PDA

View Full Version : program crashes when import new chars [New 5E Campaing/5E modules only/no extensions]

Waldbaer
October 5th, 2017, 20:09
Hi,

I have installed the complete program new again. I created a new campaing 5E rulset and just opened all 5E rules modules per setup. Then I wanted to import four pregen chars. I used the blue arrow in the PC screen.

Every time when I do this it work for one or two chars, then the whole program shuts down. I only get a windows screen with: "the exe is no longer working" error....

Any ideas? Please help me soon - I would like to run a game tomorrow...

Thanks,
Waldbaer

Waldbaer
October 5th, 2017, 20:13
...fourth try with full new install and now it worked when I closed the upload screen in the program after each upload and the saved the campaign. Then upload the next...strange...

so no longer that urgent...but please look into it :)

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2017, 20:15
I haven’t seen that before.

* What OS are you running, and what version?
* What version of Fantasy Grounds is reported in the launcher?
* Are you using any extensions in your campaigns?

Regards,
JPG

Waldbaer
October 5th, 2017, 20:50
Hi Moon Wizard,

Win 10 pro, newest updates installed
FG version is 3.3.3
Regular I use extension (5e reference font 11, 5e theme wizards, Tomb of Annihilation Decal, Formation Graphics and MOTD + tool skill proficiencies which is no extension to be exact)

But here I did a FULL new and clean install of the complete program twice and I run a campaign with above extensions activated and also tried the same with a complete new campaign where I never loaded any extension. Only original 5e rule things were loaded every time...

Had this never before also...could be a system thing instead of FG? The fantasyygrounds.exe crashed when the folder (after clickling the blue upload error) opened and not earlier.

Thanks for your help and fast reply.

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2017, 21:31
Given that I haven't seen any other reports of an issue like this, I have two guesses.

1. It could be linked to a hardware/driver issue. If it happens again, try running a memory test on your machine and/or checking to make sure you have the latest graphics driver for your card.

2. It could be that FG is running out of memory. Start up Windows Task Manager and see how much memory that FG is using after you load your campaign. Depending on whether you are using 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, the maximum amount of memory that FG can use is capped by Windows to 1.7G or 3.3G, respectively. If you are using more memory than that, then it is most likely caused by too many token files in the tokens/host/ and tokens/shared/ folders under the FG data directory. Also, you can try closing some modules to save memory as well.

Regards,
JPG

Waldbaer
October 5th, 2017, 22:09
OK - thank you - I check this out right now and report back. I use a 64bit machine...
You are right, I use the max amount...but I wonder why? I really have not much open and almost no extensions loaded... (s. picture) only the extension mentioned above are loaded.

Waldbaer
October 5th, 2017, 22:10
sorry - here is the attachment

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2017, 22:12
Yes, that's the issue then.

Try going to the FG data folder, renaming your "tokens" subfolder to "tokens_backup", and running that campaign in FG again. What does the Task Manager report?

Regards,
JPG

Waldbaer
October 5th, 2017, 22:18
Hey, c'mon - tell me the truth: you are a Moon God not only a Wizard... :) That made it. I now have 550 MB...strange, I bought all the Devin Night Tokens which exist and had it in the token host folder. Around 500 MB. But it gave me more than 3 GB on RAM? Even the campaign difficulties I had loading pictures are gone now.

And the whole program starts fast as hell again. I was already used to a long start...

Thank YOU VERY MUCH... :)

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2017, 23:40
The current architecture for Fantasy Grounds loads every token into memory on load, and they are much larger in memory than they are on disk, especially if they are high-resolution tokens. It's something we are looking to address eventually in a re-architected version, but no concrete timeline yet.

You can group the modules into token modules, so that you can choose which tokens to load. That's how we sell the Devin Night token packs on our store. There's a thread on the forums about making token modules out of your tokens, so you can only load the ones you need for your campaign.

Regards,
JPG

Waldbaer
October 5th, 2017, 23:51
Hi Moon,

thank you for the advice. Actually I know how to build things like token modules etc. - but it never came to me that I would need one. Because I just made all available :) Now I know that I have to be a bit more careful with resources...

Thanks again!

Waldbaer
October 7th, 2017, 18:00
The current architecture for Fantasy Grounds loads every token into memory on load, and they are much larger in memory than they are on disk, especially if they are high-resolution tokens. It's something we are looking to address eventually in a re-architected version, but no concrete timeline yet.

You can group the modules into token modules, so that you can choose which tokens to load. That's how we sell the Devin Night token packs on our store. There's a thread on the forums about making token modules out of your tokens, so you can only load the ones you need for your campaign.

Regards,
JPG

Hi Moon Wizard,

I have onre more question where I hope you know the best way to go: I assume it would be the best way to create smaller modules instead of larger ones as those would occupy more FG resource then also, right? E. g. I should not put all character tokens into one module as this would make the module too large for easy using it within a campaign.

Is there a useful restriction on module size or would you recommend a different way? Maybe I am wrong and it would be no problem to build a large module? But after tokens have been used in the campaign and players have made a decision which they want to use, I cannot close the module because then they would loose those tokens...true, or?

Moon Wizard
October 7th, 2017, 19:56
There’s no specific formula, since memory requirents vary by token. Just try creating modules with subsets of the tokens you need, and see how much memory they each add and adjust.

Regards,
JPG

Waldbaer
October 7th, 2017, 20:27
OK will do. Thank you again for your help.

Waldbaer
October 8th, 2017, 14:47
I have build a monster of a char module and loaded it which gave me +500 MB or so. Then I put some char tokens on the sheet and closed the module after that. This works well for me as only the chosen tokens out of the module are shared with the players and enter the campaign. They stay with the campaign even then when I close the module...

I like that very much and by doing that I can manage the resources very well and still offer my players a lot of token to choose from. They can actually view the module, choose their token and then I close it up again. Very nice.

Just thought it makes sense to share the information here as maybe someone else has had similiar problems like me with resource management:)