PDA

View Full Version : Using [PRF], [LVL] and [ABILITY] modifiers in effects

Gwydion
September 20th, 2017, 16:25
FYI on using [PRF], [LVL], [ABILITY] (e.g. CHA, WIS, etc) modifiers in effects. I noticed that you CAN use these for an effect that is on your actions tab and it will work. However, if you apply it to a character in the CT (combat tracker) from an effect you built in the "effects" tab, it will NOT. I don't think this is new to 3.3.2, I've just been working with effects a lot with the conversion I am working on.

Take Aura of Protection as an example. You can code this effect as: SAVE: [CHA]. This will work if you put it on the action tab as an effect and apply it to a character in the CT, but not if you add it as an effect in the effects tab (the "zombie icon" link in fantasy grounds near the top right of your FG screen).

When you code the effect on your actions tab and apply it to yourself or another character in the CT, it actually converts the bracket to a number so when you apply it from your character if I had a +2 charisma, as soon as I click on the effect in the action tab you will see the effect in the CT as SAVE: 2. But again, if you do it from the effect tab it will show as SAVE: [PRF] on the CT and won't work. This makes sense to me as I suspect that when you apply the effect from the "effect tab" it has no character to "lookup" and determine the Charisma modifier.

This is explained in the wiki I believe, I just didn't really understand until I started working more with effects.

Trenloe
September 20th, 2017, 16:30
Yep, it's explained in the Wiki: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#PC_Specific_Notes

Gwydion
September 20th, 2017, 16:37
Yep. Definitely my issue and not the wiki's! I really try to review all the documentation in detail and I just didn't focus on the notes section, so this one escaped me for a while. Definitely read the wikis everyone! Just thought I would highlight it in case it helps other. Thanks, Trenloe for posting the link to the specific section of the wiki for everyone.