PDA

View Full Version : Magic Resistance Support

Mavrik6666
September 21st, 2017, 20:37
How does this work in 3.3.2 ?

Zacchaeus
September 21st, 2017, 20:59
Some creatures get advantage to saving throws vs magic. So if the PCs cast a spell which allows a saving throw at the creature it will roll with advantage.

Mavrik6666
September 21st, 2017, 22:40
ah... but no way to put that on a character who has an item that give magic resistance ?

Moon Wizard
September 21st, 2017, 22:44
There is. Just add a "Magic Resistance" effect to the PC in the combat tracker, and it will work for them as well.

Regards,
JPG

Nodal
October 11th, 2017, 23:10
How exactly do you get this to work? I see Note: Magic Resistance on some enemies, but it doesn't seem to make them roll at advantage. Same with PCs.

Edit: I'm watching a video of this now, and some enemies seem to just have the effect Magic Resistance; However this doesnt seem to make any difference when throwing out spells from the PHB Deluxe added to a PC

Moon Wizard
October 12th, 2017, 00:16
You shouldn't see "Note: Magic Resistance" as an effect added to NPCs in the most recent version. If you are, go to your FG data folder under rulesets, and make sure that you don't have any folders there. Those are probably older versions of the ruleset, which will override the latest version since they are in folders.

The Magic Resistance trigger is based on whether a saving throw is generated by a PC spell (from PC actions tab), NPC spell (from NPC Spells/Innate Spells sections) or an NPC ability which states it is magic (from other NPC sections).

Regards,
JPG

mdrichey
February 5th, 2019, 07:45
There is. Just add a "Magic Resistance" effect to the PC in the combat tracker, and it will work for them as well.

Regards,
JPG

Can this be added to the 5E Effects page on the wiki?

Zacchaeus
February 5th, 2019, 10:55
Can this be added to the 5E Effects page on the wiki?

Done

scannon
March 9th, 2019, 19:11
I have a character with the Magic Resistance effect. However, it doesn't always work. If another PC casts fireball for example, then the magic resistance doesn't give advantage on the saving throw automatically. If the PC is targeted by Blindness/Deafness then it does. Why is it inconsistent?

Edit: I have identified the issue but I don't know how to fix it. I use Rob Twohy (rob2e)'s Effects Coding that you can import into the game. When I use "fireball" cast by the effects coding he gives it doens't give advantage. If I use the cast feature by the spell from the book, then it does give advantage. Rob Twohy (rob2e)'s Effects include additional precoded features for many spells, including concentration effects and other things that aren't included in the base FG package, so I'd like to continue to use them. Is there a way to modify this to make it trigger as a spell?

rob2e
March 9th, 2019, 20:33
I have a character with the Magic Resistance effect. However, it doesn't always work. If another PC casts fireball for example, then the magic resistance doesn't give advantage on the saving throw automatically. If the PC is targeted by Blindness/Deafness then it does. Why is it inconsistent?

Edit: I have identified the issue but I don't know how to fix it. I use Rob Twohy (rob2e)'s Effects Coding that you can import into the game. When I use "fireball" cast by the effects coding he gives it doens't give advantage. If I use the cast feature by the spell from the book, then it does give advantage. Rob Twohy (rob2e)'s Effects include additional precoded features for many spells, including concentration effects and other things that aren't included in the base FG package, so I'd like to continue to use them. Is there a way to modify this to make it trigger as a spell?

I thoght I fixed that, can you redownload the LATEST version of your DMs Guild files and see if you're still having the problem? Also, feel free to contact me directly about this (at my discord link in signatture here).

mattekure
March 9th, 2019, 20:36
You may have an older version that needs updated. Check in the Cast line, open the little magnifying glass symbol to the right and check that the "Magic?" is checked.

rob2e
March 9th, 2019, 20:37
You may have an older version that needs updated. Check in the Cast line, open the little magnifying glass symbol to the right and check that the "Magic?" is checked.

If you find ones that AREN'T let me know I'll fix that shiznit pronto!