PDA

View Full Version : hosting games at school

pappinr
October 3rd, 2017, 19:04
I have set a dungeons and dragons club at my school (I am a staff member) and have the ultimate license and so will be hosting games at lunch with kids. I am working through all the connection/firewall issues with our school board IMS department which I hope to have worked out soon. However, when I am downloading and installing the demo version on student laptops (available in our library) I am getting an error message to the effect "missing xml 5e ruleset data"...I can get the exact message and post it. But off the top of you fine people's heads, does this sound like a message others have seen before or have I installed the demo incorrectly? Any help you can offer would be most appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2017, 19:11
1) If the GM and the players are all going to be on the same network then the GM shouldn't need port forwarding - give the players your internal IP address to connect.

2) When do you get the error message? When running an update? When connecting to the GM? When starting FG? And yes, please supply the exact error message.

pappinr
October 3rd, 2017, 19:22
1) If the GM and the players are all going to be on the same network then the GM shouldn't need port forwarding - give the players your internal IP address to connect.

2) When do you get the error message? When running an update? When connecting to the GM? When starting FG? And yes, please supply the exact error message.

Thanks Trenloe
1. I have given another staff member the internal ip address and she was unable to connect. I am sure there are some network rules about connecting to other machines across our network. Our IT people are working at fixing this.
2. Here is the exact message: "Ruleset: launcher
Error: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)
Do you want to try reloading the data?"

Yes No

So it is giving me that error message with the option to load. If I select Yes, I get the same error message again. If I select No, it quits the launcher.

Thanks for the help

Rob

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2017, 19:30
2. Here is the exact message: "Ruleset: launcher
Error: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)
Do you want to try reloading the data?"

Yes No

So it is giving me that error message with the option to load. If I select Yes, I get the same error message again. If I select No, it quits the launcher.
Try this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40353-New-install-3-3-2-Unable-to-load-ruleset-file-(base-xml)&p=356612&viewfull=1#post356612

pappinr
October 3rd, 2017, 20:29
Try this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40353-New-install-3-3-2-Unable-to-load-ruleset-file-(base-xml)&p=356612&viewfull=1#post356612

Trenloe...I will give that a try when I get back to school tomorrow. Thanks for the link and I will keep you posted.

damned
October 4th, 2017, 03:58
IT will need to update the windows firewall to allow inbound TCP 1802 connections on all networks (private/public/domain).

pappinr
October 4th, 2017, 15:15
Hi Trenloe...so the files for Fantasy Grounds are buried deep in a Network Drive. I will contact our IT people to dig down and delete the .pak file and run an update UNLESS they grant me permission to do so. On another note, I installed FG Demo on an older laptop at home for my kids to use. I ran into the exact same problem. Thankfully, I had your work around and I deleted the .pak file in FG and ran the update engine. It worked perfectly! So thank you. I know it works, now the task is just to get access to the file structure so I can apply that fix.
Cheers...Rob

damned
October 4th, 2017, 15:25
hi pappinr you will need read/write/modify access to the file location to really use the software successfully...

pappinr
October 4th, 2017, 15:44
IT will need to update the windows firewall to allow inbound TCP 1802 connections on all networks (private/public/domain).

Hi damned...I would like to think or hope we have the finest IT minds working on this barrier. I will keep you posted.
Rob

pappinr
October 4th, 2017, 15:57
Hi damned...sadly I am becoming painfully aware of trying to run fantasy grounds over an employers network. I am convinced of the great educational value of rpgs and so I am trying not to be discouraged with the many hurdles I am encountering. I am meeting with our club members at lunch today and I can show them some the amazing functionality of FG. Onward and upward! Thanks.

pappinr
October 9th, 2017, 16:09
@Trenloe and @damned...I should have updated this earlier but I got busy with other things. Thanks to your fantastic suggestions everything is working just fine now! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. And on behalf of our students in the club, Thank you! Did I remember to say Thank you? LOL. I am looking forward to hosting our very first game on Wednesday at lunch. I will make sure to tell the kids that if they ever run into any troubles with their game they can post here on the forum, confident that their issues will be resolved professionally and quickly. Cheers to you both!

pappinr
October 9th, 2017, 16:10

They have got everything working just fine now. Thanks for all your help!
Rob

LordEntrails
October 9th, 2017, 17:27
Exciting to hear :) We're all glad whenever more people are introduced positively to RPGs and FG!

Bonkon
October 9th, 2017, 21:49
This is awesome to hear :) Way back when I was in school they did have a D&D club that met during lunch, but I was a cafeteria volunteer so I never got to play. The lessons learned about teamwork and comraderie are priceless :)