate extensions. Would love to know if there is a way to do this for WOiN!

MadBeardMan
July 22nd, 2018, 18:12
Hey, MadBeardMan! Just wondering whether you were still working on this project. Haven't heard from you in a while and I'm hoping that you're well. Take care!

Hello,

That I am, just been far too busy on unrelated to FG/RPG stuff :( There will be an update soon, well I hope so, still need to finish designing the magic system for O.L.D.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
July 22nd, 2018, 18:13
I would like to modify the theme for WOIN but not sure if that is possible. I see the WOiN NEW Setting extension when loading a campaign but it's not in my extension folder. I gather it's locked up with the ruleset. Is there a way to access the them and modify? I've made a few simple modifications on other themes when they were separate extensions. Would love to know if there is a way to do this for WOiN!

Hello,

Alas they are all locked to the ruleset, so there's no way to access them :(

What exactly are you after, I did the theme so might be able to help.

Cheers,
MBM

Kosh Kaltu
July 22nd, 2018, 18:36
Hello,

That I am, just been far too busy on unrelated to FG/RPG stuff :( There will be an update soon, well I hope so, still need to finish designing the magic system for O.L.D.

Cheers,
MBM

I kinda’ figured that the season might add a bit to your personal activity. The summer always draws me out of my cave. LOL. Glad to hear from you!

MadBeardMan
July 22nd, 2018, 18:45
I kinda’ figured that the season might add a bit to your personal activity. The summer always draws me out of my cave. LOL. Glad to hear from you!

Haha yes, it's far too hot here for me, around 30c at the moment (I like the freezing cold). Built myself a new monster PC last weekend, so sitting here re-installing everything, not a fan of Windows but need it for my games and stuff.

Working for the UK Government at the moment which kills my brain off around 5pm each day! Back in the chair though as they say, finishing up Traveller 1.0.7. and a CoC book then back onto WOiN. Looking forward to finishing up O.L.D.

Cheers,
MBM

Magnimost
September 25th, 2018, 21:39
What's the status of the project?

There's a KS campaign for Judge Dredd (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/enworld/judge-dredd-and-the-worlds-of-2000-ad-roleplaying/description) that just launched, already blasted through the stretch goals. It's based on WOIN (https://www.woinrpg.com/) system.

Is Judge Dredd something which would be easy to use with this ruleset? I guess at least character sheets should be created.

Stx11
September 26th, 2018, 15:04
What's the status of the project?

There's a KS campaign for Judge Dredd (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/enworld/judge-dredd-and-the-worlds-of-2000-ad-roleplaying/description) that just launched, already blasted through the stretch goals. It's based on WOIN (https://www.woinrpg.com/) system.

Is Judge Dredd something which would be easy to use with this ruleset? I guess at least character sheets should be created.

Yep now is the perfect time to pull interest into this rule-set!

There's been a request in the Kickstarter for FG-Related Stretch Goals if we can somehow get people at SW talking to people at Rebellion?

It would be awesome to see 2000AD come to "virtual life" in FG :D

Hopefully we can get a MBM-sighting soon and finally see progress on Starships and O.L.D. too!

Hlynrian
October 4th, 2018, 07:02
No, not weird, I feel the same way. It seems like one of the best features of Fantasy Grounds is going away.

Kosh Kaltu
November 5th, 2018, 16:49
Hey, MBM? Here's hoping that the season finds you well. Do you have any news for us on WOIN? Still eagerly waiting....

Kosh Kaltu
November 19th, 2018, 21:32
Hey, MBM!

Now that the weather is getting nice and cold again, are we going to see more updates for WOIN?

GrimmStories
December 23rd, 2018, 22:18
Been having issues with the writing notes that keeps popping error page when attempting to type. When will we see MBM be able to get on this ruleset again?

Magnimost
February 2nd, 2019, 12:17
Looks like this ruleset is not supported anymore? I'd like to try this out with Judge Dredd as it uses WOIN.

It's sold at full price in the store. I know about the 30-day money back guarantee, but I'm afraid to buy it if there aren't even bug fixes or assurances it will work with future versions of FG.

Stx11
February 2nd, 2019, 17:22
Yeah I'm seriously thinking about contacting the author/creator of WOIN to let him know what's going on.

Selling a "beta ruleset" at full price without letting people know its current state and lack of support does nothing good for FG or WOIN.

Magnimost
February 2nd, 2019, 23:41
Selling a "beta ruleset" at full price without letting people know its current state and lack of support does nothing good for FG or WOIN.

Agreed.

On the other hand, I really want to play Judge Dredd and the only way I can play is via FG, so I'd be OK with just functional ruleset. 30 days should be enough to test it out thoroughly, but there's always the risk that something gamebreaking will happen in the future, and if the author is unresponsive or MIA, that does not reflect well on FG or WOIN.

Stx11
February 3rd, 2019, 00:07
Oh I do too and my comment wasn't a criticism of your request.

N.E.W. was never fully-implemented let alone N.O.W. and O.L.D. and it's a real shame. I think there have been 3-4 sales where I passed up on purchasing it simply because it appears to be a "dead beta" at this point. It's too expensive for "abandon-ware" no matter how much I love WOIN or FG :(

Nylanfs
February 3rd, 2019, 01:21
Haha yes, it's far too hot here for me, around 30c at the moment (I like the freezing cold). Built myself a new monster PC last weekend, so sitting here re-installing everything, not a fan of Windows but need it for my games and stuff.

Working for the UK Government at the moment which kills my brain off around 5pm each day! Back in the chair though as they say, finishing up Traveller 1.0.7. and a CoC book then back onto WOiN. Looking forward to finishing up O.L.D.

Cheers,
MBM

MBM, some people are inquiring as to the status of the sets. Quoting you to make sure you see it. :)

LordEntrails
February 3rd, 2019, 01:32
MBM, some people are inquiring as to the status of the sets. Quoting you to make sure you see it. :)
The FG forums don't have notifications, except for PMs :(

damned
February 3rd, 2019, 01:42
I have no additional info - I suspect that this ruleset may have had disappointing sales and the dev is prioritisng their time elsewhere.
Of course that is a catch 22 - no time spent will keep sales low, however if sales are significantly lower than the dev might have expected the writing might be clear to them...
This is (afaik) what happened with mutants & masterminds...

An update by the Dev or SmiteWorks could help clarify the situation.

damned
February 3rd, 2019, 02:03
And as a follow up - if that is the case then Im sure SmiteWorks would be interested in talking to another Dev if they were considering taking it on.
Especially if they think they could turn that around - assuming that anything I wrote above was close to the mark.

MadBeardMan
February 3rd, 2019, 12:37
I have an update to WOIN for O.L.D, though O.L.D. was never updated to 1.2 which the ruleset is based upon. I've recently asked again for this and for N.O.W. but nothing has yet appeared. I'll chase again.

GrimmStories
February 9th, 2019, 05:14
Would it be possible to get some patches for the current stuff to fix some the issues or will the OLD patch all of the WOINs current issues?

MadBeardMan
February 9th, 2019, 16:52
Would it be possible to get some patches for the current stuff to fix some the issues or will the OLD patch all of the WOINs current issues?

Yes, there's an update coming soon for WOIN (I'm continuing on it next weekend) to address the issues raised, I've commented out the code for OLD from it recently.

Cheers,
MBM

irishrelief
February 27th, 2019, 22:39
What is the current status of this? Why is this in the Vault? EN Publishing not only allows but supports 3rd party creation using their WOIN properties to spread the property.
Third-party publishers are free to create and sell content for What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. You can create sourcebooks, adventures, resources, expansions, and so on, and indicate compatibility. You can also make or sell electronic applications. The license is free, and you do not need to ask permission or submit an application to use it - just make sure you understand how it works and publish away!WOIN (https://www.woinrpg.com/community-tools-sharing-3pps)

There are quite a few things in this full price rule set that are missing or not working. It does not appear any work has been done since before July 2018. Included in the missing items are: exploits do not transfer when dragging careers to add a grade, D66 table is not integrated, adding grades in a career does not adjust stat block, obviously creating a class does not allow for stats or exploits either. This doesn't even address issues of trying to use the rule set without the NEW extension. Which has missing text in the character sheet as a place to start.

Those are just a few that I have found trying to adapt this for my own uses, without the ability to fix things as I find them as the source code is locked away. Again I ask, what is the status? There have been talks in these 22 pages of working on OLD, and Traveler. What of finishing the base set of rules? Understand I am only critical because this is the third time I have purchased WOIN, and I cannot abide paying full price for something broken that I cannot fix myself.

GrimmStories
March 1st, 2019, 23:45
Look above your post.

irishrelief
March 2nd, 2019, 00:05
Look above your post.

Look at the dates. That was nearly a month ago. If you look at the post history there has been a spotty record at best over the last year as far as communication is concerned. I have money invested in this, I want to know where it sits since it isn't a finished product, so I can refund and try to build on my own as needed or know that it hasn't actually been abandoned so I can stay invested.

GrimmStories
March 2nd, 2019, 00:29
I have money invested in it too, but he has responded within the last month stating he has OLD mostly complete(but can't release) and will comment it out OLD to update the current system. Which could cause more issues and might have to recode it a bit.

irishrelief
March 2nd, 2019, 13:33
I have money invested in it too, but he has responded within the last month stating he has OLD mostly complete(but can't release) and will comment it out OLD to update the current system. Which could cause more issues and might have to recode it a bit.

I am glad you have confidence in the sporadic posting and updates over the last year and change. The last update is clocked at or around July.

MadBeardMan
March 2nd, 2019, 17:53
Hello,

I've spent the last week re-writing the CT, as it got broken by changes to CoreRPG. It's still in progress.

Still zero news from EN Publishing about OLD or NOW, plus no other adventures to convert or anything else.

I enjoy coding for FG, though I have to prioritise what I work on as my time machine hasn't yet been invented.

I've also learn an awful lot working on Traveller and some of that is being put into WOiN.

WOiN is the only thing I'm working on at the moment until the update is ready to go, which I hope to be in the following week.

Thanks,
MBM

Stx11
March 2nd, 2019, 20:46
Hi there MBM!!!

While OLD isn't quire ready to go, Judge Dredd and 2000AD uses the same system. I'm sure there are legal/licencing issues on setting/source material but have you checked to see if the core system got any refinements, updates, or enhancements?

MadBeardMan
March 2nd, 2019, 20:51
Hi there MBM!!!

While OLD isn't quire ready to go, Judge Dredd and 2000AD uses the same system. I'm sure there are legal/licencing issues on setting/source material but have you checked to see if the core system got any refinements, updates, or enhancements?

Greetings,

I'm awaiting my JD books, they get sent next week I think, I have the PDF's somewhere..... I doubt Rebillion would allow a digital licence for JD/2000AD as I know they just bought a local computer games company. Now regarding the refinements/updates, that's very possible. I don't have time to look through JD though, not yet, just applied for a spanking new day job, so upskilling around coding the CT for WOiN.

Cheers,
MBM

Stx11
March 2nd, 2019, 20:53
Excellent!

I pinged Russ on the WOiN FB group that you were seeking info on the status of OLD and any core system updates. Hopefully he'll be able to get back to you soon!

MadBeardMan
March 2nd, 2019, 20:57
Excellent!

I pinged Russ on the WOiN FB group that you were seeking info on the status of OLD and any core system updates. Hopefully he'll be able to get back to you soon!

I expect he's just very very busy. As N.O.W. uses the 1.2 system and was released last summer. In theory that could simply be converted with new data etc. O.L.D. has spells etc, I've written a similar system for Traveller so going to steal that when it comes to it (same with Starships!).

Cheers

GrimmStories
March 3rd, 2019, 23:34
I am glad you have confidence in the sporadic posting and updates over the last year and change. The last update is clocked at or around July.

Incorrect, but nice try.

MadBeardMan
March 3rd, 2019, 23:55
Sent off 1.0.7 to FG, it's got the new CT (re-wrote it).

Middle-end of last year wasn't good, Mother was ill (in-out of Hospital), i've got a Kidney stone (waiting on the Op), broke a darn tooth which nearly killed me with the pain and my eldest has had a lot of trouble at school, possibly the curse of the FG developer. Over the past week an update for Traveller (1.0.9) and this update for WOiN.

Cheers,
MBM

Stx11
March 4th, 2019, 02:35

Middle-end of last year wasn't good, Mother was ill (in-out of Hospital), i've got a Kidney stone (waiting on the Op), broke a darn tooth which nearly killed me with the pain and my eldest has had a lot of trouble at school, possibly the curse of the FG developer. Over the past week an update for Traveller (1.0.9) and this update for WOiN.

Cheers,
MBM

Sorry to hear about all the troubles. Definitely hope the worst is behind you and your family now.

Can't wait to see the update!

Kosh Kaltu
March 5th, 2019, 17:41

Cheers,
MBM

Hopefully, life will soon change for the better for you, MBM!

I've had a rough few years, myself, and can sympathize.

Faith manages...

irishrelief
March 5th, 2019, 23:39
Hi there MBM!!!

Rebellion has the rights to the 2000ad properties. So we could only take the functional portion (WOIN) which we have anyways. Besides new robots, exploits, and items the only big change I see is the challenge ratings seem to have been all dropped by 1. The books also have some errata, which Morris has a thread for on EN World.

irishrelief
March 20th, 2019, 00:48

Cheers,
MBM

Is it possible to get patch notes to see what has changed in 1.07? I do not see any changes yet and I would like to know what improvements have been made so I can recognize them.

victusfate
March 31st, 2019, 16:54
where do I find careers to add to characters (going through character creation now)?
also any other WOIN content out, OLD, NOW, etc?

I'm on Mac OS , here's what I see for careers atm

irishrelief
March 31st, 2019, 17:55
where do I find careers to add to characters (going through character creation now)?
also any other WOIN content out, OLD, NOW, etc?

I'm on Mac OS , here's what I see for careers atm

Did you try opening the library and choosing the careers button there? It would make sense that you got nothing on a blank career. Also, do not expect to drag and drop a career and get automation. You will need to go in and edit your stats, exploits, and any other changes you need to make when leveling.

victusfate
March 31st, 2019, 19:19
Not seeing careers yet, I'll keep checking around the UI, on my windows system again to see if it was a cross platform issue.
Thanks @irishrelief -> I'm sorta stuck atm (better off playing/dm'ing elsewhere until I can make some progress)

Found it! It's not a UI option (huh?) it's built in to each module/source book

irishrelief
March 31st, 2019, 19:35
Not seeing careers yet, I'll keep checking around the UI, on my windows system again to see if it was a cross platform issue.
Thanks @irishrelief -> I'm sorta stuck atm (better off playing/dm'ing elsewhere until I can make some progress)

There were quite a few reasons I requested a refund. A lot of features are missing or do not work as intended. No way to work on it ourselves, the creator seems to have stopped working on it and doesnt respond to questions (he posted on his other creation today but hasn't answered/updated his recent update to this one).

esmdev
March 31st, 2019, 23:24
There were quite a few reasons I requested a refund. A lot of features are missing or do not work as intended. No way to work on it ourselves, the creator seems to have stopped working on it and doesnt respond to questions (he posted on his other creation today but hasn't answered/updated his recent update to this one).

I'm not sure if you read the messages he posted in the Traveller forum, but this is literally what he said:

"Brilliant News! I've been away from online life, alas we've had something happen that's meant I've spent a lot of time with my girls rather than in my online life!

Back to normal today, fixing up a WOIN issue then onto Traveller." "

Also, I've found that he is quite responsive. One thing to take into account is that he has been out of town for most of last week and has been dealing with some RL stuff.

GrimmStories
April 1st, 2019, 22:14
There was an update if you didn't notice, Irishrelief.

irishrelief
April 1st, 2019, 23:35
I'm not sure if you read the messages he posted in the Traveller forum, but this is literally what he said:

"Brilliant News! I've been away from online life, alas we've had something happen that's meant I've spent a lot of time with my girls rather than in my online life!

Back to normal today, fixing up a WOIN issue then onto Traveller." "

Also, I've found that he is quite responsive. One thing to take into account is that he has been out of town for most of last week and has been dealing with some RL stuff.

There was an update if you didn't notice, Irishrelief.

I more than noticed the version number change. I cannot tell you what changed. Nor has the question been answered. I'm looking at the developer response over the last year, which amount to very few and with durations far between.

When a paid for product is so poorly optimized that my play group suggests using Roll20, for better functionality with the same amount of work, there is a problem. I dont expect perfect, but tables would be nice, character creation would be helpful, drag and drops that actually drag and drop would be great. Dont get me started on not running the WOIN extension when you want to use/create a setting. Even more is gone. Best yet, there isnt a way to change it or put a time investment in making it better. Its April, I was amply vocal in March with limited or no reply. Traveller got love this last weekend, why not the open questions here? A developer of any other product would not be afforded this leeway.

esmdev
April 2nd, 2019, 00:20
The patch notes for all FG products are posted to City Hall.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?37-City-Hall

irishrelief
April 2nd, 2019, 01:13
The patch notes for all FG products are posted to City Hall.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?37-City-Hall

And look at the date preceding Mar 19 when I first asked for a changelog which is provided in the first post. Nothing. This weekend there was finally an update to city hall "changes to battle tracker". Which doesnt even equate the the requests or promises from a year ago.

Viper007
April 17th, 2019, 01:36
It seems that interest in this section has dropped to nothing. Although it was and is meant to be an informative forum about the N.E.W. ruleset, I am wondering if anyone is still interested in this ruleset. So, in an effort to revive this thread, perhaps we could hear from those that are interested and present some topics we could discuss about the ruleset and the rpg itself. I will be glad to start with a few tidbits!

1. I would like to see a ship section that has a format like the rpg or something similar.:D

2. A sticky section that involves games from EN Publishing, with divided sub-forums of the different games they produce. While I am only concerned with N.E.W. at the moment, I am sure others would appreciate the ability to talk about the products.:confused:

3. The ability to create new exploits without creating them in a character sheet first (doesn't allow a title unless you create it first in a character sheet).:cry:

4. Interest check in a website that holds player creations or perhaps a player universe created by players using a simple set of design rules. Already have something like this that can be expanded, if interest is there!:ninja:

Anyway, hope this revives this thread and perhaps peak the interest of our local ruleset designer. Let's hear what you think!!:)

Kosh Kaltu
April 20th, 2019, 02:44
I'm greatly interested in all things WOIN that can be added to this product. The problem is that slow progress has made it tedious to check in as regularly as I used to. If we get more, I'll be here.

Nurgelrot
May 12th, 2019, 16:36
I'm very interested especially in getting and O.L.D. extension. But nothing seams to be happening. I know the O.L.D. rules are in upgrade to 1.2 but at this point the final poofs of that are in so it's pretty much set. Since this is a paid rule-set I'm hoping it continues to get attention and don't turn into another BRP-- basically abandoned rule-set that still costs money.

garrion_sw
May 13th, 2019, 17:52
I purchased the ruleset and have interest in trying the game out in a general sense. However, I've had little time to learn the rules and thus no opportunity to use the ruleset and give feedback. I know the developers here are busy and have various projects ongoing. As long as the ruleset gets worked on and updated periodically I'm content. Hopefully as people get around to testing things and giving feedback the developer can implement those changes.

Kosh Kaltu
May 14th, 2019, 01:27
It's not a lack of feedback. No work is getting done on it. :-( I've decided that I am probably going to pursue some means of getting my money back.

irishrelief
May 16th, 2019, 00:49
It's not a lack of feedback. No work is getting done on it. :-( I've decided that I am probably going to pursue some means of getting my money back.

If it's within your 30 days FG is fantastic, look on the store page or email them to get the ball rolling. It's what I did for this incomplete product. March 3 was the last post of the developer in this thread, he has since posted in his other product (Traveler) but continues to avoid this thread and its questions. Real life issues have been previously offered as an excuse (if you dig though the post history here you can see over a year ago the sporadic nature begins); however, this is a paid product that unfortunately happens to be locked "in the vault" keeping others from addressing the issues. One of the moderators here explains it as a catch-22, the developer doesn't make money so they don't want to work on the product which at the same times keeps people from purchasing a product that is incomplete. He of course says it in a much nicer way.

My playgroup almost had me run in Roll20 when I tried to show them this, I'm glad we play D&D and Savage Worlds or they would have dumped FG, and I don't blame them. They could not add attacks on their PC sheets, they could not see NPCs in the combat tracker, and they had an extremely hard time locating everything to even import their characters. I apologize if it seems I'm just complaining, but this niche of a niche of a niche costs money and I want to support good complete work. Russ Morrissey has created a fantastic system, I want to show that system off and this is not the way to do that.

ddavison
May 16th, 2019, 01:21
You can contact us at [email protected]. We offer a "no questions asked" policy for refunds within 30 days. Beyond 30 days, we still have some discretion to grant refunds. While we would love for every system to have the same level of features and automation that we have in 5E or in Savage Worlds, that isn't always going to be possible. My general belief has been that a limited system that includes the basics of the game built on top of CoreRPG and the full rules available for reference is better than simply running a CoreRPG or MoreCore ruleset.

irishrelief
May 16th, 2019, 02:11
You can contact us at [email protected]. We offer a "no questions asked" policy for refunds within 30 days. Beyond 30 days, we still have some discretion to grant refunds. While we would love for every system to have the same level of features and automation that we have in 5E or in Savage Worlds, that isn't always going to be possible. My general belief has been that a limited system that includes the basics of the game built on top of CoreRPG and the full rules available for reference is better than simply running a CoreRPG or MoreCore ruleset.

Unfortunately for this rule set the PC sheet is far from complete. It doesn't allow even the GM to add items to sections. Otherwise, the die seem to function correctly (minus a proper D66 or D666 without external mods) and the book content seems to be there. There are UI issues, namely the inability for players to get to information to build their characters (I've had to add it for them as GM). So sure if I wanted a dice roller this would be perfect.

damned
May 16th, 2019, 03:49
If anyone on this list does have programming ability and is interested in spending some time on this rulesets development I do believe that SmiteWorks and the Developer would be open to discussing transferring the product to a new Dev. You would best start with an email to support@ and start with an expression of interest. This is from bits and pieces picked up along the way so I apologies to all if Im misleading anyone here.

Kosh Kaltu
May 28th, 2019, 15:41

Unfortunately, I've opted to back out of my investment into the WOIN system on FG, but the folks here at FG settled the matter with me in a forthright and decent way. I'm forever grateful and totally support the FG system!

I intend to keep watching the WOIN situation here and if it goes forward with development into a functional product, I will be one of the first in line to reinvest in the product. I LOVE WOIN! The system is innovative and brilliant. I really hope some capable person or team of people can pick it up and run with it. If I had the skill and ability, I would do it myself. Sadly, I don't.

Russ Morrissey from WOIN is very active on Facebook and maintains constant contact, typically getting back to me with responses to my questions and concerns within minutes of posting or messaging him. I can't say I've ever seen this kind of care and concern for a product from any other game system I've ever been involved with. (Not that it doesn't happen at all, but in over forty years of gaming, this is a first for me and it's damned refreshing!)

So for anyone who is wondering whether there is a strong interest in the WOIN system and seeing it go forward - I am just one voice, but here I am. I have been spreading my enthusiasm for WOIN and Fantasy Grounds to my fellow friends and gamers here in my little corner of the Cleveland, Ohio area and will continue to do so!

I'm a FG Unity backer and look forward to seeing what exciting innovations the new system will bring.

I sincerely hope to see WOIN fully join the FG community in the future!

irishrelief
June 30th, 2019, 15:48
Another month, still wondering if there has been any work done on this project to make it worth buying again. It's on sale, but not a good enough sale for what was wrong. Still looking for character sheet improvements, etc.

irishrelief
July 22nd, 2019, 03:57
It's been since 3 March when MadBeardMan last posted anything about WOIN. There have been multiple questions asked by myself and others asking for information and updates. Even for simple replies like "the system hasn't been half finished and fully abandoned". No such replies have come, MBM has replied since 3 March in response to his other PAID system Traveller.

Once again at over 4 and a half months since last communication I'm asking the status of the ruleset. I want to know if problems that previously existed have been fixed. I would like an update from the man who has this system (one that has a fully open gaming license given by the creator) under lock and key. Is there anyone qualified to take up the banner and fix the problems? How could we as a community make it so? This is a fantastic system that is plagued by a Fantasy Grounds interface that has pushed my playgroup back to a competitor because it is unusable. I am not the first, nor will I probably be the last to ask for a refund from this system. Which is a shame.

MadBeardMan
August 8th, 2019, 22:01
So then what's happening with WOiN?

First apologies, in the last 6 months I've been in hospital for kidney stone removal (any man will wince at what they did), my mother has been in/out of hospital due to the big 'C' trying to kill her, my eldest daughter has had to move schools and then back again because her autism is causing grief and my day jon for one of our government organisations has taken over my life. This isn't an excuse, it's a reason.

WOiN took approx 1,000 hours to write the ruleset, convert the rulebook, create the data and then re-write parts of the ruleset when 1.2 changed the way the criticals all worked. It was a work of love and then hatred to be honest. Since then I've created the Traveller ruleset, the Traveller 2E ruleset (which is going to go to beta soon) and I've been working on the Vampire the Masquerade for another FG developer to help get that across the line. My skills have come on in a big way, as there's no real manual for FG, and anyone who's written any extension will know it takes time.

I've said to FG that another developer can take WOIN over if they wish, I've said this a few times over the last 6 months knowing I've not got time for it.

However now that Traveller (which is my true love) is almost over the hill, I shall return to WOiN to give it a decent update, address all the known issues (it's hard to know what they are in a single thread) and then convert the NOW ruleset as that's finally been sent through the Smiteworks. Still no sign of OLD which was meant to drop last summer. Oh and Judge Dredd will probably never be released as Rebellion have given the Digital License to others. Though if people can point out the specific rules I can add them.

My plan is to dedicate next week to WOiN and whatever time is required after that (within reason). I'm self employed so cannot work on it 24/7. I did push urgent fixes some months ago, but I didn't see that anyone tested it in TEST channel, so I'll double check it's not made it to live.

** Please do not PM me, my Inbox is full **

Thanks,
MBM

Vackipleur
August 8th, 2019, 22:44
So then what's happening with WOiN?
Thanks,
MBM

Thank you MadBeardMan.
You have my trust :)