PDA

View Full Version : Why all the negativity???

brokenbikez
September 27th, 2017, 16:40
I have been reading through the forum's threads for a while now and I am alittle surprised by all the negative comments about FG for one reason or another. The whole thing supports what we like to do for fun right? We buy it to PLAY. Play is suppose to be a good things but it sure does bring the worse out in some people. There are alot of great people that supports this and I am not ignoring that fact. So why all the BS Why are people so whiny. it is very simple. if you don't like it, get away, don't hang around a bitch about it.

Nickademus
September 27th, 2017, 16:47
Most people come to the forums when they have a problem or complaint. Few people take the time to come to the forums when they are happy and everything is working. It's simply the perspective of the forums that makes it seem negative. There are many, many people happy with FG (even some like myself that complain about little things).

Black Hammer
September 27th, 2017, 16:56
I can think of three big reasons.

1. People using FG, and they got A, B, and C to work, but now they want D. Saying they love ABC won't get them D, so they come here and talk about how they haven't got D and ask how to get it. It appears negative, but it really isn't.

2. People complaining about the cost. Roleplaying can be a fairly pricey hobby, depending on the mixture of your tastes and how much money you have. If you play book-heavy systems on a shoestring budget, it can be rough coughing up more cash for VTT software or modules for it.

3. People who bought it to play, but can't. I have books, rulesets, and campaigns set up and ready to go that I can't run due to lack of interested players available. Also more campaigns I'd like to write but won't bother to because I know I won't run them because they are even less popular. Is that FG's fault, strictly speaking? No. But it is a reality that has to be addressed when the subject comes up. When a friend working up a PbtA hack asks me if FG is a good platform, I have to tell him he'd better bring his own players from elsewhere. When someone asks me to playtest the Gumshoe module they wrote, I warn him it could be a few weeks minimum before I can gather a group to play it.

brokenbikez
September 27th, 2017, 17:04
Thanks for commenting guys. I can understand people coming to post there technical issues with the game that is normal but to "troll" the game and those that play is f-ing stupid. I know it will never end but geez why are people so hateful. Ok enough of this

Thank you for having FG so we all can play and have fun

Trenloe
September 27th, 2017, 17:43
...but to "troll" the game and those that play is f-ing stupid. I know it will never end but geez why are people so hateful.
It's the Internet. Some people enjoy trolling, some people say things sat at home in their anonymity that they would never say face-to-face, some think if you don't complain/whinge/demand everything now-now-now (and keep demanding it) that they'll never get it.

Also, SmiteWorks allow discussions of wanted functionality, competition, etc.. Other forums might not allow this, or even remove posts that present their product in a negative light.

These forums are much better than a lot of other RPG forums - try having a reasoned discussion on the Paizo forums, for example.

In the end, constructive criticism is always welcomed. Unfortunately, it isn't always constructive, or valid... Filter it out - not *everything* on the Internet it true! ;)

Intruder
September 27th, 2017, 18:42
Fantasy Grounds is the best product I have seen! It allows me to play a game I have loved for 30+ years.
There are no players locally, and with FG, I have been able to play with a bunch of great people.
Mind you, all have not warmed to my 'Classic' style, but enough have!
Our campaign has 9 persistent, participating players and I am happy to be able to give them adventures to enjoy!

Thanks to Smiteworks for this project! It has been worth the 600+ $$$ I have invested.

brokenbikez
September 27th, 2017, 19:07
Fantasy Grounds is the best product I have seen! It allows me to play a game I have loved for 30+ years.
There are no players locally, and with FG, I have been able to play with a bunch of great people.
Mind you, all have not warmed to my 'Classic' style, but enough have!
Our campaign has 9 persistent, participating players and I am happy to be able to give them adventures to enjoy!

Thanks to Smiteworks for this project! It has been worth the 600+ $$$ I have invested.

Thank you for sharing!!!

Honken
September 27th, 2017, 19:21
I think that some seem to think that they need the trappings of cool 3D graphics to get immersed, while all they need is imagination. I will beat the 3D graphics EVERY time...

/H

MarianDz
September 27th, 2017, 19:50
If you will be here longer, than you can easier identify who's opinion is constructive and who is "agent provocateur" only :p
Good and well aimed criticism could be sometimes better than sitting and waiting in silence :). Especially new members which join us want to have everything and NOW!!!
Because they sees it somewhere on Internet. After months of reading day by day on this FG Forum I can say that "they want mostly same things as we wants (maybe not all of them).
They want helps and make this great VTT project be better and nicer. (I'm not counting trolls of course ;)) and the way they choosed is aim developers eyes on things which another products has irrespective of developers team size, pricing or time costingness. Yes, they can't help in coding this project but what they has are experiences and want share them with us.

Now dear reader hope you understands
that not everyone from us "members" can be master in diplomacy, and lay words one after another so that they are able offering new ways, ideas without raise attack of negativity.
It is so easy be rude and offensive, but it never push things forward. Is always good if reader thinks if writer mean it this way.

Full Bleed
September 28th, 2017, 05:36
Also, SmiteWorks allow discussions of wanted functionality, competition, etc.. Other forums might not allow this, or even remove posts that present their product in a negative light.
I think this is an important point. I can't imagine participating on a forum that wasn't as open as they are here. When you have a strong, competitive product with a strong, competitive road-map you don't have to be afraid of a little competition or criticism. You don't sharpen your sword with a cotton ball.

darrenan
September 28th, 2017, 06:11
I am absolutely, positively NOT negative. NOT! (see what I did there?)