PDA

View Full Version : Update to v3.3.2 ruined MoreCore

Kairaku
September 23rd, 2017, 08:57
I didn't have any extensions running.

I had created my entire ruleset for Dragon Warriors in MoreCore and the latest bloody update removed everything except Images. That is over 40 hours work wiped out.

Please remove your recommendation in your documentation to update when an update is available when you are making updates that are so damn tempramental! I am seriously upset and about ready to rage quit this damn application!

dulux-oz
September 23rd, 2017, 09:58
For the record, MoreCore is a Community Ruleset and therefore outside the update responsibility of SmiteWorks; instead it lies with the (volunteer) Community Member to update (just like Community developed Extensions.

I feel your pain, having been caught once early on myself. However, there should be a backup copy of your database file (db.xml) in the same directory - if you grab that you'll probably find that all your work is AOK.

Please let us know how you go and if you require further help, etc.

Good luck

damned
September 23rd, 2017, 12:29
Hola Kairaku

Ive been busy elsewhere the last few months. I was directed to your message by the good Zacchaeus. What issue are you having. I have not done much testing as yet but I just launched two MoreCore campaigns and they seem to work. What exactly are you having issues with? Can you share your campaign with me and a screenshot and a description of what issues you are seeing?

Kairaku
September 23rd, 2017, 13:22
The Characters, Modifiers, Notes, Tables, Quests, NPCs, Encounters, Items and Rolls tables have all been reset to blank.

The Images and Tokens are still okay (the files I actually have copies of :cry: ).

I'm not sure what screenshots would help...it just looks like a brand new MoreCore campaign.

My campaign is called Comet in the sky if that helps.

I have tried loading from the xml files, for the characters, but they don't hold all the created characters, just the templates.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers
Kairaku

Kairaku
September 23rd, 2017, 13:40
For the record, MoreCore is a Community Ruleset and therefore outside the update responsibility of SmiteWorks; instead it lies with the (volunteer) Community Member to update (just like Community developed Extensions.

I am aware of that from other posts. What I am saying is that the documentation I have read encourages users to update when an update is available, without providing a clear warning that doing such an update could bugger up any community content. This is at the same time that you use the fact that users can customise the rulesets as a positive feature of purchasing and using Fantasy Grounds. More communication and reminders concerning this aspect should be included in Fantasy Grounds documentation. Also a warning when you click the update button would be good, stating something along the lines of "warning this update may/ is likely to/ will/ could cause issues with any community content you have running. Do you wish to continue...yes...no"

You can't both value community developed content and dismiss it with a throw away "we take no responsibility for compatibility" without providing fair warning to users. That is even less than all care no responsibility.

Cheers
Kairaku

Talyn
September 23rd, 2017, 14:11
ANY time an application allows "addons" or "mods" from third-party community members, the responsibility is on those third-party developers to check for compatibility when a client update like this is coming. The test phase for 3.3.2 was what, two months for us to do that? Then when it's released, the responsibility is on the end users to update all their third-party content. That's always been the case. As an example, World of Warcraft, one of the biggest online games developed by one of the biggest videogame studios (Blizzard) and published by one of the largest publishers (Activision) allows for Lua addons (the equivalent of our Lua extensions on Fantasy Grounds) and every time there's a client version update, guess who has to go check that all the addons are still compatible with the new version? The players. It's not Blizzard's responsibility to cater to thousands of scripts, nor is it SmiteWorks responsibility to cater to hundreds of extensions or modules that community members wrote.

Every choice has a consequence. The choice to use third-party DLC for Fantasy Grounds comes with the consequence of accepting responsibility for checking that it's up-to-date and compatible with the new client version.

Kairaku
September 23rd, 2017, 14:17
And I accept that. At no time have I stated that I do not accept that.

What I am saying is that a little additional and simple communication goes a long way to providing a better customer experience.

Talyn
September 23rd, 2017, 14:38
Totally agree with that one. I had an email discussion with Moon Wizard last night about that very thing. It sounds like the solution they're going to go with from now on is to flag all extensions to automatically disable when there's a client update, but I said either way there needs to be an alert right in the users' faces stating that this occurred and the reason why.

Kairaku
September 23rd, 2017, 14:53
Thank you for the advice Dulux-Oz. I have gone through all the backup dbs and have found one that has most of the work I had previously completed that would load.

Despite that what I have said has value as feedback. Smite is not Blizzard with millions of customers, the majority of whom do not use LUAs. I don't then think Smite even has market share in the VTT arena, despite having what I consider a better (if less accessible) product than Roll20.

What Fantasy Grounds does have going for it though is a very dedicated community who enjoy adding content to what has already been developed and on a per user basis would have several orders of magnitude above those others stated who use LUA extensions.

Some simple words in the documentation produced (and perhaps even an extra click) would cost you very little, but would improve the customer experience to a great degree. You are right that every choice has a consequence, pointing out those consequences in simple terms at the right time is what makes for a professional service.

Cheers
Kairaku

damned
September 23rd, 2017, 15:04
Send me your campaign file and I will have a look.

damned
September 23rd, 2017, 15:05
Zip up the whole folder and put it somewhere I can download.

Myrdin Potter
September 23rd, 2017, 15:07
Please make a copy of your campaign folder right away as well. I back up my whole folder every week after I run my game and I also back-up regularly when I am developing content.

There is a back-up file in the folder but don't try and open it until damned has helped you.