PDA

View Full Version : Hex Grid and Token Facing

TheMookNet
October 4th, 2017, 19:38
Howdy, Folks!

I can't believe I've not noticed this before, but today I realized that if I import a gridless battlemap, use the FG tool to add a hex grid, then drag a token onto the map... the token faces the six hex "points" when rotated, it doesn't face the hex "sides." Is there any way to change that behavior? As-is, two tokens in adjacent hexes are never actually facing one another, and quite a few (optional) GURPS rules rely on proper facing.

Thanks,

(I'm hoping to actually run my first game in the next few weeks, so I may be popping by to pick the hivemind more. I'm looking forward to it!)

Andraax
October 4th, 2017, 22:16
Points at the hex sides for me. Hex grids act weird if you have an odd pixel size for the hex grid (don't use 49, use 50 for example).

Moon Wizard
October 4th, 2017, 22:24
There are actually 2 versions of the hex grid, which we refer to internally as hexrow and hexcolumn. The hexrow version has the points up/down/diagonal, and all the cells in each row are a straight horizontal line. The hexcolumn version has the points left/right/diagonal, and all the cells in each column are a straight vertical line. You can move the mouse around while you are setting the grid to adjust which one gets used.

There's a known limitation that the facing for hex grids only works for the hexcolumn version currently.

Regards,
JPG

Andraax
October 4th, 2017, 22:38
There's a known limitation that the facing for hex grids only works for the hexcolumn version currently.

Doesn't my image show a hexrow? The facing for that seems to work correctly...

Andraax
October 4th, 2017, 22:42
And here is hexcolumn, also showing the facing working correctly...

ronnke
October 5th, 2017, 05:16

Any plans to fix the limitation? A possible alternative fix could be to have 30deg facing changes instead of the current 60deg change. Is it possible to programatically set the facing angle with the ruleset?

TheMookNet
October 5th, 2017, 05:39
Ah, got it. Not sure why yours works correctly, Andraax, but as noted when my hex grid is row, tokens face the vertices, when I manage to get it to come up column they face the sides. At least I feel better about not noticing before, it's because I hadn't encountered a hex row grid.

Andraax
October 5th, 2017, 05:54
I'm using the current GURPS ruleset. Even when I use an odd pixel size for the grid, the token placement is screwed up, but the facing still points at the side.

TheMookNet
October 5th, 2017, 20:57
I see what the difference is now... I was dragging the token directly from the Token window into the map -- in that case, hex rows or columns makes a difference where the actual token rotates to, sides or angles.

If I drag the token from the Combat Tracker to get the yellow facing arrow (i.e., the token itself doesn't rotate), then the arrow always faces the hex side, whether the grid is hex rows or columns.

Gigermann
October 6th, 2017, 00:05
The facing arrow isn't always present; that's in the preferences. When it's there, the arrow rotates, and is correctly oriented; when it's turned off, the token rotates—but it still doesn't orient correctly on the points-up grid.