PDA

View Full Version : How do I customize weapon effects?

ElectricalChaos
October 2nd, 2017, 14:23
I've got a Shortsword of Life Stealing out of the DMG's list of magic items, and I'm trying to figure out how to add in the special damage effect for it. The item text is "When you attack a creature with this magic weapon and roll a 20 on the attack roll, that target takes an extra 3d6 necrotic damage, provided that the target isn't a construct or an undead. You gain temporary hit points equal to the extra damage dealt." Any suggestions for where I start here, because I'm a bit stumped.

Gwydion
October 2nd, 2017, 14:45
I've got a Shortsword of Life Stealing out of the DMG's list of magic items, and I'm trying to figure out how to add in the special damage effect for it. The item text is "When you attack a creature with this magic weapon and roll a 20 on the attack roll, that target takes an extra 3d6 necrotic damage, provided that the target isn't a construct or an undead. You gain temporary hit points equal to the extra damage dealt." Any suggestions for where I start here, because I'm a bit stumped.

You will need to do it as an effect. You could do something like the following: IFT: type(aberration,beast,celestial,dragon,elemental,f ey,fiend,giant,humanoid,monstrosity,ooze,plant);DM G: 3d6 necrotic, critical

I think this will work as you can do an "if" statement around type but not a "negative if" so I believe you could put in all types except construct or undead. When you add "critical", it will only apply on a critical hit. I'll try and check this later but it should work.

SirGraystone
October 2nd, 2017, 15:52
That should work except the healing you part, that you'll have to do it manually. If your Shortsword of Life Stealing is your only weapon, you can keep the effect up all the time, if you use two weapons then the effect have to be set for the next roll only and apply before you use that sword.

ElectricalChaos
October 2nd, 2017, 16:43
So how would I create that effect, or where would I create that? Just as a separate weapon attack that the player would manually activate when the conditions are met? Or is that something that I could tie to the weapon itself that would automatically proc when the system detects the crit?

Gwydion
October 2nd, 2017, 16:54
So how would I create that effect, or where would I create that? Just as a separate weapon attack that the player would manually activate when the conditions are met? Or is that something that I could tie to the weapon itself that would automatically proc when the system detects the crit?

You would code it as a power and drop on the actions tab. You can't add it directly to the weapon. As SirGraystone says, I would add it just before you swing with the sword if you are using more than that shortsword to attack.

Zacchaeus
October 2nd, 2017, 17:57
More information here about setting up a Power group (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Powers) for your effect

Caelen
October 3rd, 2017, 01:13
If you're using an effect, I'm not sure exactly how to write it, I found this little gem in the 5e Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#A_Word_on_Syntax) page.

A special tag '!' can be used as a kind of logical NOT. For example the effect "RESIST: bludgeoning, piercing, !magic" creates an effect which allows whoever has the effect to resist damage from bludgeoning or piercing weapons provided they are not magical. If they are magical then all of the damage will get through. Other useful delimiters are !silver and !adamantine.
Perhaps you could try one of these:
IFT: !TYPE (construct,undead); DMG 3d6 necrotic, critical
IFT: TYPE (!construct,!undead); DMG 3d6 necrotic, critical

Moon Wizard
October 3rd, 2017, 01:19
That special operator only works with those particular damage resistance effects. It doesn’t work with conditionals.

Regards,
JPG

Axoid
October 3rd, 2017, 11:47
You would code it as a power and drop on the actions tab. You can't add it directly to the weapon. As SirGraystone says, I would add it just before you swing with the sword if you are using more than that shortsword to attack.

Can you add it directly to the weapon using this extension?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40270-Item-Enhancement-(add-effects-to-items-and-when-they-are-equipped-apply-them)

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2017, 11:52
Yes.