PDA

View Full Version : Heroism

Blackwolf
September 29th, 2017, 06:55
How do other GM's read this spell.
A willing creature you touch is imbued with bravery. Until the spell ends, the creature is immune to being frightened and gains temporary hit points equal to your spell casting modifier at the start of each of its turns. When the spell ends, the target loses any of its remaining temporary hit points from this spell.

Should the points be added every round and should they stack? it would seem that way to me as it reads. But that seems to be a very powerful 1st level spell. When many other similar spells do not do this.

Bonkon
September 29th, 2017, 07:13
I would think since the word cumulative is not there then it is just a resets back to whatever the casting modifier is. Otherwise, as you have noted, it could be a potent first level spell. Cast it 30 seconds before combat and have your level one tank with up to an extra 25 hit points with a casting modifier of 5 at a stat of 20.

Just my thoughts
Bonk

Blackwolf
September 29th, 2017, 08:12
Yes that kind of how I was going to apply it every round it would set to the max of the spell casting Modifier with out stacking with its self or any of the other Aid type spells. But I am always open to other interpretations on the rules. The case where I can see this and other aid type spells getting to stack with Temp HPs is the FEAT Inspiring Leader.

Zacchaeus
September 29th, 2017, 11:23
Nothing stacks in 5e. If you are under the influence of an effect with the same name then you can only ever benefit from the best one. So if you have an effect which gives you 3 Temp HP and then get an effect which gives you 4 you get the 4 instead of the 3. Similarly if you have something which gives you AC 4 and then you get something which only gives you AC 2 then you ignore the second effect and continue on with the 4. So you cannot benefit from the temp hp gained from Inspiring leader as well as those gained from Heroism - you can only benefit from the best one.

So in the spell in question if you get 4 temp HP when the spell is cast and you still have them in the next round nothing happens; if you have lost them by the time the next rounds comes along you regain the 4 temp hp.

arkanis
September 29th, 2017, 11:24
I don't think inspiring leader TEMP HPs should stack as per RAW (Pag. 198 PHB). It stacks with pseudo TEMP HPs like the Abjurer's "Arcane Ward".

Blackwolf
September 29th, 2017, 12:16
That would depend on how you want to interpret that rule I see the FEAT temporary hit points as different from a spell effect more like your really pumped up you know INSPIRED, adrenalin. It really isn't that much your level plus the charisma modifier, so even for a 20th level Character with 20 charisma 25 hit points sounds like a lot but not really. But the rule does say that temp HP cant be added together, I just view the FEAT different otherwise players really don't see any use for it.

arkanis
September 29th, 2017, 12:22
That would depend on how you want to interpret that rule I see the FEAT temporary hit points as different from a spell effect more like your really pumped up you know INSPIRED, adrenalin. It really isn't that much your level plus the charisma modifier, so even for a 20th level Character with 20 charisma 25 hit points sounds like a lot but not really. But the rule does say that temp HP cant be added together, I just view the FEAT different otherwise players really don't see any use for it.

I was just pointing the rules as written. You as DM are free to make changes as you see fit ;)

Zacchaeus
September 29th, 2017, 12:37

The feat is way more useful than a spell. Every time you get a short rest you can use the effect to give every party member temporary hit points (unless your party is massive). No valuable spell slot used up - which likely would not be recovered until a long rest. One of the best feats out there.

Blackwolf
September 29th, 2017, 17:59
What about the Aid spell(Cleric or Paladin 2nd Level)at 2nd level it does 5 hit points cast at 3rd level 10 hit points for up to 3 allies for 8 hours so for Two 3rd level spells and it bumps with the level you cast it at by 5 HP per level. 8 hours is a long time in game more than most parties need to get to a short rest or a long rest, and doesn't take 10 minutes to prep before hand just one action. Healer would be a better FEAT I think 1d6+4 for a use of the Healers kit which can be used once per short or long rest. It only costs 5 gold for 10 uses not a bad buy.

Talyn
September 29th, 2017, 19:22
The way I'm reading the spell description above, combined with the PHB rules on Temp HP, it sounds to me like she initially gets rewarded temporary hp (half her casting modifier) and that is the max. Each time it's that character's turn, she gets temp hp to bump her back up to that amount, if she had lost any; if not, they do not apply. When the spell ends, those temp hp disappear.

Caelen
September 29th, 2017, 20:00
From the Sage Advice Compendium (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-answers-september-2017)

Do the temporary hit points from heroism accumulate
each round? Temporary hit points aren’t cumulative. The
spell would tell you if you were meant to add together the
temporary hit points it provides. At the start of each of your
turns, the spell, effectively, refreshes the number of temporary
hit points you have from it; if you lost some or all of the
temporary hit points, the spell gives them back to you.