PDA

View Full Version : Selecting the right rules

Alucair
September 27th, 2017, 13:30
Hello everyone! Hope your days are going well.

I have spent several months learning to Dm using fifth edition dnd rules. I feel like I'm becoming atleast somewhat learned and find that I have a genuine love of tabletop and of the worlds we build or add to, I know it's something that going forward is going to be a big part of my life. To this end I want to lay good ground work and make Good choices regarding rule sets Nd worlds.

I enjoy the rules and details, options and creating in depth situations and pcs. To that end I have hit a cross roads.

What rules do I go forward with. I have no bias against science fiction or fantasy. I just want detailed, realistic rules. I want damage to hurt, combat to be significant, and long lasting effects to be felt.

Can you guys help me move forward?

Thank you.

JohnD
September 27th, 2017, 14:45
Rolemaster

Andraax
September 27th, 2017, 14:56
Gurps

Alucair
September 27th, 2017, 14:59
Gurps

Is that an abrieviation? I'm not up on all rules.

SirGraystone
September 27th, 2017, 15:24
GURPS is Generic Universal RolePlaying System

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GURPS

Andraax
September 27th, 2017, 15:27
Is that an abrieviation? I'm not up on all rules.

Yeah, it's a fairly new set of rules. Only been around since 1986. :-)

LordEntrails
September 27th, 2017, 16:00
So I'm guessing you don't find DnD 5E adequate set of rules for what you want right? I ask because I think most any system can give you options and in-depth situations, and I don't find problems doing what you describe with 5E.

If you are looking for a different ruleset and want to keep with a level of automation and support in FG that you have seen with 5E, then I suggest Pathfinder. Not that Gurps and Rolemaster are not good systems, you just need to be aware that they don't have the same level of support and automation in FG as 5E or PF do.

Trenloe
September 27th, 2017, 16:13
I just want detailed, realistic rules. I want damage to hurt, combat to be significant, and long lasting effects to be felt.
This was what I was looking for when I first started out in role-playing. I played RoleMaster, RuneQuest, DragonQuest, SpaceMaster and many others trying to find a system that give me realism in my "fantasy" (and SciFi) role-playing. There are some systems that will help with this, but be warned - with realism usually comes complexity and with some systems fights can take a long time to complete, especially when the combatants on both sides are skilled. I settled on RuneQuest for my Fantasy games, but the combats can take a long time as there are active defence rolls (parry and dodge) that mean that a good hit can be avoided - so skilled defenders can make the combat last a long time: Hit, dodge. Hit, parry. Miss. Hit, parry. Hit, dodge... This is realistic - a combat between skilled individuals would last a long time - but do you really want you role-playing games to do the same?

The danger is that you strive for realism and the fun of the game suffers. I've moved on from my realism phase and play games that can move quickly, that aren't held up with "that's just not realistic" discussions (learn to suspend belief for a short time) and we enjoy what we come for: playing role-playing games with our friends, and engaging in challenging and fun stories that move along at an enjoyable pace.

But, it's your game - play it how you want! If you and your players (important - your players need to buy into this as well) all want realism then great! Go for it!

Nylanfs
September 27th, 2017, 16:52
I'm partial to Shadowrun :)

Zacchaeus
September 27th, 2017, 17:57
I'd echo Trenloe here. Realism can bog down a game to the point where it just isn't worth playing. 95% of any RPG is 'Theatre of the Mind' you have to move away from real world physics and mundane things like eating and going to the toilet. But having said that if you want more realism then I'd agree with Trenloe too in that RuneQuest will more than satisfy your needs on that front. Also of course you can take any game system and adapt it for your own needs. You want realism if 5e? Strictly enforce encumbrance and sight rules, invent different bits of armour for different body locations, give each one a different AC and be targettable, use critical fumbles and hit tables and rules, dispense with magic altogether etc etc.

Bidmaron
September 27th, 2017, 20:45
Runequest also suffers from an antiquated ruleset does it not?

Honken
September 28th, 2017, 16:32
If we are all in here to pitch games, i will pitch you... erm... Dang, the ones i was gonna pitch has allready been pitched!

Oh, right. Basic Roleplaying!

/H

lordjeb
September 28th, 2017, 16:35
Cypher System (Numenara, Predation, The Strange) from Monte Cook Games might work for you.

dulux-oz
September 28th, 2017, 16:52
Well, since we're throwing out ideas - how about the new Übergame RPG - check out UGE-RPG on Github :)