PDA

View Full Version : New Concentration Roll Feature

jojogladco
September 20th, 2017, 05:26
For the 3.3.2 update is there some setting to turn on the automated concentration rolls for NPCs? I've tried creatures from the MM, Volo's and ToB with 0 success. For players the feature works exactly as expected just by adding effects and damaging them but I'm having no luck with NPCs.

Steps used.

1. Add NPC to Combat Tracker
2. Add PC to CT
3. Have NPC target itself
4. Apply effect with Concentration from NPCs list of abilities displayed under the sword icon in the CT to NPC
5. Target, attack and damage NPC with PC

Result: Damage is applied but no Concentration roll is made.

I've tried variations such as adding PC's 1st in the CT. Dragging effects and damage instead of targeting and clicking to apply and get the same result.

kylania
September 20th, 2017, 06:25
It's working for me, both with dragged and written effects.

Make sure that it's the NPCs turn when you apply, otherwise it'll be applied from the current player which will break this effect thing.

jojogladco
September 20th, 2017, 13:35
It's working for me, both with dragged and written effects.

Make sure that it's the NPCs turn when you apply, otherwise it'll be applied from the current player which will break this effect thing.

Got it. So I'm going to need to turn "skip hidden actor" off or manually move the turn indicator to the NPC. Otherwise when I go to do things like have an Acolyte in the next room cast bless in reaction to hearing my players battling loudly or having the Wizard in that next room start out using greater invisibility, the effect isn't going to append properly. Thanks for helping clear that up!

Brynnan
September 22nd, 2017, 18:30
Does, or how, does this new feature support Advantage or Disadvantage or bonuses like for Bladesong in doing the Concentration check. It's not just a Constitution check. On my characters, I make a psudo-skill called Concentration and set modifiers or effects to do this. But how is the new feature going to handle it? Or is it?

Trenloe
September 22nd, 2017, 18:40
Got it. So I'm going to need to turn "skip hidden actor" off or manually move the turn indicator to the NPC. Otherwise when I go to do things like have an Acolyte in the next room cast bless in reaction to hearing my players battling loudly or having the Wizard in that next room start out using greater invisibility, the effect isn't going to append properly. Thanks for helping clear that up!
You can use standard FG targeting to apply a concentration effect with the correct source. Don't use drag/drop - have the source target the recipient and then apply the effect from the source. This is currently being discussed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40272-3-3-2-5E-Concentration-checks-not-rolling-for-NPCs&p=355877&viewfull=1#post355877

Moon Wizard
September 22nd, 2017, 18:48
If a PC has the War Caster feat, then the concentration check will automatically be performed with Advantage.

If you add an effect for "SAVE: # concentration", you can add specific concentration-only roll modification effects.

Regards,
JPG

MagpieManny
October 2nd, 2017, 17:21
So how do you actually add a bonus to concentration saves like with bladesong?

Zacchaeus
October 2nd, 2017, 17:55
So how do you actually add a bonus to concentration saves like with bladesong?

See Moon Wizard's post directly above yours.

Caelen
October 2nd, 2017, 19:52
My guess for bladesong would be to add a power with an effect that looks like this

AC: [INT]; ADVCHK: acrobatics; SAVE: [INT] concentration

and set it to target yourself and last for 1 minute. I don't think there's an effect to alter your base speed.
All that said, I'm still new to FG, so I might be missing something or I might have syntax wrong. The 5e Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects) page on the wiki is extremely lacking in explaining syntax for things. That or I'm overlooking the obvious. (edit: I was overlooking something, all the syntax is there it just wasn't in the order I expected!)

Zacchaeus
October 2nd, 2017, 23:45
You are correct, there's no effect which can alter base speed.

The syntax is explained in the wiki article you pointed to in this section.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#A_Word_on_Syntax

Caelen
October 3rd, 2017, 01:04
That section doesn't explain how to use individual modifiers. I managed to find what I was looking for tucked away under Modifiers (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers) as the first bullet point though. "Format: [tag]: [dice/number] [descriptors]" Maybe that part should be included with the rest of the syntax?