PDA

View Full Version : 5e Auto-lookup of spells not working

Axoid
September 26th, 2017, 19:50
So a feature that was added (according to this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uOdhB2GDoU) is the ability to list out spells in a certain context under Traits-Spellcasting, and have FG automatically add those spells to the NPC sheet, including the correct DC Save and to-hit number for that specific NPC.

I can't get this to work. It brings in the spell but does not add in the DC or to-hit, instead just keeping the generic text for each from the spell listing.

At first I tried to use an existing NPC (druid template which had the DC and to-hits already there for each spell) but wanting to update the DC save for the NPC. I changed it under traits (from DC 12 to DC 15), deleted all the spells, closed the character and reopened it. All the spells reappeared but did not add in the DC or to-hit.

Then I tried to create a NPC from scratch, typing the text in by hand, and still it did not add in the DC or to-hit. Here is the text I used. Again it recognized it and added the spells in, but did not update to the specific DC or to-hit numbers.

Spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 15, +4 to hit with spell attacks).
Cantrips (at will): produce flame
1st level: entangle

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or why this is not working. I'm running the latest revision of FG and using the 5e ruleset. I have the PHB and DMG as well, and both are loaded in my library.

Thanks,
Don

LordEntrails
September 26th, 2017, 20:07
There is specific language that must be used exactly as is (except changing the DC value etc). There are two variants of it that I know of. Note that Innate Spellcasting is not working, but it is being fixed soon.

For the specific working you can find it in the wiki or you can go to the Adventure Module Creation Guide. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices) You can also find the info on various forum posts, but I'm not sure of any of those links.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Trenloe
September 26th, 2017, 20:15
And further info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35937-How-to-Automate-effects-on-NPCs

Axoid
September 26th, 2017, 20:17
Thanks. I used the wording exactly as shown in the video I linked. It brings in the spells, but does not add the DC# or to hit # as listed under the trait. I'm just trying the regular spellcasting for now, not innate.

Axoid
September 26th, 2017, 20:23
I copied this over from the link above, and then below it is what i used in the NPC (replaced all the [] and <>)

The [NPC] is a nth-level spellcaster. Its spell casting ability is [ability] (spell save DC x, +x to hit with spell attacks). The [NPC] has the following spells prepared.
Cantrips (at will): <spell name>,<spell name>
1st level (4 slots): <spell name>, <spell name>
2nd level (2 slots): <spell name>, <spell name>

The druid is a 4th-level spellcaster. Its spell casting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 15, +5 to hit with spell attacks). The druid has the following spells prepared.
1st level (4 slots): entangle

Trenloe
September 26th, 2017, 20:25
Spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 15, +4 to hit with spell attacks).
I think the stat lookup is case sensitive - try lower case wisdom

EDIT: yeah, that wasn't it. Sorry...

Axoid
September 26th, 2017, 20:29
Thanks. I tried that, still didn't work. Here's a screenshot.

Trenloe
September 26th, 2017, 20:36
spell casting should be all one word spellcasting

That fixes the attack modifier, but not the saving DC...

I've updated the page referenced above.

Axoid
September 26th, 2017, 20:44
spell casting should be all one word spellcasting

That fixes the attack modifier, but not the saving DC...

I've updated the page referenced above.

I changed it, and tried it with both Wisdom and wisdom. I also deleted that character and created a new one and tried it with both Wisdom and wisdom. I delete the spells each time as well. Still nothing. I'm at a loss here, it should be working. Maybe I'll try exiting out and coming back in.

That didn't do anything. I'm going to try turning off all extensions.

I turned off all extensions and still nothing. Could it be a bug in 3.3.2?

LordEntrails
September 26th, 2017, 21:51
Make sure you delete the npc from the CT. Also make sure you delete all spells from the NPC list and only have the spell casting trait on the NPC when finish creating the NPC. I know it gets parsed to the NPC when you add to the CT, but also think it gets parsed at some other time too.

Axoid
September 26th, 2017, 22:43
Make sure you delete the npc from the CT. Also make sure you delete all spells from the NPC list and only have the spell casting trait on the NPC when finish creating the NPC. I know it gets parsed to the NPC when you add to the CT, but also think it gets parsed at some other time too.

Thanks. Did both of those. When you close the NPC and re-open it it populates the spells (I delete them all each time I make a change). You don't have to add to the CT for that to happen. But if I close then add to the CT before opening, I still only get the populated spells without the DC and to hit #'s. The only thing I have in the test NPC is Spellcasting as a trait.

Moon Wizard
September 26th, 2017, 22:49
There was a change in v3.3.2, where the NPC attack modifiers and save DCs are no longer injected into the spell descriptions. Instead, when you drag or double-click a highlighted roll within the spell description text, the modifier is calculated using the information in the Spellcasting or Innate Spellcasting trait. This allows spellcaster NPCs to be copied and customized more easily, since only the Spellcasting trait needs to be updated with new attack/DC information.

Regards,
JPG

Axoid
September 26th, 2017, 23:02
There was a change in v3.3.2, where the NPC attack modifiers and save DCs are no longer injected into the spell descriptions. Instead, when you drag or double-click a highlighted roll within the spell description text, the modifier is calculated using the information in the Spellcasting or Innate Spellcasting trait. This allows spellcaster NPCs to be copied and customized more easily, since only the Spellcasting trait needs to be updated with new attack/DC information.

Regards,
JPG

So I tried both dragging the attack roll and saving throw from the spell description to another character, and for the to-hit roll it only added the base proficiency (+2), not the additional +5 I also had in the trait (+7 total). And for the saving throw it used DC10, not DC15.

When done from the combat tracker, the to-hit was the same but the saving throw did not have any DC value, it just stated "Save [13] -> [for Orin Dawnbreaker] [vs Test]"

Thanks
Don

Moon Wizard
September 26th, 2017, 23:19
Can you post the current Spellcasting trait text you are using, and let us know the spell you are dragging from? Then, I can attempt to recreate here.

Thanks,
JPG

Axoid
September 26th, 2017, 23:20
So I tried a few things, just to confirm some stuff.

I made my Wisdom 14 (for another +2 on save DC) and Charisma 16 (for another +3 on save DC), and used both Wisdom & wisdom in the Spellcasting trait text. It recognized the increased Wisdom and the DC was 12 not 10. I changed it to Charisma & charisma and the DC went to 13 for both. So it seems either caps or not works for the ability name. It also means it's picking up the trait text and knows which ability score to use.

I also did spell casting and spellcasting in the trait description, and the one with the space went back to a DC10, so that confirms that no space should be there (just spellcasting).

I also added a 14 DEX, and it changed the + to hit from +2 to +4, so it's recognizing the increased DEX but not the +7 in the trait still.

Just trying to eliminate possible issues.

Don

Axoid
September 26th, 2017, 23:21
Can you post the current Spellcasting trait text you are using, and let us know the spell you are dragging from? Then, I can attempt to recreate here.

Thanks,
JPG

The druid is a 4th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is wisdom (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). The druid has the following spells prepared.
1st level (4 slots): entangle

I picked those two spells as one has a ranged attack and the other has a saving throw.

Moon Wizard
September 26th, 2017, 23:59
It's working for me.

The spell save DC and to hit information in the Spellcasting trait is ignored, and the actual DC and to hit information is calculated from 8+NPC proficiency bonus+stat modifier.

Here's the steps I took:
* Create a new NPC
* Give it a name.
* Add the Spellcasting trait you posted above.
* Close NPC, and re-open to auto-populate spells
* Double-click the highlighted text in Entangle for "must succeed on a Strength saving throw"
* The "Save Vs" roll outputs to chat window with a DC of 10. (because ability is currently 10, or +0 modifier)
* Change the Wisdom of the NPC to 14.
* Double-click the saving throw in Entangle again, and the output says DC 12.

Can you walk me through your steps?

Regards,
JPG

Axoid
September 27th, 2017, 00:14
It's working for me.

The spell save DC and to hit information in the Spellcasting trait is ignored, and the actual DC and to hit information is calculated from 8+NPC proficiency bonus+stat modifier.

Here's the steps I took:
* Create a new NPC
* Give it a name.
* Add the Spellcasting trait you posted above.
* Close NPC, and re-open to auto-populate spells
* Double-click the highlighted text in Entangle for "must succeed on a Strength saving throw"
* The "Save Vs" roll outputs to chat window with a DC of 10. (because ability is currently 10, or +0 modifier)
* Change the Wisdom of the NPC to 14.
* Double-click the saving throw in Entangle again, and the output says DC 12.

Can you walk me through your steps?

Regards,
JPG

See post #15, I am getting the same results. If I change my abilities, it updates to DC10 to 12 or 13 or ...., depending on the ability score referenced in the trait.

But if I do this from the CT, the save doesn't output a DC#. It only outputs "Save [13] -> [for Orin Dawnbreaker] [vs Test]", where 13 was his d20 roll.

I guess I was looking for what the video did, to have the spells auto-populate with the DC I entered in the trait text, and not stay hidden behind the scenes. It sounds like from post #12 that is no longer a function. There could be times where the auto-calculated DC is lower or highrr than what you want as a DM, for balance reasons. I guess in those situations I would have to manually adjust the DC in each spell?

Thanks,

Moon Wizard
September 27th, 2017, 17:53
The DCs for the quick action entries in the combat tracker are set at the time that the NPC is added to the combat tracker (see below). If I double-click on the SAVEVS quick entry in the combat tracker, I get the Save Vs output to the chat window. If I drag the SAVEVS quick entry to a PC target, I get the correct saving throw roll and DC. (same picture below)

If you want to adjust the DCs for spells, you would do it before adding to the combat tracker. You can adjust the DC for all spells by adjusting the Challenge (CR) value of the NPC, which adjusts the proficiency bonus used for spell calculations. (see DMG or MM for rules) Otherwise, if you just want to adjust a single spell, you would need to explicitly add the DC to the spell description.

I'm not sure how you generated the save output above, but it looks like you cast a spell at Orin, instead of from Orin (whom I've been assuming is the druid with spellcasting that we're talking about).

Regards,
JPG

Axoid
September 27th, 2017, 18:48
The DCs for the quick action entries in the combat tracker are set at the time that the NPC is added to the combat tracker (see below). If I double-click on the SAVEVS quick entry in the combat tracker, I get the Save Vs output to the chat window. If I drag the SAVEVS quick entry to a PC target, I get the correct saving throw roll and DC. (same picture below)

If you want to adjust the DCs for spells, you would do it before adding to the combat tracker. You can adjust the DC for all spells by adjusting the Challenge (CR) value of the NPC, which adjusts the proficiency bonus used for spell calculations. (see DMG or MM for rules) Otherwise, if you just want to adjust a single spell, you would need to explicitly add the DC to the spell description.

I'm not sure how you generated the save output above, but it looks like you cast a spell at Orin, instead of from Orin (whom I've been assuming is the druid with spellcasting that we're talking about).

Regards,
JPG

Ok, I'll try that. Orin was the target of the spell, it was cast from the NPC I was creating (named Test for these threads).

What was shown in the video was a nice feature I feel. You could clearly see the DC or to hit values for all spells, and could adjust them all by changing two numbers under traits, instead of individually for each spell. You could also clearly see the values in the CT without the need to refer back to the NPC sheet. I guess there were reasons for taking it away, but it will be missed by me for sure.

Axoid
September 27th, 2017, 18:53
And also, thanks for everyone's help so far on this question.

Rades
September 30th, 2017, 02:49
I'm having a problem that sounds a bit like what's been described in this thread. I'm finding that NPC spells that require saving throws aren't being properly mathed/added to the combat tracker?

I did what Moon Wizard suggested in #17 - I made a new NPC and gave it a name, I gave it a 14 (+2) int score so these tests wouldn't just be default 10, I pasted in a Spellcasting trait (using the default CR mage's spellcasting). I closed the NPC sheet then re-opened it to populate the spells, then tested by double clicking the abilities from the NPC sheet, and both spell attack (Shocking Grasp) and spell save DC (Charm Person) worked fine and displayed the right numbers in the chat log.

However, next I dropped this new NPC into the combat tracker, made it a visible combatant, and set it to its turn in initiative. Then I tried to use these same spells from the "Offense" tab. I dragged the Shocking Grasp attack onto a PC who was on the combat tracker, it worked fine. But the Charm Person entry only says [SAVEVS: wisdom (magic)] in the Offense listing, and doesn't have a DC listed. When I dragged that onto a PC, the board rolled a d20 and added that PC's bonus in the chat, but didn't compare it to any DC, nor say if it was a success or failure. Next I tried targeting the PC, as the test NPC, and double-clicked the Charm Person saving throw, but it once again just rolled a d20 + the PC's bonus, without comparing it against the spell DC.

Here's video of me demonstrating these steps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXVWYACMfMs

Is there something different I should be doing here? It's great that the NPC sheet auto-populates spells from the Spellcasting trait description, and the spell attacks work perfectly...but if I have to go into the NPC sheet manually and add specific saving throw DCs to each spell requiring a saving throw, that seems a huge hassle.

Thanks for any help!

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2017, 22:40
This is a known issue that is fixed in the next version (v3.3.3) that will be released today or tomorrow.

Regards,
JPG