PDA

View Full Version : Test Connection Failure Over Wifi

JSCram3254
September 21st, 2017, 02:39
I just downloaded the demo of Fantasy Grounds and tried to connect, but I keep getting a failure when I test the connection. I use a wifi router provided by Comcast for my connection and otherwise have no internet issues. Any tips on how I might get hooked up?

midas
September 21st, 2017, 02:55
First, understand that the Test Connection is only needed if you're going to host a game, not play in one. That test is made by the Smiteworks server to see if it can connect to you on the Fantasy Grounds port (port 1802 by default).

In order to get this to work you will need to log into your Comcast gateway and forward inbound trraffic on port 1802 to your computer's IP address. You can find an example of this configuration here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/port-forwarding-xfinity-wireless-gateway/. Note that the steps may be different depending on your gateway. If you're having issues getting this set up you can post back here with the model of your gateway and we may be able to give you more specific instruction.

A few other things to note:

- As said above, none of this is necessary if you're a player. Port forwarding is only done by the GM.
- The IP address your gateway hands out to your machine can change, so if it works for awhile and suddenly stops, then the first thing to do is see what IP address your computer has and update the rules on the Comcast gateway to forward port 1802 to that new IP address. There are ways to statically assign or reserve the same IP all the time, which we can direct you to if necessary.
- It is not recommended to host Fantasy Grounds games on a wifi connection. While possible, many users have reported poor performance loading data out to the connected users. It's recommended to be wired into the router if at all possible.
- If you bounce back and forth between wired and wireless you'll need to keep changing the port forwarding rule, as your wired network port will get a different IP address than your wireless (since they're two different network adapters, and as such are treated as two different devices by your gateway).

JSCram3254
September 21st, 2017, 03:14
Thanks for the tips! I'll only be playing for the time being and not hosting. Does the fact that I keep getting a failure on the test matter for that?

midas
September 21st, 2017, 03:15
Nope. If you're only playing then nobody will be connecting to you. Only GMs need to worry about incoming connections.

JSCram3254
September 21st, 2017, 03:16
Then I'm going to stop worrying about this for right now! Thanks!

LordEntrails
September 21st, 2017, 05:13
And welcome to the Community!

>>Looks at Midas*G*

midas
September 23rd, 2017, 03:51
I fail at greeting. ><

LordEntrails
September 23rd, 2017, 03:56
I fail at greeting. ><
:)
Nylanfs would get cranky with me if I didn't tease you since I teased him for the same thing a year ago or so and he won't let me forget it!