PDA

View Full Version : 5E Player Effect Removal Extension

Nickademus
September 23rd, 2017, 07:28
This extension is compatible with the current version of FGC (and maybe FGU).
5E Player Effect Removal Extension
Version: 2.0
Rulesets: 5E
With help from: Trenloe
Description: Via the use of a single effect tag REMOVE: this extension allows players to remove effects that have been applied by them to either their own PC or other creatures (friendly, neutral or hostile). If the player has applied the effect, they can remove that effect through the use of this extension.

v2.0 Update Notes

This extension uses a new design to minimize conflicts with other extensions and increase its resilience against FG updates.

Modification Specifics
Modified:
campaign/scripts/power_action.lua
campaign/scripts/power_action_mini.lua

-- Remove Effect Tag --
How to Use
To remove an effect from yourself or another creature in the combat tracker, simply make an effect with the tag 'REMOVE: ' followed by the full name of the effect to be removed. For instance, to remove the 'Sneak Attack; DMG: 1d6' effect, you would make an effect called 'REMOVE: Sneak Attack; DMG: 1d6'. Then you just apply the removal effect to the target. A special button represents the removal effect and will appear once you have typed REMOVE. The effect is case sensitive so make sure the REMOVE: entry matches the effect application entry exactly - the best way to do this is to copy the effect line and paste into the REMOVE: entry.

NOTE: The creature with the effect must be targeted to remove it. If you are using effects with a target of "SELF" then the removal effect must also be set to "SELF".

How Does It Work
The removal tag searches the target for an effect with the name indicated after the 'REMOVE:' and removes it.

The following screenshots show examples of how this is setup in the charsheet Actions tab and how the chat display shows the removal of the effect.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14817&d=1469416632

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14819&d=1469416717

Raddu
September 23rd, 2017, 17:25
Fantastic, thanks for the update!

LordEntrails
September 24th, 2017, 04:58
I think you mean version 3.3.2, not 3.2.2... :)

Nickademus
September 24th, 2017, 06:38
We're on 3.3.2 already!? Far out...

Baron28
September 24th, 2017, 15:30
I dropped the file in the extensions folder and launched FG. The extension doesn't show up in the list. The old version of this extension does show up in the list of extensions. Please advise.

Zacchaeus
September 24th, 2017, 15:47
Remove the old version.

drakonin
September 24th, 2017, 15:55
Awesome work man, thanks!

Baron28
September 24th, 2017, 16:09
I loaded the extension and then ran the updater. I see the extension now. Thanks!

JohnD
September 24th, 2017, 18:49
Nice.

Jiminimonka
November 11th, 2017, 15:36
Sorry, this new forum appears to not be showing the files, so I can't download them, or have you stopped adding the files to the forums posts now?

Trenloe
November 11th, 2017, 15:58
Sorry, this new forum appears to not be showing the files, so I can't download them, or have you stopped adding the files to the forums posts now?
The file is there at the bottom of post #1.

Some things to try:

Make sure you're not using mobile view, and also try changing the theme to FGResponsive.
Try a different browser.
Change the URL to be https

Raddu
November 11th, 2017, 15:59

They're there at the bottom of the first post it says:
"Attached Files Attached Files
File Type: ext 5E Remove Effect Tag.ext (19.1 KB, 37 views)"

Jiminimonka
November 11th, 2017, 16:03
Thanks. I see the paper clip icon and the words attached files but they are not links. Will try it in a non-Chrome browser (though if you cant make a website run on all browsers forum developers vBulletin....)

LordEntrails
November 11th, 2017, 16:19
Thanks. I see the paper clip icon and the words attached files but they are not links. Will try it in a non-Chrome browser (though if you cant make a website run on all browsers forum developers vBulletin....)
Works fine in Chrome for me. As mentioned above, it is more likely that you are in Mobile mode or your theme needs to be changed to FGResponsive. Let us know if those don't work.

Jiminimonka
November 11th, 2017, 16:22
Works fine in Edge! Dunno why its being a dork today. Thanks.

damned
November 11th, 2017, 22:56
As the posters above point out your Chrome has switched to mobile view. Go into Profile -> Settings and choose the FG Responsive theme.

Gruber
December 1st, 2017, 01:02
This is great, thank you. I've just bought FG and am currently learning it, so these kind of efforts really help.

Nickademus
December 1st, 2017, 01:54
Glad you like it.

HuseyinCinar
September 27th, 2018, 23:46
Does this work with IFT: clauses?

Can I code Lay on Hands effects as "IFT: poisoned; REMOVE: poisoned" or something?

Nickademus
September 27th, 2018, 23:53
No. The effect has to begin with 'REMOVE: '

Rino
December 12th, 2018, 15:00
I made an modified version of this extension.

In addition to what it normally can do, you can now put a REMOVE at the end of an effect. If you then activate that effect, it will be added to the token as normal, but without the REMOVE. The REMOVE part is then executed (i.e. removing what you wanted).

Example:
Effect 1) "Hidden; ADVATK; GRANTDISATK" (write without quotes, and set targeting to 'Self' and expire to 'never')
Effect 2) "Sneak attack damage; DMG:1d6; REMOVE: Hidden; ADVATK; GRANTDISATK" (write without quotes, and set targeting to 'Self' and expire to 'expend on next roll')

a) Player rolls Hide skill, and then click 'Effect 1' - Hidden i applied to the character/token
b) Player attacks with sneak attack (gets advantage from 'Hidden' effect)
c) Player hits, and then clicks 'Effect 2' to indicate that he will get sneak damage on next damage roll. At this point 'Effect 2' automatically removed 'Hidden' and applied 'Sneak damage' (Note: if player missed, he would just click 'Effect 1' again to auto remove it)
d) Player rolls damage (and auto gets sneak damage also). 'Effect 2' is auto removed (as part of 'expend on next roll')

Here is the modified extension:

jmucchiello
May 3rd, 2019, 02:53
Getting an error loading the original ext:
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_effect_5E.lua"]:7: attempt to call field 'registerEffectVar' (a nil value)

Raddu
May 3rd, 2019, 03:02
This is now included as a base part of the ruleset, so you shouldn't need this extension any longer.

jmucchiello
May 3rd, 2019, 05:26
The first post on the extensions list should be updated.

Trenloe
May 3rd, 2019, 06:15
This is now included as a base part of the ruleset, so you shouldn't need this extension any longer.
The ability for players to remove effects with the click of a button is not included in the base ruleset.

Similar functionality is included in the Enhanced Combat extension - if the same effect is applied to an actor in the combat tracker it is removed. Maybe you're getting confused with this?

Trenloe
May 3rd, 2019, 06:25
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_effect_5E.lua"]:7: attempt to call field 'registerEffectVar' (a nil value)
When do you get this error?
Do you have any other extensions loaded?

I've loaded a 5E campaign with no other extensions (except this one) and it works OK for me.

Nickademus
May 3rd, 2019, 20:23
Are you referring to this extension or the one from Rino in the above post? I've been using the extension since the update with no issues.

This functionality has never been part of the ruleset. This extension allows any player to remove any effect from any target by using a button that can also be put on a hotbar. The functionality added to the ruleset only allows a player to remove an effect they created by accessing a drop-down list in the combat tracker.

jmucchiello
May 3rd, 2019, 20:46
When do you get this error?
Do you have any other extensions loaded?

I've loaded a 5E campaign with no other extensions (except this one) and it works OK for me.

Vanilla 5e campaign. Nothing else loaded. The extension in question is the one at the top of this thread.

Nickademus
May 3rd, 2019, 21:13
Considering my extension doesn't modify the manager_effect_5E file, I'm going to guess that Rino didn't use my function hijacking trick and thus his version will run into conflicts each update and have to be reworked. You will have to disable the extension until he updates it to be compatible with the new version of FG. (This is why the structure of the extension was changed in the first place.)

Honestly, it would be best if that modified extension had its own thread so that any troubleshooting for it doesn't get confused with the extension on the first post of this thread.

Trenloe
May 4th, 2019, 06:13
Vanilla 5e campaign. Nothing else loaded. The extension in question is the one at the top of this thread.
Please provide a screenshot of the chat window after load - so we can see the exact versions of everything being loaded.

To confirm - you're using just the extension in post #1 of this thread, not the one at the top of this page? You don't even have that one downloaded?

When does the error occur?

Minty23185Fresh
March 6th, 2020, 15:54
Nickademus and Trenloe thank you for this extension. Another DM, that I share DM'ing responsibilities with, and I use it in our campaigns.

Because of my familiarity with it, it served double duty for me. I am developing a little extension to help with 5E Bardic Inspiration. Dissecting your extension helped me quickly determine what code I needed to change to modify who has "Remove" privileges. Thanks again.

Because I piggyback on the addEffect() function, as does your extension, the load order of the two extensions is important. By happenstance, they load in the proper order and things work out great. If you should touch the code of your extension at some point in the future, might I prevail upon you to please add a "<loadorder>" to the extension.xml? I might not be so fortunate in the future without it.

Nickademus
March 8th, 2020, 21:02
Can do. What load order do you use?

jrock1
May 7th, 2020, 04:27
Is this REMOVE: extension compatible with Starfinder (SFRPG)!?

LordEntrails
May 7th, 2020, 04:37
Is this REMOVE: extension compatible with Starfinder (SFRPG)!?
Doubtful. But be aware that since this extension was written, similar capability has been added into the core capabilities of FG. And since SFRPG is relatively new, it probably also already has much of this already built in. you should look/ask int he SFRPG forums for specifics.

jrock1
May 7th, 2020, 05:08
Dear Author,
Could you please work with SFRPG dev (@Trenloe#1591) to develop a conversion? https://discordapp.com/channels/274582899045695488/413468612435640333/707804589004685323
Note that I did not get feedback initially from Trenloe, but it's worth a try.

Nickademus
May 7th, 2020, 05:18
Doubtful. But be aware that since this extension was written, similar capability has been added into the core capabilities of FG. And since SFRPG is relatively new, it probably also already has much of this already built in. you should look/ask int he SFRPG forums for specifics.

To my knowledge, nothing like this was ever added to FG. They added the ability to remove your own effects inside the Combat Tracker, but there is no way to create an effect button that can be put on the hotbar to remove any effect.
It is specific to the architecture of 5e, but since it uses a hijack, it might be able to be changed to SFRPG and work as well. Someone that knows the ruleset code would have to tell you if it has an EffectManager that uses the function AddEffect to apply effect to the Combat Tracker.

Trenloe helped with the development of this extension and knows how to duplicate it for SFRPG if he wanted too. He probably doesn't have the time right now.

LordEntrails
May 7th, 2020, 17:41
To my knowledge, nothing like this was ever added to FG. They added the ability to remove your own effects inside the Combat Tracker, but there is no way to create an effect button that can be put on the hotbar to remove any effect.
Correct. When this was developed their was not the player ability to remove effects from the CT and this was the only way a player could do that (by making a Remove effect). Since FG now has the ability for players to remove the effects they add/own themselves I've not needed this extension (I'm satisfied with the 'new' FG way of doing it).

But you're right, Trenloe could add this is he wanted, I suspect he has figured like me that the core capability is close enough and not a priority to add. But, that's up to him and I wouldn't be opposed :) (Not that I use SFRPG)

mattekure
May 7th, 2020, 17:59
I still use this extension. Mainly to allow players to remove certain conditions that may be applied on them from other sources that they cant remove themselves. The most common example is removing the Prone condition after being knocked down. I create a power called "Stand Up" with the effect "REMOVE: Prone"

jrock1
May 7th, 2020, 18:25
In SFRPG I would initially use the REMOVE function to turn off Solarian Stellar Modes (Photon & Graviton) since they do not have a static duration. But I'm sure it can be used in many other situations such as removing the Prone condition as mentioned above. I also would consider the function as a shortcut rather then having to perform multiple clicks via the CT (3 to 4 clicks from the CT, 1 to 2 clicks from the character sheet).

vaughnlannister
May 22nd, 2020, 09:57
Thanks this is a nice way to give the players some more control and less work for the DM!

secors
May 28th, 2020, 17:37
Many thanks to Trenloe and Nickademus for this very useful extension. As others have pointed out, it served as a great example of how to interact with the FG code infrastructure and taught me a great deal.

Continuing the conversation, I would like to suggest that even though players can remove effects via the combat tracker that is not necessarily optimal. You most likely entered an effect via your actions tab and you should be able to remove it as needed via the same location. While perhaps a minor efficiency gain keeping the REMOVE effect in the actions tab, it is a larger organizational enhancement.

Second, my requirement for this feature came about from a side conversation with Zacchaeus concerning a potential bug with 'once per modifier' timing. The REMOVE feature is (almost) exactly what I needed to overcome that deficiency. While correcting the behavior of the 'once per modifier' timing issue would be the closer to the ideal situation, your extension makes the sequence simple. (FYI, the issue is that while all of the effects are popped from an effect using 'once per modifier' timing as expected, any tag associated with the effect remains behind). (FWIW, the ideal for my current problem would be to allow the Weapon Meta dialog use 'per weapon' instead of on the Weapons group.)

Thirdly, in order to make my preferred sequence work (in light of the deficiency noted), I had to make a minor tweak to the remove_effect_tag.lua script provided in the extension. This might be usable by others but I will ask how best to disseminate since I am VERY new to this platform. Essentially, the REMOVE effect as enhanced does not have to be encoded exactly as the effect is written, one need only supply the tag. (It has a few protection so removing tags like 'a' doesn't remove 'aa' and so on.)

Lastly, the next logical enhancement that I plan to undertake is to make REMOVE work with multiple tags. However, I suspect that this will need to be an effect all its own (e.g., REMOVETAGS: <tag1>, <tag2>, ...) in order to avoid fundamental parsing/pattern matching problems with the original feature. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for the excellent information!

P.S. the use of REMOVE: prone is awesome, too!

Nickademus
May 28th, 2020, 21:44
Extending the logic of this extension can lead to a lot of different things. Since I hijack the AddEffect function when the effect begins with 'REMOVE:', you can do anything afterwards that you want. You can also hijack for other remove tags if you want.

In my personal extension, I added the STACK: (along with a REMOVE: STACK: ) feature so that I could increment and decrement a number in front of an effect. Good for things like the Mirror Image spell.

Glad people are finding this as useful as I do.

MrDDT
November 30th, 2020, 07:19
Anyone using this with FGU?

Wonder if it's updated. I see some of the code used in other ext's but not sure if this was ever updated for FGU.

Jiminimonka
November 30th, 2020, 08:37

Wonder if it's updated. I see some of the code used in other ext's but not sure if this was ever updated for FGU.

Yes it works fine in FGU

mattekure
November 30th, 2020, 16:45

I'm using it in Unity without issue.

DM_BK
December 1st, 2020, 00:30
Nick, can you update your ext to add the stack function in there? I could really use that. Thanks!

Nickademus
December 1st, 2020, 15:06
It was not updated for Unity, but the revised design was made to make it highly adaptable in anticipation for Unity (and other things). I'm glad to hear the design was successful and works fine.

I updated the extension with the code for the STACK: and REMOVE: STACK: functionality. I don't think it will break anything in Unity, but let me know if there is any trouble.

Shwartz
March 23rd, 2021, 08:52
Hello.

I've tried to create an effect and a remove-effect on my hotbar to quickly add remove effects from players. I think it worked fine several years ago. Problem is, I can't make remove effect to work now:
I have to 2lines on my hotbar:

Dodge
Remove: Dodge

When I drag the first one on my player's token (a horse in this example) I can see that the dodge effect applies to him properly and I see the following text in the chat window:

Effect ['Dodge'] -> [to Riding Horse] [by Flint Loderr]

But when I try to drag a remove-effect, I see an error message and the effect doesn't remove:

Effect ['REMOVE:Dodge'] -> [Not found on Riding Horse]

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

bmos
March 23rd, 2021, 13:03
when I try to drag a remove-effect, I see an error message and the effect doesn't removeYou can't drag the effect to the player. It has to be activated from their character sheet.

Ulric
December 19th, 2021, 22:13
With the latest FGU updates this extension is now broken. Is anyone working on fixing this extension?

mattekure
December 19th, 2021, 22:19
With the latest FGU updates this extension is now broken. Is anyone working on fixing this extension?

I just tested it and it works for me. are you getting an error or something? perhaps an extension conflict?

Ulric
December 21st, 2021, 02:05
I just tested it and it works for me. are you getting an error or something? perhaps an extension conflict?

I've been using this extension for a long time with the Starfinder ruleset and the latest FGU update broke the extension for Starfinder. I am getting this error message. [12/20/2021 8:18:48 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/remove_effect_tag.lua"]:10: attempt to call field 'registerLaunchMessage' (a nil value)

mattekure
December 21st, 2021, 02:11
I've been using this extension for a long time with the Starfinder ruleset and the latest FGU update broke the extension for Starfinder. I am getting this error message. [12/20/2021 8:18:48 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/remove_effect_tag.lua"]:10: attempt to call field 'registerLaunchMessage' (a nil value)

you must have an old or modified version. The current version I have is v2.0 The latest version doesnt use 'registerLaunchMessage'. That function was removed with the latest update.

Ulric
December 21st, 2021, 02:51
you must have an old or modified version. The current version I have is v2.0 The latest version doesn't use 'registerLaunchMessage'. That function was removed with the latest update.
Yeah, I tried the new version and it's no longer compatible. If I get time I might try and figure out what needs to be altered to make it work with Starfinder. Thanks for your responses.

Slagmoth
December 23rd, 2021, 00:24
Am I correct in my assessment that this will not remove multiple effects at once or maybe my syntax is not correct?

Example: Elixir of Health in 5E will remove Poisoned, Paralyzed, Blinded, Deafened and Diseased.

So I tried: REMOVE: Poisoned, Diseased, Blinded, Deafened, Paralyzed to no avail.

Several other things do similar things such as Lesser/Greater Restoration and Lay on Hands just to name a couple.

Also, I didn't see this in the Forge is it going to be migrated at some point?

LordEntrails
December 23rd, 2021, 00:56
I haven't used this extension since player effect removal (for effects applied by the player) was incorporated in CoreRPG. But, I think it only removes effects with the exact same name as the Remove tag.

i.e. "REMOVE: Poisoned, Diseased, Blinded, Deafened, Paralyzed" will only remove the effect with the exact name of "Poisoned, Diseased, Blinded, Deafened, Paralyzed" It won't remove something that is just a subset of that string.

Grondular
February 1st, 2022, 19:55
Just what I was looking for. Thank you!

eporrini
March 1st, 2023, 18:48
Is this extension still alive? I am getting errors after the last update. I am confused because I am subscribed to a similar extension on the forge but it may be specific to PF. I am getting this error in 5e. The extension name in the folder is 5e remove effect tag.ext

3/1/2023 1:04:42 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "5E Remove Effect Tag:..pts/power_action.lua"]:49: attempt to index global 'castbutton' (a nil value)
[3/1/2023 1:04:42 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "5E Remove Effect Tag:..pts/power_action.lua"]:49: attempt to index global 'castbutton' (a nil value)
[3/1/2023 1:04:42 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "5E Remove Effect Tag:..pts/power_action.lua"]:49: attempt to index global 'castbutton' (a nil value)

eporrini
March 3rd, 2023, 14:10
I haven't used this extension since player effect removal (for effects applied by the player) was incorporated in CoreRPG. But, I think it only removes effects with the exact same name as the Remove tag.

i.e. "REMOVE: Poisoned, Diseased, Blinded, Deafened, Paralyzed" will only remove the effect with the exact name of "Poisoned, Diseased, Blinded, Deafened, Paralyzed" It won't remove something that is just a subset of that string.

As per this comment, is this really now part of core? Anyone know how that works?

Vaall
September 4th, 2023, 19:48
Hey,

The error indicated by eporrini still exists. Despite this, the extension still works but displays this error message every time a spell/power or other that has a "REMOVE: XXX" effect opens.
Is it possible to update this extension (and add it to the forge) please?

Thanking you,
Sincerely,
Vaal

LordEntrails
September 4th, 2023, 20:04
As per this comment, is this really now part of core? Anyone know how that works?
It actually doesn't need a "remove" effect. See: 5E Combat Tracker - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net) (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996641984/5E+Combat+Tracker)
Specifically:

An icon next to the faction icon allows players to open an effects line showing the effects that they have placed on themselves or on others. Players can remove these effects by clicking twice on the red delete icon at the end of the line. Players cannot interact with effects that they have not placed themselves.

LordEntrails
September 4th, 2023, 20:11

Nick hasn't posted on the forums since December 2020, so it's unlikely this extension will get updated or posted to the Forge. See my post above on steps to use the built in capabilities.

Zacchaeus
September 4th, 2023, 20:23
Hey,

The error indicated by eporrini still exists. Despite this, the extension still works but displays this error message every time a spell/power or other that has a "REMOVE: XXX" effect opens.

Thanking you,
Sincerely,
Vaal

This extension is no longer required really since players can remove effects they have placed on themselves or other PCs or NPCs; and have been able to do so for some time.

Vaall
September 4th, 2023, 21:12
Thanks for your quick responses.

I will point it out to my players to run it that way.

MrDDT
September 5th, 2023, 08:29
This extension is no longer required really since players can remove effects they have placed on themselves or other PCs or NPCs; and have been able to do so for some time.

This is not fully true.

This EXT is still useful in limited cases.

I'm not sure if Vaall uses those cases but there are still there.

Vaall
September 5th, 2023, 17:39
Hey,

I actually have two or three cases where the innate FGU method does not work.

For example :
- Spare the dying: REMOVE: Unconscious.
In this case, the PC cannot remove the Unconsicous effect because they were not the one who originally set it. But these are really unique cases where the GM can do it by hand.

Another advantage I found in this extension was the ease for a player to quickly remove an effect (just with one click for effects whose target is Self) and this in the same way as other effects.

Vaall

LordEntrails
September 5th, 2023, 18:10
Understood. It has its uses, but it hasn't been supported by the dev for over 2 years. Hence why it now throws errors.

There might be other extensions in the Forge that handle things like the edge cases. I don't know. But I do know there are a lot of extensions that enhance the effects capabilities so it seems likely to me that there might be one.