PDA

View Full Version : Alias is advertised/duplicated?

Indarien
September 24th, 2017, 15:08
I'm not sure if something changed in v3.3.2 or I've just never noticed this before, but I started a game up yesterday (around 2300 UTC for troubleshooting purposes) and within a few minutes several players outside my group had joined. They dropped, but then a different group joined. This seems to have filled all the open sockets on my connection, so my actual players could not join. When I checked the connection table, I was showing ~50 connections to my server, plus a number waiting to Time-Out.
Backing out to the launcher, I generated a new alias, sent it to my players, and we had no issues after that point, although I did end up with 1 random player jumping in (a player using the name 'Scott') who was on long enough to go, "Whoops, this is not my game" and then drop.
So I'm not sure if there is something advertising the alias, or the server coordinating this was a bit wonky yesterday, but I thought I'd mention it here in case other people were having this problem or something odd is happening with aliases and the 3.3.2 update.
Thanks.

LordEntrails
September 24th, 2017, 18:43
I didn't experience that yesterday with my game. But doesn't mean something wasn't going on.

Note that aliases are generated from a revolving list, so it's possible that that you were given an alias that someone has got assigned months ago and their players are still using. BUT, that number of connections for such a situation seems unlikely.

Maybe Moon or someone will jump on soon and take a look or have better ideas.

JohnD
September 24th, 2017, 18:47
A while ago my alias spontaneously changed. Never understood why. Never pressed the button to generate a new one... it just showed up with different words and people couldn't connect through the old one.

Probably not related, but reading this thread has jogged my memory.

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2017, 23:52
Nothing has changed in the alias system. There has always been a chance that the same words could be generated. Many people click it multiple times to get one they like, so collisions aren't likely to happen but they can.

Regards,
JPG

Indarien
September 25th, 2017, 15:32
It just seemed peculiar, I wonder if the alias RNG just managed to duplicate a lot at that time. It did not impact the game any once the new alias was generated, so not a big deal.