PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item cost

Zeruel_Kagenie
September 28th, 2017, 19:47
A question. Is there any way that common, uncommon, rare, very rare and legendary magic items that have a price range automatically allocate a price when I open the item? or when I add it to a parcel?. Or the only way to generate a price is to use the magic item forge? Is there any extension that can do this?

I'm not sure, but I remember that a few months ago it seemed to me that prices changed on their own ... Maybe I was wrong.

Gwydion
September 28th, 2017, 20:08
A question. Is there any way that common, uncommon, rare, very rare and legendary magic items that have a price range automatically allocate a price when I open the item? or when I add it to a parcel?. Or the only way to generate a price is to use the magic item forge? Is there any extension that can do this?

I'm not sure, but I remember that a few months ago it seemed to me that prices changed on their own ... Maybe I was wrong.

Rob2e made a module on this that includes magic shop generation, rolling for pricing, etc.. Keep in mind that the DMG does not have specific prices for magic items so what fantasy grounds does is:

They are randomly generated by par5e based on the gp min/max table per level of the magic item in the DMG.

Rob's module allows you to roll for random pricing based upon rarity of the item. I like it. You can look at it here on the dmsuild:

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/197619/Magic-Shops--Random-Item-Rarity-Tables

LordEntrails
September 28th, 2017, 20:12
When you add an item to a parcel, I'm 80% sure you can then go ahead and unlock it and change the price.

rob2e
September 28th, 2017, 20:19
When you add an item to a parcel, I'm 80% sure you can then go ahead and unlock it and change the price.

You can. But FG assigned a random number cost to all magic items. So a +1 shield is always 224gp, or whatever the price is.

Zacchaeus
September 28th, 2017, 22:15
FG no longer assigns a random number. That was removed in v 3.2.2. Magic items will now have the price range shown in the DMG depending on their rarity. You'll still see magic items in adventures which have randomly generated prices since I haven't gone back to change any of those since it's not really worth it. And incidentally the prices were generated by par5e so every time the file got par5ed you'd get a different random price. So a +1 shield would have different prices depending on when the DMG was last par5ed.

rob2e
September 28th, 2017, 22:17
FG no longer assigns a random number. That was removed in v 3.2.2. Magic items will now have the price range shown in the DMG depending on their rarity. You'll still see magic items in adventures which have randomly generated prices since I haven't gone back to change any of those since it's not really worth it. And incidentally the prices were generated by par5e so every time the file got par5ed you'd get a different random price. So a +1 shield would have different prices depending on when the DMG was last par5ed.

Oh awesome! So now instead of an exact price, it will just say something like 500-5000 gp?

Zacchaeus
September 28th, 2017, 22:26
Oh awesome! So now instead of an exact price, it will just say something like 500-5000 gp?

Yes.

Zeruel_Kagenie
September 29th, 2017, 00:06

then there is no way to generate random cost for the magic items after version 3.2.2???

i tried the Rob2e module but the items still have a price range.

Zacchaeus
September 29th, 2017, 00:12
You can create dice strings to generate a result, or create a table to do so and then edit the cost of the item. But as I say FG won't di it automatically.