PDA

View Full Version : Update to BRP???

ransolot
September 21st, 2017, 21:43
Hey all,

So I know that the BRP system may not be the most popular, but will we ever get an update to it? It looks like it's one of the oldest systems on FG now. At $28 for the ruleset, you'd think it would be something to keep up to date with. Savage Worlds is much less and is getting updates. Just a gripe and a hope here.

Moon Wizard
September 21st, 2017, 22:43
Ransolot,

Thanks for the note. Currently, there is no developer that has stepped up to update and maintain the BRP ruleset, thus the reason why it has not been updated in some time. We depend on contract developers to build, update and maintain our large selection of DLC. If you know someone who is interested, please send them our way.

Regards,
JPG

henryvoll
August 28th, 2018, 19:08
I have been thinking about changing to a system with official support for FG. Coming from GURPS, I was looking for something generic/universal, and the thoughts fell on this. I was about to purchase too, but I saw a bad review on Steam, and now this post here which is a year old (the one on steam was 4 days old).

The main concern, from what I understand, is that the ruleset was made for FG 2.x, and now seems relatively broken.
Is it right to charge $28 for something that isn't supported and broken?

I don't know who gets the profits for this particular sub-product, but it seems to me there should be a clear warning.
I almost bought it without checking reviews. I read the description, and read through the quick-start guide for BRP, and then I see this.

$28 is not nothing, like the man said. I'd be mighty piffed if I paid money for this and it is broken, and no body is fixing it. And yes, the seller knew.

Just sayin'

ransolot
August 28th, 2018, 20:12
I have been thinking about changing to a system with official support for FG. Coming from GURPS, I was looking for something generic/universal, and the thoughts fell on this. I was about to purchase too, but I saw a bad review on Steam, and now this post here which is a year old (the one on steam was 4 days old).

The main concern, from what I understand, is that the ruleset was made for FG 2.x, and now seems relatively broken.

I don't know who gets the profits for this particular sub-product, but it seems to me there should be a clear warning.
I almost bought it without checking reviews. I read the description, and read through the quick-start guide for BRP, and then I see this.

$28 is not nothing, like the man said. I'd be mighty piffed if I paid money for this and it is broken, and no body is fixing it. And yes, the seller knew.

Just sayin'

If you are looking for a universal system and want good Fantasy Grounds support, Savage Worlds is great. I really wish that FG would updated BRP as it is something I REALLY want to get into. Since 95% of my gaming is done online now using FG, I don't see that happening now. Sad

henryvoll
August 28th, 2018, 21:40
Thanks for the tip, I will look into it.

I have played GURPS since late 80s so I am a great fan of that, and I see the GURPS files are updated as late as this very month (August 18), so I may also just continue with that.
I love GURPS, but it can be pretty daunting for beginners - not that it advanced, because it is fair and easy enough, but there is just so MUCH material. You either have it lock it down a bit, and limit what to use.

still, and again - thanks for the tip.

damned
August 28th, 2018, 23:35
The GURPS ruleset is well maintained.

henryvoll
August 29th, 2018, 01:35
Yes, I noticed. I last looked into Fantasy Grounds, and then Gurps - in 2013.
We had great problems with it then, but I tried it now tonight and it seem to work flawlessly now.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Now I have the tools, so all that is left is writing a good story. :)

Why so long? Well, we met up and used table-top for a long time. Now some of the ol' group is moved away, and well .. FG seems perfect now.

FlightlessScotsman
October 2nd, 2018, 20:41

Just sayin'

As the person that wrote the review (on Steam) that you are referring to, and having spent hundreds of hours running BRP/Magic World (as well as modding the ruleset to handle Magic World more cleanly), I think I'm qualified to say that the ruleset is "use-able" but it's a huge pain in the rear-end. The fixed-size image window is one of the biggest gripes I have with it, and there is always some weird bug in Notes, Encounters, NPCs, etc. where the display of each is corrupted when you first open a tab. Closing it and reopening it corrects it, but it's just one more reminder that it probably shouldn't be for sale in its current slightly broken state. I guess it's Chaosium's responsibility, but it'd be nice if SmiteWorks at least offered a warning to expect bugs or beware that the ruleset is going to have limitations. So, while I still use the FG app to roll dice and use the combat tracker, I usually share maps, notes and images via some other software. All that being said, the roll20 BRP sheet support/implementation is probably worse. Their mapping functionality is superior, but their sheet/rules are more broken (and unmoddable) plus creating encounters, creatures, NPCs, sharing notes, etc. sucks about a 1000% more than the BRP ruleset for FG. In short if you like BRP and do your gaming over the internet there's nothing out there for you that's going to be smooth or all-in-one, but the FG BRP ruleset will probably get you 80% of the way there.

The main intent of my review wasn't to disparage SmiteWorks or Chaosium, but to warn anybody that was thinking about spending all of that money, that you can't expect much support and you should be aware of the limitations of what you're getting for $28. Maybe NuChaosium (reverting back to Greg Stafford/Moon Design a couple of years ago) will mean better support in the near future; there was talk at the BRPCentral forums awhile ago about Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 support for RuneQuest: Glorantha and BRP moving forward, but I haven't kept up with that site much in the past year or so. I'd be nice if they did get something out that can at least be adapated to other flavors of BRP. Time will tell I guess.

ProfDogg
October 12th, 2018, 15:59
I use Savage Worlds for my universal / generic games. SW has full support implementation with all of the bells and whistles. Plus it's ridiculously easy to learn. However I really hope that BRP gets a decent update eventually because there is so much cool material out there in print ready to play for that system.

Laila
April 26th, 2019, 10:15
Ransolot,

Thanks for the note. Currently, there is no developer that has stepped up to update and maintain the BRP ruleset, thus the reason why it has not been updated in some time. We depend on contract developers to build, update and maintain our large selection of DLC. If you know someone who is interested, please send them our way.

Regards,
JPG

Hey there :)
Is this still accurate?
There is no mention of BRP in the "Ruleset Development List", neither as wanted nor in development.
If you are still looking for someone, I might be interested.

damned
April 26th, 2019, 12:54
Welcome Laila

Rulesets (and other DLC) are generally done on commission. There is not a lot of $$ in it. If you are interested you should email [email protected]

Laila
April 26th, 2019, 16:25
Okay, thanks, done :)

Mac77
May 19th, 2019, 21:00
I agree, there should be a clear warning on this ruleset, or more effectively not have it for sale.

yeknom
May 20th, 2019, 12:44
I agree, there should be a clear warning on this ruleset, or more effectively not have it for sale.

I think it shouldn't be for sale. When I purchased it I was still learning Fantasy Grounds and was taken aback by how poorly it worked compared to Pathfinder and 5e. I have never used and think it is not worth having. It doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of Fantasy Grounds and is the only thing that I have purchased that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed so I don't bemoan the money paid for it.

FlightlessScotsman
July 2nd, 2019, 02:52
I'd rather have it than nothing, but it should be deeply discounted IMO.

yeknom
July 3rd, 2019, 07:41
I'd rather have it than nothing, but it should be deeply discounted IMO.

I can see that, I just think that in the current state of the ruleset that MoreCore does it better and with less hassle.

Blackfoot
February 25th, 2020, 21:06
I assume that as of today, there is still nobody working on updating this ruleset or transporting it to CoreRPG.

I'm considering running a Classic RQ2 game and based on my experience with the ruleset from a few years back (ok.. a few like 10) .. It would take a lot of work to really function for that purpose. That said.. I have a lot more skills with which ruleset building than I did at the time.. so I'm probably going to look at it and see what I can do. Anything I do will be geared toward RQ2 which is a limited subset of the BRP users obviously. (the best subset.. but still :) )

Once completed.. modules for all the classic RQ scenarios could probably be created. Since SW has a relationship with Chaosium already established, and they now hold the rights to all that material once more.. who knows. It would be nice to see Apple Lane and Snakepipe Hollow available to run on FG.

Talyn
February 25th, 2020, 23:33
I started to say Dakadin is working on the CoreRPG update but no, he's doing Rolemaster. So yeah, BRP is in maintenance mode and has been for some time. It's a shame no one could persuade Ian ::cough cough:: and damned ::cough cough:: to port their CoC7E work into a functional new BRP ruleset.

damned
February 26th, 2020, 00:56
No one plays BRP... otherwise we might have...

Blackfoot
February 26th, 2020, 01:45
Is there a working CoC Ruleset based on CoreRPG? That's basically the same rules as BRP/RuneQuest .. it would likely be a much easier port than going starting from the current BRP ruleset.

damned
February 26th, 2020, 02:18
Is there a working CoC Ruleset based on CoreRPG? That's basically the same rules as BRP/RuneQuest .. it would likely be a much easier port than going starting from the current BRP ruleset.

For sure. I f we did this it would be built from the Call of Cthulhu code and not the existing ruleset.

Blackfoot
February 26th, 2020, 02:24
I'm not really familiar with the CoC ruleset at all.
While the BRB ruleset is very much out of date, it did have some nice features when it was created.
Does the CoC ruleset have hit locations?
Some of that sort of stuff probably works a bit differently than it does in RQ.. hrm. I guess all that would need to be tweaked anyway.

damned
February 26th, 2020, 02:31
There is a Mythras Character Sheet for MoreCore that is very nearly ready...
No - CoC doesnt have hit locations - but I dont think they are too hard to do.

Blackfoot
February 26th, 2020, 02:38
They didn't really 'work' in the BRP ruleset anyway.. but sorta looked cool.. that was most of the thing with the ruleset in general.. it had a lot of features that weren't linked up like the newer rulesets are.
I don't think they would be too hard to do either.
Mythras is a whole different game than RuneQuest... I mean.. it has some similarities.. but.. so do PF and 3.5 or D&D 4e or 5e.

damned
February 26th, 2020, 02:48
BRP is a game I dont think I own... hmmm...

Blackfoot
February 26th, 2020, 02:54
Is the CoC ruleset an 'Official' one or a community one?

Blackfoot
February 26th, 2020, 03:22
OK.. so a little research clarified that one.
An official ruleset that apparently you (damned) put together... or at least had a hand in putting together. :)
Well.. I have no real interest in CoC and while I could tweak the current BRP ruleset to work for my RQ game.. it seems like working from the CoC ruleset might make more sense.
I don't see a PC character sheet on the CoC teaser page. You might think about adding one to the images there.

I gotta mull this over a bit more I guess.
I wonder how many people are actually interested in BRP or RQ as a ruleset... and if RQ has more draw than BRP these days. The whole dynamic has changed since this ruleset was created.

Blackfoot
March 18th, 2020, 16:15
Been puttering with my RQ CoreRPG Ruleset a fair bit since my last post.
Here's a few things I have now...

Talyn
March 18th, 2020, 16:18
By the way @Blackfoot thanks for your efforts here, and I really hope when you feel RQ is ready that SmiteWorks can get it to be official for ya.

Blackfoot
March 18th, 2020, 16:22
By the way @Blackfoot thanks for your efforts here, and I really hope when you feel RQ is ready that SmiteWorks can get it to be official for ya.
Yeah.. that's not a thing.. it takes a really long time to build a ruleset.

Blackfoot
March 20th, 2020, 19:53
So I'm tracking Weapon Skills as a unique thing separate from Weapons.. since you can buy and sell weapons but you retain the skill.
I'm going to include a 50% value 'Similar Weapons' as well.. trying to figure out what the dynamic is there exactly...

So.. I have a 20% Attack Bonus... and have been using a 'Battle Axe' with 1 hand.. that is a 'One Handed Cutting Weapon'.. the Base for Battle Axe is 20% and I've learned a few things giving me an extra 30% with that Weapon for a total of 70%.
Now.. I pick up a Broadsword... it is also a 'One Handed Cutting Weapon'. Normally I'd start with a total skill of 30% (20% Attack Bonus + 10% Base for Broadsword).. but 50% of my total skill with my best 'One Handed Cutting Weapon' is ..

Well here's the question... is it 1/2 of 70% for a total of 35% or 1/2 of 30% added to 30% for a total of 45%? I think the answer is 30%... and that number might go up and down if you cast a spell or something... but would only go up and down by half of the increase or loss...
OK.. so you cast Bladesharp 4 on your Broadsword. Since you have no actual skill with the Broadsword.. you are still using your Battle Axe skill to determine your chance to hit. Add +20% to your Battle Axe skill and cut it in half.. I believe that should be the correct value.. until such time as the total of your Broadsword skill is better than your Battle Axe skill*50%.. which.. basically should be as soon as you get any sort of skill increase... because you'll be starting at the 50% value.. which is better than your base anyway.. actually.. in this case.. maybe you swing at 50% with the +20% Broadsword.. since your starting value with Broadsword is 30% and the Battle Axe +20% skill would be 90%/2=45%. Since your skill is better than 50% of your best 'One Handed Cutting Weapon' skill.. the Similar Weapon Skill rule wouldn't apply anymore. Yeah.. this stuff isn't complicated.

damned
March 21st, 2020, 00:47
Blackfoot Im pretty sure Smiteworks are still looking for a dev to take over the BR ruleset

Blackfoot
March 24th, 2020, 04:14
I got weapon attack rolls working correctly, still need to bring the damage bonus in to actual damage rolls but it is calculating it correctly.
Working on hit locations and armor functionality.
The Hit Points calculate correctly but don't handle location damage yet.. and location armor is only just beginning.

i3ullseye
April 7th, 2020, 18:49
Chaosium just did a recent push of the BRP system. Including reiterating their OGL for it, and pushing their SRD, so there is some renewed focus on this generic system. Maybe that new SRD is a better reference to consider a ruleset conversion, but yeah... it would be 80% Call of Cthulhu.

Blackfoot
April 8th, 2020, 04:35
The state of things in the world right now has helped move this thing along quite a bit.
Trying to sort out resistance rolls currently.. what a mess.

Hit locations for PCs and NPCs are all done... although I need a good way to deal with applying damage to them.
I am currently rolling the location automatically on a hit (like the way PF/3.5 handles Crits)...
But.. in RQ.. you can adjust that number rolled by the number of strike ranks you delayed... so there's some flex in there.. automatically applying damage to the 'rolled' location won't work quite right.
I need some hands on logic.

superteddy57
April 8th, 2020, 16:31
Thanks for your efforts Blackfoot. Looks great from what I can see. Can you start your own post about your project? That way discussion can be focused on that there and not lost in this post.

Mac77
February 18th, 2022, 22:56
Hello anyone , I am trying to figure out how armor works in the BRP ruleset during combat .The armor does not automatically protect the wearer when they are hit it seems, do you know how armor works in BRP? I see on the inventory tab on the character sheet there is armor listed below the total weight carried, but I am not sure how to add armor to a character. Thanks.

peterb
February 19th, 2022, 05:26
Hello,

The armour points (AP) of a given piece of armour is never automatically deducted from incoming damage. That has to be done manually. So targeting doesn't make much sense in the BRP ruleset.

Also, if you don't enable the "use hit-locations" option, then there's no space allocated for storing armour information. You have to use the "Notes" text box on the "Notes" tab to keep track of armour data. If you do enable hit-locations, then you'll get an "Armor" tab where you can note what type of armour covers what hit-locations.

/Peter

Mac77
February 19th, 2022, 05:35
Hi do you know how the BRP system for armor works? It seems when a character takes damage there are no armor points that subtract from that damage. Wondering how that works. Cheers.

Mac77
February 19th, 2022, 06:03
Thank you Peter, much appreciated, cheers.

superteddy57
February 19th, 2022, 08:10
Also, to add, understand this is the oldest ruleset in the catalog. Many of the features of the ruleset will require more of a hands on approach than other more recent rulesets.

Stollesson
February 23rd, 2022, 20:47
Hello,

The armour points (AP) of a given piece of armour is never automatically deducted from incoming damage. That has to be done manually. So targeting doesn't make much sense in the BRP ruleset.

Also, if you don't enable the "use hit-locations" option, then there's no space allocated for storing armour information. You have to use the "Notes" text box on the "Notes" tab to keep track of armour data. If you do enable hit-locations, then you'll get an "Armor" tab where you can note what type of armour covers what hit-locations.

/Peter

I must say that you a wrong there Peter.
When you use hit-locations and use targeting the armor is used in calculating damage.

When you roll your damage the program automatically do a location roll to see where you hit and use the right AP value.

peterb
February 24th, 2022, 09:03
I must say that you a wrong there Peter.
When you use hit-locations and use targeting the armor is used in calculating damage.

When you roll your damage the program automatically do a location roll to see where you hit and use the right AP value.

Hmm, you are right. I haven't been using targeting in a long while, because I find it of very little practical use. I actually haven't seen this feature before.

I tested it and while it's a nice feature, it's still of little use, since you have consider the defenders action and take its effect in consideration before applying damage. The feature only makes sense if the defender fails his defensive action. And as Mac77 points out, the damage is not applied to the target.

/Peter