PDA

View Full Version : Animated GIFs?

HeavilyMental
February 14th, 2006, 15:12
This might already be covered somewhere, but is it possible to use animated GIFs? You could get a lot of nice effects in many different aspects.

gurney9999
February 14th, 2006, 15:44
I hadn't thought of this... and consider I use animated .gifs in forum signatures you'd think I would have. :D I don't know if .gifs are supported and I'm not at home, so someone else will have to respond (I think the answer is no for animated .gifs), but again this is a cool idea that could again push the boundries for those creative types out there.

The Velvet Souljah
February 14th, 2006, 16:04
This might already be covered somewhere, but is it possible to use animated GIFs? You could get a lot of nice effects in many different aspects.

Just out of interest, what kinds of effects are you thinking about? :D

HeavilyMental
February 14th, 2006, 16:11
Just out of interest, what kinds of effects are you thinking about? :D

Tokens for spell effects for one...since you can control timing and looping on animated gifs. For instance...a plasma or electrical sphere, campfires, torches, lamps, lanterns, etc. Animated character tokens for another, if possible, showing the character swishing a sword or whatever. I do 3D graphics and animation and digital special FX, so it would be up my alley.

I'm sure others can come up with many more. I was modifying my chatbox image and thought of this.

Re's,
Heavily M.

NOTE: I tried importing some animated .gifs just to see if they'd work....no luck. Might not be supported...yet. :) GIFs are supported though.

gurney9999
February 14th, 2006, 16:37
NOTE: I tried importing some animated .gifs just to see if they'd work....no luck. Might not be supported...yet. :) GIFs are supported though.Thought that was the case... possibly a feature that could be implemented, oh devs ??

Phalck
February 19th, 2006, 16:27
Oooh I love the idea of animated gif's for tokens. Regarding timing of the gif's to stop or start their animation: I belive that we are out of luck without a custom picture format or "god forbid" flash images. The easiest way would be to just drop an explosion token on the map and then pick it up after it have cycled a few times. I know you can program an animated gif to not loop, meaning play only once, which could be helpful in some instances, for example breaking furniture etc.