PDA

View Full Version : Trouble importing 4e DND character from DDI

hullhawk
September 12th, 2017, 21:13
It errors out saying that Armor of sacrafice... something about the key was not preesnt in the dictionary?

Moon Wizard
September 12th, 2017, 21:28
Can you post the DDI character file you are trying to import?

Thanks,
JPG

hullhawk
September 12th, 2017, 21:47
I dont see an option to attach file...

Moon Wizard
September 12th, 2017, 21:57
On my phone, so going from memory. I think you click Go Advanced when replying, and there is a Manage Attachments button in the details below response.

Regards,
JPG

hullhawk
September 12th, 2017, 22:09
I looked no option to attach file.

Trenloe
September 12th, 2017, 22:13
The "Manage Attachment" button mentioned by Moon Wizard is quite far down the page opened when you click the "Go Advanced" button - below the reply window.

Or, you can click the following (after clicking "Go Advanced"):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20445

Moon Wizard
September 13th, 2017, 01:41
Or, if you're still having problems attaching the file, then you can send an email to [email protected] with the file attached.

Regards,
JPG

Llyle
September 13th, 2017, 14:20
It errors out saying that Armor of sacrafice... something about the key was not preesnt in the dictionary?

I have the same problem everytime. Here's how I solved it and it has worked for me ever since:

When you open the FG Char Converter, there's a field saying 'Output Options' with five lines that you can check or uncheck.

Use local xslt for file conversion (if available).
Use modules from module manager to lookup data.
Add class features as powers
Add feats as powers
Add item properties as powers

Usually (with me) only the second line is checked by default. UNCHECK THAT. Then it should work. WHat I usually do is check the first, NOT the second, but the third, fourth and fifth, as powers are easily and quickly deleted if you don't need them (two clicks = 2 seconds), but adding them in is a bit more work (about 30 seconds if you know what you're doing)

Anyway, hope that helps. Just remember to always uncheck that option when you convert a character, the FG converter doesn't seem to save your settings.

hullhawk
September 13th, 2017, 14:24
Or, if you're still having problems attaching the file, then you can send an email to [email protected] with the file attached.

Regards,
JPG

I have the same problem everytime. Here's how I solved it and it has worked for me ever since:

When you open the FG Char Converter, there's a field saying 'Output Options' with five lines that you can check or uncheck.

Use local xslt for file conversion (if available).
Use modules from module manager to lookup data.
Add class features as powers
Add feats as powers
Add item properties as powers

Usually (with me) only the second line is checked by default. UNCHECK THAT. Then it should work. WHat I usually do is check the first, NOT the second, but the third, fourth and fifth, as powers are easily and quickly deleted if you don't need them (two clicks = 2 seconds), but adding them in is a bit more work (about 30 seconds if you know what you're doing)

Anyway, hope that helps. Just remember to always uncheck that option when you convert a character, the FG converter doesn't seem to save your settings.
Yes i figured that out. I have to edit the character sheets quite a bit to get them to work . but it doesn't take too long.

Optimus21
December 13th, 2017, 05:09
Hello,

I do the work around as suggested (turning off modules from the module manager to lookup data) and it imports the characters....sort of (I get an error seen below if I leave it on). Powers are there for example, but blank. Items are there, but have no attributes. Etc. I thought maybe I could use my own modules using 'Manage Modules', but there isn't a selection for 4E. Anyone solve this? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

When I leave turning off modules from the module manager to lookup data turned on:
----Conversion Results----
Could not convert Dagmara: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(T Key key)
at CharacterConverter.CharConverter.SearchModules(Xml Node characterNode)
at CharacterConverter.CharConverter.ConvertButton_Cli ck(Object sender, EventArgs e)
--------------------------------------------------------------

Llyle
December 13th, 2017, 11:33
Hello,

I do the work around as suggested (turning off modules from the module manager to lookup data) and it imports the characters....sort of (I get an error seen below if I leave it on). Powers are there for example, but blank. Items are there, but have no attributes. Etc. I thought maybe I could use my own modules using 'Manage Modules', but there isn't a selection for 4E. Anyone solve this? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

When I leave turning off modules from the module manager to lookup data turned on:
----Conversion Results----
Could not convert Dagmara: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(T Key key)
at CharacterConverter.CharConverter.SearchModules(Xml Node characterNode)
at CharacterConverter.CharConverter.ConvertButton_Cli ck(Object sender, EventArgs e)
--------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't found a way to convert and import a character into FG so that it's just perfect. As you say, there is always a lot to be 'fixed', but the conversion and import gives you a good start. What you can do if you have the 4e data as modules (parsed from the DDI online compendium) is you can load that data and drag+drop powers, feats etc into your character and they're there then.
Skills still need a lot of fiddling and with me the combat tab with weapons and implements needs complete overhaul, but it can be done.

BTW, good to hear someone else is into 4e :D

Optimus21
December 14th, 2017, 04:52
Thank you for the reply! It seems weird, when I watch old Matt Colville Tutorials on it, things import way better. It seems functionality should get better, not worse.Just thought I must be doing something wrong.

And yes, I have always liked 4E (shameful, I know). My group is doing 4.5E with some fixes though.

Llyle
December 14th, 2017, 12:25
Loving 4e is (to me) nothing to be ashamed of. :) Yeah I watched the same tutorials half a year ago when I started with FG, I always figured I had my modules sorted differently, by content, not source... maybe that's why it can't find stuff.