PDA

View Full Version : Condition/effects IF/IFT query

celestian
October 5th, 2017, 19:29
So, I'm not to familiar with how IF/IFT condition/effects work but the first run in with it has been trying to figure out a way for a ranger type with a mark ability to use it.

The first thought was the standard "IFT: marked;DMG: 1d6" and then just put a "marked" string in effect on the target marked. Didn't work. So I poked around the forums and apparently the condition has to exist as one of the types listed in the ruleset (in this case I was testing 5E) so ... I tweaked the above to use "intoxicated" and put intoxicated on the target and it worked as intended.

So I thought to myself, quick extension to just adjust and add the conditions to have a "marked" and I'm done. I did that but I wanted to ask before I left it at that... is there another (better) way to do what I'm trying?

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2017, 19:38
Try adding a "Marked" condition to the target, and keeping a "IFT: CUSTOM(Marked); DMG: 1d6" effect on the ranger.

Regards,
JPG

celestian
October 5th, 2017, 19:53
Try adding a "Marked" condition to the target, and keeping a "IFT: CUSTOM(Marked); DMG: 1d6" effect on the ranger.

Regards,
JPG

That is what I was looking for. I suspected there had to be a better way to do this ;) Thanks once again!

Gwydion
October 5th, 2017, 19:57

Regards,
JPG

Wait, what? You can do that! Holy $%*&^! I had no idea you could do this..... So many implications. Thanks for teaching me something else about FG, Moon Wizard! Just tried this using a different effect and works great.

ArcebU
October 5th, 2017, 20:33
You can also stack effects so, "IFT: CUSTOM(Marked); DMG: 1d6; GRANTADVATK" is possible as well.

So in the case of Hunters Mark you do something like this:

Create an effect and set it to target name it Hunters Mark and put in the Effects Section, "Hunter's Mark"

Then create a passive effect with an endless duration and set it to targeting self. Then put the "Hunter's Mark Checker; IFT: CUSTOM(Hunter's Mark); DMG: 1d6".

DM can set the effects on a player to invisible from the combat tracker so it doesn't clutter the screen if stuff gets too long.

Zacchaeus
October 5th, 2017, 23:36
Hunter's mark is a targeted effect. Create an effect DMG: 1d6, set the target to self. To apply it hold shift and click the effect while you have an enemy targeted or hold shift while dragging the effect onto it.

More information here.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Effect_Targeting

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2017, 23:43
Zacchaeus's solution is another way to do it.

I prefer the way above with the conditional personally, but it can be done either way.

Cheers,
JPG

celestian
October 6th, 2017, 02:44
Zacchaeus's solution is another way to do it.

I prefer the way above with the conditional personally, but it can be done either way.

Cheers,
JPG

This is how I implemented your method. The IFT goes on the Player's ranger, the mark effect goes on the enemy.

https://i.imgur.com/YYOdzVR.png

I dunno if the (C) works but I put it there.

Moon Wizard
October 6th, 2017, 03:24
That should work. The pattern match for whether an effect is a concentration effect is "%([cC]%)".

Cheers,
JPG

darrenan
October 6th, 2017, 03:48
What rulesets does CUSTOM() work with?

Moon Wizard
October 6th, 2017, 04:28
It looks like it’s implemented in 3.5E, 4E, 5E and PFRPG.

Cheers,
JPG

darrenan
October 6th, 2017, 04:49
nice