PDA

View Full Version : Why can't i just find a standard D&D game? Too much to ask?

ShawnNoffy
September 27th, 2017, 04:11
Hello,

I am not a new player, but I've noticed that it's VERY hard to find a regular game on here.

Are there any DM's out there starting a new game or running a current game in the evenings? Eastern Standard time. I am willing to do a Skype interview so you feel comfortable with me before just throwing me in with your group.

I am very tactful and smart when it comes to playing the game and creating a story. I get along with everyone and have a great sense of humor. Ok, this is starting to sound like my Plenty of Fish profile. Anyways...

I would love to find a good game who would have me. Please get back to me and I look forward to it.

Shawn

JohnD
September 27th, 2017, 04:22
Hey there.

Quite often DMs just have to post that they have an open spot (or spots) and then sit back and watch things fill up, especially if it's one of the big rulesets (Pathfinder, 5e, SW). With some of the others, a GM would perhaps have to take a more active approach to recruiting. I know when I post for an opening in my C&C game, I have to be a little more proactive because it isn't one of the more well known rulesets, which frankly is a big shame because it is awesome IMO.

My advice is don't wait for a GM to contact you and invite you to his/her game. Find something in the LFG forum that meets your day/time/frequency availability and approach that GM directly. It's said a lot, that this will get you better results than hoping someone will approach you.

Aside from that, finding an online group isn't much different from finding a face to face group. You might go through a few groups/games before you find one where your personality meshes well with the other players, and the GM's style and approach to the game are what you're looking for.

On the off chance that someone who is looking for another player, what rulesets are you interested in or willing to try? You've mentioned you are Eastern time; which days of the week and what is your earliest and latest availability on those nights?

ShawnNoffy
September 27th, 2017, 04:28
Thank you for the reply. I am free every night except Friday. 5PM - 12AM D&D 5e is the game of choice.

Again, thank you
Shawn

Andraax
September 27th, 2017, 04:40
Hit the "Site Search" button up above, put in "lfp D&D 5E" to the search box and click the button. There are a bunch of threads for games looking for players. Might want to take a peek at the game calendar as well.

Suhayl
September 27th, 2017, 12:50
What do you mean by "standard" though? Standard for me is AD&D 2e, but that is not everyone's standard...

yeknom
September 27th, 2017, 12:57
Suhayl, what is the timezone you are looking for? I am almost always looking for another player for my regular games and for pick up games. I am based in GMT +8 (Hong Kong) so it is not easy to find players. Combine that with that fact that I want a lot of players and you get the picture.

Cabales
September 27th, 2017, 14:00
Shawn, I think this may be a case of getting frustrated before you've really exhausted all your avenues. JohnD is right that I don't think you can expect DMs to come to you. They'll post about openings in their games and you should reply to those. I did see you reply to one of them, but that may not be enough. I'm just beginning with FG myself, but I got into the first group I approached with a compatible timezone and campaign that looked interesting to me. I think it may be important to take the measure of the group you're approaching as well. I noticed that in the game that you did apply to, your character concept was very satirical in nature. There's nothing wrong with that, but people who are looking for a more serious tone in their game, may not be attracted to characters with immersion breaking names no matter how humorous they are. This could probably be determined with a private message to the DM before applying to see if your idea would fit the tone of the group (I actually did this myself with the DM of the group I joined to make sure that my character concept fit in his campaign).

Also, have you tried other avenues for getting into games? Have you joined the FG Discord channel? There's a LFG channel there that sees some activity. Have you check the Adventurer's League forum? There seems to be a fair amount of activity there. There's also activity on Reddit and a few other Discord channels that I've stumbled onto while looking around these forums and Reddit. Finally there's an Adventurer's League site that has scheduled games on FG (as well as other tools) that you can check. A lot of these suggestions are for one shots rather than a campaign, but it would allow you to meet gamers and DMs and begin establishing relationships for longer term campaigns. At least that's my theory.

Finding a game can be a little overwhelming, especially when compared to what I've become accustomed to in a lot of multiplayer video games in recent years. I think ultimately it's just going to take a little work and persistence to find other like minded individuals with compatible schedules. I don't think it's compatible with a drop in and play mentality though which, while unfortunate, is just the way life works sometimes. And hey, if there's not a group currently doing what you want to do you could always decide to DM and start one up yourself!

Suhayl
September 27th, 2017, 14:10
Suhayl, what is the timezone you are looking for? I am almost always looking for another player for my regular games and for pick up games. I am based in GMT +8 (Hong Kong) so it is not easy to find players. Combine that with that fact that I want a lot of players and you get the picture.

EST (GMT-5), I'm afraid!

Foamhead
September 27th, 2017, 14:24
I run Pathfinder and I have a hard time finding interested players, even when I go out of my way to track down and PM people who say they are looking. I think a lot of people are more enamored with the idea of playing online than they are actually doing it.

SirGraystone
September 27th, 2017, 14:48
Looking for a group can be frustrating at time, but read the sticky "Template for Player(s) Looking for Group Listings" for what information to post. Check the LFG forum every days for opening, check also the calendar. Send a polite message to the DM, with the kind of game and you would like to play, if I have to choose between someone who just said "I want to play" in the forum and another who take time to write me a nice message, I know who I'll pick.

Cabales
September 27th, 2017, 15:02
I run Pathfinder and I have a hard time finding interested players, even when I go out of my way to track down and PM people who say they are looking. I think a lot of people are more enamored with the idea of playing online than they are actually doing it.

That kind of makes sense based on what I hear about people signing up for games and then not showing up. I know I'd be interested in PathFinder at some point, but I decided 5E would be the easiest place to start in the beginning just because my understanding is that FG has automated more of the functions for 5E than they have for PF. Once I get comfortable I do plan to start reading the PF rules sets and trying to get into a game.

brokenbikez
September 27th, 2017, 15:45
I feel the exact same way. I bought FG over a year ago and found it almost impossible to find a campaign to join when you are new, so I basically took a break but back again determined to play. If i can help by pointing you in the right direction please let me know-

I will add this please don't be discouraged but other people's crappy commits and dumb replies.

computertrucker
September 27th, 2017, 15:48
If you can't find one, create one.

I'm also confused? Standard D&D??? What is that?

I run 4e D&D dark sun. For me that's standard.

Daemini
September 27th, 2017, 21:54
You also need to look outside of Fantasy Grounds for groups. There are tons of discord channels devoted to LFG/LFM, Steam forums, ect.