PDA

View Full Version : Spell Library Search Filter for All Fields (Extension) for 5E

Minty23185Fresh
September 14th, 2017, 17:45
This extension is obsolete.
Please use this extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40954-Field-Filters-for-All-Libraries) instead.

Announcing an update to the release of an extension that adds search filters for all spell editor fields.

Update released on October 31, 2017 (version v0.1.0).
which has been tested for compatibility with Fantasy Grounds v3.3.3 (on Oct 31, 2017).

The standard search filters for the Spell Library included in the 5E ruleset are for the Level, Ritual and Source fields. This extension adds search filters for the additional fields Casting Time, Components, Duration, Range, and School. (The Summary and Description fields aren't supported.)

As I develop and add new spells to the Spell Library I find myself constantly searching through the Player Handbook spells for textual descriptions of these other fields so that my text in the field is consistent with Fantasy Grounds text. For example: which of the following should I use in the Casting Time field: "1 Action", "1 action", "One Action", or "One action"? This tiny, quick-and-dirty extension allows me to use the search filter drop down to see all the current values Fantasy Grounds uses for a particular field.

Would you use it during game play, probably not. In the development of a new character, maybe so: show me all Evocation spells (use the School field)! And as a DM you might find it handy in the development of new spells.

Here is a screenshot of the Spell Editor (showing the fields) and the Spell Library Editor (showing the added search filters).

Install the extension as you would any other (instructions (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Files_Overview#Extensions)).
Load a 5E campaign and choose the Spell Library Search Filter for All Fields Extension.

Comments, problems or complaints? Please direct them to me.

Minty23185Fresh
September 14th, 2017, 18:38
While writing this up, it dawned on me, that a search function for the Description field is a must, at least for me. When I was developing EoSSE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39918-Enhanced-Effect-Handling-on-a-Successful-Spell-Saving-Throw-Extension-(EoSSE)-for-5E) I had to look at every single spell description for "half damage". It was tedious - fortunately I scanned my paper copy of the PHB to pdf, so it was searchable, but still! A search filter for that field would be nice. I'll work on it...

Gwydion
September 14th, 2017, 20:55
Yes!! Can't wait to try this. Thanks!

Minty23185Fresh
September 21st, 2017, 01:09
On September 19, 2017 Fantasy Grounds v 3.3.2 was released.
On September 20, 2017 I verified that this extension is compatible with that version. I also did a code compare as Trenloe suggests to ensure compatibility.

Gwydion
September 21st, 2017, 13:00
Thanks for checking your extension so quickly!

Minty23185Fresh
October 4th, 2017, 16:47
Oct 03, 2017 - Fantasy Grounds v 3.3.3 released
Oct 04, 2017 - Verified that this extension is compatible with the new FG release. Also performed code comparisons.

Gwydion
October 4th, 2017, 18:59
Oct 03, 2017 - Fantasy Grounds v 3.3.3 released
Oct 04, 2017 - Verified that this extension is compatible with the new FG release. Also performed code comparisons.

And again.... Nice!

Slalom
October 27th, 2017, 20:05
Thank you! Great work. I love it!!!

Minty23185Fresh
October 27th, 2017, 23:53
Thanks. I'm glad you like it.
I'm working on adding the "search description field" filter now. If things go well, I should have it ready soon.

Afterward I'd like to expand the functionality to some of the other library editors.

Minty23185Fresh
October 30th, 2017, 16:40
I'd like to expand this to some of the other editors, are there any suggestions for which one (or ones) you might like to see supported? The NPC editor is pretty daunting (so many fields), though it's probably a good candidate.

Minty23185Fresh
November 1st, 2017, 01:19
I have just released a new version (v0.1.0) of the Spell Library Search Filters (extension for 5E). You can now search the Description field for the "literal" text of your choice (not case sensitive). The new version is available on post #1 of this thread as well as a new graphic showing the new field in action. If there are problems or comments please let me know.

Additionally, if you have suggestions I'd be pleased to entertain them. My son suggested "inverse" or "not" capability: e.g. NOT v in the Components field would list all spells that don't have a voice component.

(Next up: I am working on adding additional filtering for all the libraries type (e,g, Notes, Quests, Parcels, Skills, etc.)

Minty23185Fresh
November 6th, 2017, 03:20
Hello all (of you subscribed to this thread),
I have upgraded and replaced this extension (SLAFS) with a newer more diverse model. And you can find it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40954-Field-Filters-for-All-Libraries).
Please don't use both at the same time.
Thanks.

grisix
August 3rd, 2018, 09:29
<oops wrong thread>