PDA

View Full Version : Mac Settings

daggerfortysix
September 25th, 2017, 16:32
Are Mac users simply shutting down following a /save or returning to the menu screen? When I return to the menu screen to change campaigns or extensions as necessary to troubleshoot update errors, my Mac takes literally hours to return to the main menu. I usually end up having to force quit FG only to return next time with a database backup warning.

Also, occasionally, the top bar with the red, yellow, and green circles disappears and I cannot resize the screen. The pointer turns into an X. This is only solved by completely restarting the Mac. My <ac is a brand new Mac Book Pro v10.12.6.

Ive got everything set up using pureVPN to start DM'ing games but these issue are causing problems. My FG install is straight from there MAC OSX installation link.

Any suggestions?

Bidmaron
September 25th, 2017, 19:18
I use parallels virtual machine and it runs just like on a PC

LordEntrails
September 25th, 2017, 19:47
I've heard mention of this issue elsewhere. And I think someone said there was a switch or setting in WINE that could be changed to help this. But, really don't know any details (other than I remember it being mentioned and their was a solution for it).

daggerfortysix
September 25th, 2017, 19:49
I don’t know enough about WINE to be messing around with things like that. It’s really not that big of a deal, it just means that I will have to game for eternity because shutting down is difficult. Such is life....

Really though, if someone knows more about this, let us know. Thanks!

ddavison
September 25th, 2017, 21:52
From what we can tell, it seems to be a problem if you close the app by force closing it or clicking on the Mac window close icon. In both cases, the Mac terminates WINE immediately and doesn't allow Fantasy Grounds to write out the normal campaign xml that it does when you close normally. To allow it to close gracefully, right-click on the desktop and choose the Exit Program > Return to Launcher or Exit Program > Exit Program option.

daggerfortysix
September 25th, 2017, 21:57
It definitely does not like being force closed. I discovered that by accidentally hitting the red circle. I always try to allow it to close gracefully, by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing the Exit Program > Return to Launcher. That action; however, seems to take literally hours to return to the launcher. That makes it very difficult to check extensions following an upgrade. I find that deleting the windows state file help open reboot. Unfortunately I have to be away for a while and won't be able to reply for a few hours. I'd love to get this solved as it makes me nervous about the stability off saves. Sorry I cannot help right away!

Moon Wizard
September 25th, 2017, 22:45
You don't need to return to the launcher. You can just use the Exit Program > Exit option. If it returns to the launcher, it has to perform extra data cleanup, since the assumption is that you can load another campaign.

Regards,
JPG