PDA

View Full Version : Klooge.Weks comparison?

TiaMaster
February 20th, 2006, 15:26
I have used both Klooge and FG and have to say that the difference to me seems to be:

- Klooge has more functionality and customizability

- FG is prettier that other VTTs out there

So I was wondering if anyone has seen a good comparison review of each, or maybe has extensively used each and has time to do one.

lunatis
February 20th, 2006, 20:21
Well, I don't really think a feature list would help in a comparison of these products. For me it's not the features that help me decide which product to use but the style of play that it supports. It seems like Klooge.Werks, OpenRPG, GhostOrb and Battlegrounds: RPG Edition only support a highly combat-focused game style, using miniatures and a complex combat system such as d20. Although FG does just fine for this type of play, it may lack some of the features you will find elsewhere. Where it really shines, however, is the way it facilitates atmosphere and narrative role-play. In my opinion, it's the only product that actually recreates the atmosphere of pen&paper role-playing. Also, there are many RPG systems out there that aim for simplicity of mechanics (e.g., Sorcerer, FUDGE and FATE) and that do not profit at all from all those extra-features in other online table-top systems. Or would you include "atmospheric" features in your list?

DM_BK
February 22nd, 2006, 17:08
Ive played on a number of different VTTs:

FG Pros:
-Stable, troublefree operation, easy to understand for everyone. Jump right in and start playing from day one.
-Does a nice job of really emulating that table top feel.
-All around great app that does what it does very well and looks great doing it.

FG Cons:
-Takes the table top feel to far. Next to none automation tools. Future patches appear to be heading towards addressing this issue.
-No sound support. If you had software that made use of sound and you used it, you will missed that greatly.
-Not cross platform. Yeah I lost some mac players moving over to FG.
-No documentation to speak of on custom rulesets. Even with the information on the forums it takes some thought for the average user to grasp.
-Poor support for unplanned events.... dont expect to toss a map, etc. in after you get started. Adding images in requires restart.
-No game browser.

Klooge. Werks:

Pros:
-This software can do anything. Its the most feature rich app out there.
-Cross platform
-Very responsive on the dev side. Frequent code additions and changes in response to community.
-GREAT automation tools for RPG combat etc. If you do a lot of combat this will make everyones life easier.
-Fairly easy to understand custom rules system.
-Floating licenses.

Cons:
-Java really makes this app unstable. You will have problems every session. Often minor but there was always something.
-There is a learning curve no matter how well adjusted you are to software of this nature. It really takes a few sessions to get the hang of.
-A lot of the interfaces are clunky and poorly designed.

Java issues and general problems of that nature drove me over to FG. I miss a lot about KW but in the end ease of use and stable games is what I most desire.

Biggest improvements I would like to see for FG:
-Game Browser (the calendar isnt enough)
-Better combat tools (coming)
-Floating Licenses
-Sound support (Wishlist...not really that critical).

BK

Cantstanzya
February 22nd, 2006, 17:16
-Poor support for unplanned events.... dont expect to toss a map, etc. in after you get started. Adding images in requires restart.
BK
You do not have to restart when adding an image. I have added maps on the fly during my campaign without any problems and without having to restart. You do however have to restart if you wanted to add a token, but that is very rare that you would need to do that during a game. Hopefully this is something that they will add, but to me it is low priority.

gurney9999
February 22nd, 2006, 17:21
Oops... Cas beat me to it.

richvalle
February 22nd, 2006, 17:26
Nice comparison!

If you are adding 'dev support' to the KW list, I'd think it should be on the FG list as well. They have been very responsive to user feedback and requests for features.

rv

DM_BK
February 22nd, 2006, 17:43
I stand corrected...I was thinking of tokens.

richvalle:

Patchs have taken to long for me to agree with you. Talking is all I mostly see. I dont consider that good enough.

BK

richvalle
February 22nd, 2006, 18:16
I stand corrected...I was thinking of tokens.

richvalle:

Patchs have taken to long for me to agree with you. Talking is all I mostly see. I dont consider that good enough.

BK

Then you need to have been around longer. :)

They have made 5 major updates in a year (not counting the .a, .b patches made to the major updates). I don't think that is a bad record. For me the software is WAY better now then it was when I first bought it. The map zooming and pins alone double the worth of the software.

Plus, I find it strange that you complain that KW is "lot of the interfaces are clunky and poorly designed" and "You will have problems every session" but then turn and complain when FG devs are taking their time to make things stable/useable.

Yes, the 1.06 version is taking a while to come out. It has too. Its going to be a HUGE change to FG. The amount of testing, tweaking and creating of new content (using the new toys) just boggles the mind.

Even with it taking this long I'd bet we'll see some 'a', 'b' patches to clear up minor issues.

Just out of curiosity... how many version updates does KW come out with in a year? Maybe in comparison to KW FG updates seem slow?

Later,

rv

DM_BK
February 22nd, 2006, 20:23
Well Richvalle, I gave an honest opinon from the way I see it. I was extremely netural in my presentation. Maybe it wasnt clear but I switched to FG being fully aware of all the facts on ALL of the VTT clients out there. I dont know what greater endorsement I can give these people more then my cold hard cash.

However, theres always room for improvement.

BK

richvalle
February 22nd, 2006, 21:15
Oh sure. Sorry... wasn't trying to knock you or what you wrote (I thought it was well done). I just thought the Dev support of FG was worthy of mention.

Though, as I said, maybe KW came out with more patchs/updates over time then FG did. I demo'ed KW years ago but never followed though on it. Its very possible that their support is better/quicker then FG's.

rv

Snikle
February 22nd, 2006, 22:12
I have to say that I have read allot about how other apps automate allot of the rules in whatever rpg they happen to be using, for me this is not a big issue, I don't pretend to even be related to rules lawyers. The biggest difference between FG and everyother app out there is immersion, with FG I simply 'feel' like I am sitting around a table with friends, I dont feel like I am at my computer using a piece of software, and that I think is the biggest thing going for FG.

DarkStar
February 22nd, 2006, 23:09
Same here. I gave a look to a few VTTs before I bought FG. They were either too complicated or plain ugly, whilst Fantasy Grounds was a piece of cake ever since I ran it for the first time and it was beautiful, full screen + those graphics makes for a great roleplaying experience. Well, I think we can't get any closer to pen & paper RPGs until somebody starts using VR.

Morfedel
February 24th, 2006, 03:53
I dont know what greater endorsement I can give these people more then my cold hard cash.

You know... I like that.. I like that a lot! I may snag that for a sig. Would you object? ;)