PDA

View Full Version : How about a new setting?

jaiaxe
February 20th, 2006, 11:25
Hi!

I was wonder if i could adapt my Setting into the FG Database...

Would it be worth?
Would it be of some use?
What topics should i focus on?

I'm translating it to English, and handing it to the Wizards community just for a proper revision, and some tips for a good work!

I was wonder if anyone here could give me some hints for my questions!

Thanks.

Sigurd
February 20th, 2006, 18:54
I think that even the most wonderful independent setting would have to be a labour of love to add to Fantasy Grounds. The unfair thing would be that with no built in player recognition it wouldn't bring new customers to FG and they would be foolish to pay for it.

That said, you might find a circle of play testers and, eventually, maintainers that might make developing it easier. If it was easy to use you would certainly get feed back and appreciation if the setting appealed to people.

Unless you are really Christopher Tolkien, or JK Rowling, you'd be in the "I love my world set it free" box. Not a bad place to be - you have pure motives and less obligation (free items can always give customers' money back :) ).

I think settings will mostly get swept in along with modules. If they aren't sort of 'Generic medievalesq" there are over a dozen settings to draw inspiration from.

Now a Ruleset & Table support that might be a different matter, but it would depend on how good the finished results were...

Hope I'm not discouraging I think its cool to have your own world in your back pocket.

Sigurd

jaiaxe
February 21st, 2006, 13:35
for the quick answer!

Everyone dreams about being out there, being famous... i just wanted to share a part of my world! i dont have the spare time, taht tolkien or J.K Rowling Has... besides... they were riches!! ;) tanks anyway!

gurney9999
February 21st, 2006, 15:46
Before you give up so fast... Is this a d20 setting? If so, you could do it if you learn how to create a ruleset within FG. There are various threads here that cover bits and pieces on how to do this. I know tutorials are in the works, and hopefully there will be better documentation on this once SW releases their updated docs (after 1.06).

As far as 'Would it be Worth (it)?" If you want to run a long-term game using your own ruleset, then of course it could be worth it (if you have a long-term plan for this setting). Plus if you run a game that others take part in, you could get good feedback on your setting in case you are trying to sell it to Wizards or yourself through RPGNow, etc.

Now Sigurd assumed that you were asking this as a lead in to selling a new ruleset for FG. If this is the case, then I agree that a ruleset for a setting never seen before would be a very tough sell.

jaiaxe
February 21st, 2006, 21:14
:) No. I played Forgotten REalms long ago, and also a home made campaign with my previous DM's, I'd liked very much of both... but i was thrilled with home made campaigns, it's like i'm going in the street thinking how can i turn the city of Zyndar a Myth, and then put that into words that come out your mouth in an home campaign made by you!! it's just .. no words...

I played my Home campign since 2003, till 3 months ago.. the party had become old and with news (for me bad) habits... so i start thinking... that all my effort was going down the pipe (this seems like a romance ieeee.. i know you all eared it before!! :p)...

So i start looking for newcomers in foruns, and gess what.. i found FG in a dungeon advertisement.. it look so cool!!

I start working with the FG with 2 of my friends starting to understand how it works... and i thought it would be a new way, but at least is a way to revive my home campaign setting...

but if im on it i would like some "give and take" and i post a topic here so you guys could give some hints!

And i wont give up, even if is just for an home campaign!

Sigurd
February 21st, 2006, 21:52
I ddn't mean to sound pessimistic, just clear.

I think custom rulesets are wonderful and I wish you luck. It sounds like you are doing it for all the right reasons and people. Its good to do something for other people - even people you haven't met, yet.