PDA

View Full Version : the 'unique alias' server, quick question

mrannah
February 23rd, 2006, 18:41
when i start up FG using the unique alias function, there's a quick message flash that if i'm reading this right says 'connecting to address server'. am i correct in my assumption that this is a location where the alias is placed on a list with its status (connected at the time) and current ip number?

my only real concern on this is in the off chance of lack of support in the future (i'm gonna be keeping this program for a long time). so if that server goes down, then we can still use the numeric connection, right?

(not meaning anything negative, i hope FG is around and supported for years and years and years, but i'm one of those folks who picks up a fondness for some games and things and keeps them for ages.)

Ged
February 23rd, 2006, 19:29
my only real concern on this is in the off chance of lack of support in the future (i'm gonna be keeping this program for a long time). so if that server goes down, then we can still use the numeric connection, right?

Not that I see the servers going down, but you got that right - you can use the numeric connection, if you are for any reason unable to reach the address server.

Morfedel
February 26th, 2006, 03:07
Can we use our own name for this? I tried editting it and it wouldnt let me. If not, it would sure be great if we could! In other words, if I wanted to have a campaign name like: "When Darkness Falls" then I'd love to be able to choose that name too.

mrannah
February 26th, 2006, 06:07
it doesn't let you create a name, it generates a series of four words and uses them for the alias. it's just for purposes of other fg accounts looking for it and has no bearing on your campaign or its info.

However, if you have a system that allows a dedicated name for your ip address, the players trying to join your campaign can type that in. a dm that i play for has this, and i just had to type in his url to be able to log into his game.

DarkStar
February 26th, 2006, 08:57
And to think I was wondering what has our DM been smoking when he came up with the alias...

Crusader
February 27th, 2006, 08:55
Can we use our own name for this? I tried editting it and it wouldnt let me. If not, it would sure be great if we could! In other words, if I wanted to have a campaign name like: "When Darkness Falls" then I'd love to be able to choose that name too.

The solution that I'd recommend for you is a DynDNS service that allows you to register a hostname from a DynDNS-provider. This means that you download an agent from the DynDNS-provider and install it on your PC (but if you have a hardware firewall/router you could also check if it has an option for this which means you don't need the agent on your PC). The agent updates the DNS-record on the provider's DNS-server whenever your external IP changes. DynDNS-providers usually have a list of domains under which you could register a hostname. So rather than using the alias system, your players could connect to an address, which for instance could be "whendarknessfalls.gameserve.com" (gameserve.com being one of the domainnames available from the DynDNS-provider I've been using which seems to work fairly well).