PDA

View Full Version : Weird Bugs With Maelstorm Ruleset (Duplicate button, stuff not working, etc.)

Jay_NOLA
October 2nd, 2017, 20:39
I downloaded the Maelstrom ruleset and have encountered a bunch of bugs with it. The version is marked as 0.98 so I'm not sure if a more current version exists or if any of the bugs with it can be easily fixed.
1.) The buttons for characters,items,etc. all have 2 versions that show up. One gives an error of you click the other doesn't.
2.) The Background image doesn't display correctly.
3.) The rule set gives and error on start up.
4.) You can't add text or edit the characteristics box that is an item on character sheet you can add. Clicking the red box link brings up the box but no info can be entered.

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2017, 21:23
It looks like it was built using a pretty old version of CoreRPG back from around v3.0.x (3 years ago). It would need to be updated to work with the latest version of CoreRPG.

Have you tried reaching out to the author of the ruleset?

Regards,
JPG

Jay_NOLA
October 2nd, 2017, 22:22
No I haven't contacted the author of the set yet.

damned
October 3rd, 2017, 03:35
Hola Jay_NOLA I wrote the ruleset and as far as I know you might be only the third person to try and use it - me being first, the current rights owner of the game system and now you... hence I have not done any updates on it for a long time.
If you do want to use it I will update it... otherwise I may not... It was a personal goal, it served its purposes for me already and is never going to get used much...

GunnarGreybeard
October 3rd, 2017, 08:18
Wow, damned, that was done 2+ years ago, how time flies!

I played around with it some when the ruleset was first released but couldn't seem to round up any interest. Kinda like my attempts at rounding up players for HarnMaster. :cry:

damned
October 3rd, 2017, 09:42
Woohoo - 4 people!
Ive started updating it...

LordEntrails
October 3rd, 2017, 18:47
Wow, damned, that was done 2+ years ago, how time flies!

I played around with it some when the ruleset was first released but couldn't seem to round up any interest. Kinda like my attempts at rounding up players for HarnMaster. :cry:
Run one-shots and run games of it at FG Con. People are willing to try new systems as part of a one-shot, but not to commit to a rule system.

I myself would have never been willing to join a campaign of Cthulu or Savage Worlds, but I did try them during FG Con/FG Daze and now would have no problem joining a campaign of one of those systems.

Jay_NOLA
October 3rd, 2017, 18:48
Hola Jay_NOLA I wrote the ruleset and as far as I know you might be only the third person to try and use it - me being first, the current rights owner of the game system and now you... hence I have not done any updates on it for a long time.
If you do want to use it I will update it... otherwise I may not... It was a personal goal, it served its purposes for me already and is never going to get used much...

Thanks looking forward to seeing the updated version.

Were any FG modules made for it or any of the supplement/books done. I got the Bundle of Holding last week why is why I was interested in the ruleset. (Still waiting for Bundle of Holding to fix the DTrpg link bug they have so the Bundle stuff shows up in my DTrpg account.)

Since your updating it have you thought of making a theme extension for the new Gothic rules at some point?

Jay_NOLA
October 3rd, 2017, 23:00
Found the answer to my question about modules that had been done for the ruleset. The downloads in the Qickstart Rules for Maelstrom Domesday have the adventure all done for use the FG ruleset on DTRpg.

damned
October 4th, 2017, 03:52
All the content is copyright so I cant make any modules for it.
I played Maelstrom way back in 84 or 85 or whenever and was nostalgic for it and hence we did end up with the ruleset - that and a desire to learn how to do this stuff...
It is (or was, and will be) a fully functional ruleset but is still relatively basic in its automation.

Jay_NOLA
October 4th, 2017, 18:50
I suspect your going to have more people wanting the ruleset since the the Bundle of Holding that is now available for the game system.

Can't wait to see the updated version.

Jay_NOLA
October 4th, 2017, 18:56
(deleted cause my above post got duplicated)

damned
October 5th, 2017, 00:28
I suspect your going to have more people wanting the ruleset since the the Bundle of Holding that is now available for the game system.

Can't wait to see the updated version.

It will only be a bug fixed version...

damned
October 5th, 2017, 14:28
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23539-Maelstrom-RPG-Maelstrom-Domesday-available-now!

Uploaded new version.

Jay_NOLA
October 7th, 2017, 14:13
Noticed a bug with the new Maelstom version 0.99 that you just posted.

When you click on items an go to add an item it gives an error that says:

Script Error [string "campaign/script/item_main.lua":24"attempt to call field 'update' (a nil vale)

The item

Some Ruleset warning are showing up now too:

Could not load icon resouce for [diegaming_rleset_icon]
Could not load icon resouce for [digaming_logo]
Could not load icon resouce for [portait_gm_token]

damned
October 7th, 2017, 14:27
Hi Jay_NOLA I suspect that the Items error is to do with Item Identification which was introduced after this was written.
Ultimately ignore Items all together. There is no drag and drop of items in the ruleset.
Im not getting those other three warnings... Ill check if the uploaded package is missing the files...

Jay_NOLA
October 8th, 2017, 20:15
Thanks, I wonder if that Item Identification change is also why the item box to enter data is messed up with 2 notes and name sections.

Been enjoying the ruleset and started to do set up so I can run a gam at some point. Entered and made a module for the serious, critical, and fumble tables and started to enter in the sample characters from the Quickstart adventure and been working on prepping the Beast of Ledsham adventure. Was up late last night and stuck at home due to Hurricane Nate in my area so I put my time to good use. :)

damned
October 8th, 2017, 22:34
Ive run a small number of games with the ruleset in the past and it works well. Combat is not fast because each time you are successful in your attack your opponent can still defend. But then combat in these times is very dangerous... healing is slow and medical assistance is scarce! Look for another way...

Jay_NOLA
October 10th, 2017, 22:39
When you ran games did you use the Advanced Combat Options in Domesday? If so did you have to do any special prep so the game went quickly?
I got what you said about looking for another way around things other than combat. The Domesday book and Investigator's Guide make it clear to avoid combat since the game isn't a typical Fantasy RPG. I do know that when I run the Beast of Ledsham, which I want to do on FG at some point, combat is going to occur at the end.
Any other advice you may have on running Maelstrom/Maelstrom Domesday via FG would also be appreciated.

damned
October 10th, 2017, 23:35
I havent played for some time and Im pretty sure I only played the rules from the original game - it is slow - actor rolls to hit - low level actors are only 50% successful - then the defender rolls and is just as likely to defend. With high level actors the math is almost the same - better chance to hit and better chance that it is defended. And then armour reduces the impact of the blow... In systems where combat can take a while I will have all players who are in turn to act before an opponent can start rolling straight away so they are not waiting for each other to finish... small reduction in time.

Jay_NOLA
October 12th, 2017, 22:24
Thanks that is helpful. The combat Options add and subtract to AS, etc. I'm going to try out some Test Combat over the next few days with the pre-made characters I got entered in in the last few day sand do some test play. Oh one quick thing I noticed Effects doesn't work I was getting errors trying to add them and use them in the Combat tracker. Was trying to see if that could be away to do some of the combat options from Domesday since those can change skills. That isn't a big deal just won't use effects, but wanted to mention it.

damned
October 12th, 2017, 23:47
Effects are not implemented sorry.
You can use modifiers you just have to add them each time.
You also need to check if you should use + or - modifiers - eg does the modifier adjust the roll or the target in this implementation (I cant recall).