PDA

View Full Version : trouble loading maps these last two weeks

Kajun Kevin
September 24th, 2017, 08:34
I am running the latest fantasy grounds on a Windows 10 v1703 PC with the latest updates. Last week before the updates I first had problems logging in to the server. The download bar would freeze part way there. Cleared cache, and retried. Would load part way then freeze again. Canceled and tried again. Would load a little farther and freeze again. After 4 of 5 retries it would finally let me in.

Once the map loaded I couldn't see anything. We ultimately found out that the GM had to re-unhide the areas of the map that was supposed to be visible. The rest of last week went OK

This week I installed the updates. Again I had the exact same issue loading the game when logging into the server. Once I got in, the map loaded all hidden. That was the last map to load. When we moved to the next map it would say Loading in the background. It never would load. I could see the user tokens over the loading map but I couldn't interact with it. I could zoom the loading map with tokens in or out but i could not scroll the view. This persisted form almost all graphics to load for the rest of the gaming session. We had one more map that loaded with PC tokens but only green squares where friendly NPC tokens should have been. Additional images would not load. Also, the character icons would not load. Only empty boxes.

Early in the gaming session I even deleted the C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds directory, redownloaded and reinstalled the program. Again, it took several attempts to download the files while logging into the server and the game loaded with exactly the same issues!!

Please help!!

One final note. When I click join game, the GMs server now lists twice: once under the server name and once under the IP address. The same issues occur no matter which one I select. Is this normal for it to list twice and if so, does it matter which one I choose?

dellanx
September 24th, 2017, 09:18
I have port forwarding on port 1802. Had 3 other players connect, Kevin is the only one not able to load images.

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
September 24th, 2017, 10:28
I suspect that there is too much information being shared. Try unsharing maps which you no longer need as well as images and especially tokens if you have any of those shared. Additionally do you need all the modules open too.

Talyn
September 24th, 2017, 14:14
I agree with Zacc, it sounds like your GM is sharing way too much stuff and forgetting (or never knew to begin with) to unshare battlemaps after you're done with them. All that takes up a lot of memory on the player's side and bandwidth on the GM side as the networking in FG is a bit primitive.

Early in the gaming session I even deleted the C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds directory, redownloaded and reinstalled the program.

This will amplify the problem, because now the GMs machine has to re-download every single thing he's ever shared with you, not just the latest map.

Again, this sounds more like your GM needs to learn some good habits about first, not sharing too much stuff (especially GM Modules) that players don't need to begin with, and second, unsharing stuff after it's no longer needed. That will ease up everything for everyone.

dellanx
September 24th, 2017, 17:03
Zacchaeus and Talyn, thank you for the info, I un-shared the images.

JohnD
September 24th, 2017, 17:59
Out of curiosity, how much did you have shared and what modules (if any)? This may help to fine tune the solution for others who read this thread going forward.

dellanx
September 24th, 2017, 21:14
Out of curiosity, how much did you have shared and what modules (if any)? This may help to fine tune the solution for others who read this thread going forward.

I had about a years worth in images shared. 53 sessions LOL However the All/Shared select made it very easy to un-share.

Nylanfs
September 25th, 2017, 14:06
Make sure the players nuke their cache upon next connection to help on their end also.