PDA

View Full Version : New install 3.3.2 - Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)

Seast868
September 26th, 2017, 03:19
I am a new user to Fantasy Grounds. I downloaded the FG installer for version 3.3.2 and it looked like it downloaded fine. When I try to run the Fantasy Grounds.exe I get the following message:

Ruleset: launcher
Error: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml)
Do you want to try reloading the data?

If I click yes, nothing happens.
If I click no, the box closes and FG doesn't load.

Can someone help?

Zacchaeus
September 26th, 2017, 03:41
Hi Seast welcome to FG.

Can you say whether this is on a mac or PC? If on a PC can you check your ruleset folder to see if ther are any temporary files in ther. You will find your data folder by clicking on the small folder icon on the top right of the start up screen just above the version number. If you find any temp files delete them and run an update.

If that doesn't help then delete the corerpg.pak file from the ruleset folder and run an apdate. Also check that your Antivirus software hasn't quarantined Fantasy Grounds. This has been known to happen with some AVs

Seast868
September 26th, 2017, 04:00
I have a PC (lenovo ultrabook with Windows 8). I don't see anything quarantined in any AV software. I also tried deleting the corerpg.pak and ran the update. The file was downloaded again but the error still persisted. I looked to uninstall the entire program to reinstall but I don't see it in the registry to actually uninstall. Is this normal?

Zacchaeus
September 26th, 2017, 04:04
Can you say where you installed the FG.exe and where the data files have installed? And do you have full read/write permission to the folder where the data files are?

Seast868
September 26th, 2017, 04:10
FG.exe is installed here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds

data files are installed here: C:/Users/jzeas_000/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/

Yes, I do have read/write access to these folders.

Zacchaeus
September 26th, 2017, 04:26
Ok, those are the correct locations. Do you get the error as soon as you start FG or when you try to start a campaign. If the latter what ruleset are you trying to load? Also are you running the demo version or the standard or ultimate?

Seast868
September 26th, 2017, 04:30
FG doesn't actually even start to run when I run the executable. It just gives me a white box with the error message as soon as i double click on the exe icon. I am currently trying to run the demo version.

Zacchaeus
September 26th, 2017, 04:40
Can you check in settings that the locations noted for the client and data folders are pointing at the correct locations. They should be pointing at the locations you noted above.

Wait you won't see settings since it won't launch. I think you may need to reinstall.

Trenloe
September 26th, 2017, 04:44
Check in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds for a file called launcher.pak Delete this file.

Then run FGUpdaterEngine.exe and perform an update. This should re-download the launcher.pak file (1,980 KB) and hopefully this will allow you to start FG fully.

Seast868
September 30th, 2017, 12:20
Trenloe,

That did it. I deleted the launcher.pak file, updated and FG fired right up.

I want to commend both Zacchaeus and Trenloe for their amazing tech support and response time. I wish all tech support was as responsive and knowledgeable as you two. Looking forward to playing on FG!!!