PDA

View Full Version : New User Introduction

savagegm
September 11th, 2017, 13:00
I thought since I had rudely introduced my self with a question I would give myself a proper introduction.

I began roleplaying in 1984 and quickly realized that I would much rather GM than be a player so I started to GM for my friends.
Since we liked Superheroes and I wanted a generic system we began to use Hero System. I was a HUGE Hero System fan. Then came Deadlands. I still remember picking up
Deadlands (the original) and getting the Players Guide because that was all the local brick store could get. We got involved in a long running Deadlands campaign (I actually played) and when I heard Savage Worlds was coming out I grabbed. I fell in love instantly.

However, around 2005 I changed my philosophy on life. This required me to limit my gaming. Soon after this philosophy change I got married (the philosophy change had nothing to do with the marriage) and this also limited my playing time till I pretty much stopped in 2006. Though I stopped, I never lost my love for creating adventures and running a good campaign.

Now, here it is 2017. My philosophy hasn't changed, but I think I can game a little within that philosophy. Since there is no local group anymore I have turned to VTT. I am currently working on a Savage Battlestar Galactica one shot, a Weird Romes oneshot, and hopefully a Savage Colonial America one shot. I would like to have them ready by the next FG XI, but they probably won't be since I am having to learn FG.

I have downloaded most of the SW extensions, a couple of DOE extensions. I have viewed video after video.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mortar
September 11th, 2017, 17:44
Welcome to the craziness!

Sammage
September 11th, 2017, 22:50
Welcome. I just got started here myself after a multi-year break from RPing.

Skellan
September 11th, 2017, 22:56
Welcome
SW is a fantastic ruleset. Just let me know if I can help with anything. The folks on the fantasy grounds discord channel are always helpful too

savagegm
September 13th, 2017, 22:28
thanks for the replies. Getting my feet wet and working on my first adventure.

Talyn
September 14th, 2017, 00:40
Welcome aboard! I just rejoined the hobby about a year and a half ago since I learned the local shop has Pathfinder Society. I had to learn "wtf is Pathfinder?" then "wtf is Pathfinder Society?" then I discovered Fantasy Grounds. We're a good bunch here, very friendly and accommodating. Lot of good discussions on the Discord too, by all means, join us there and say hi!

Mortar
September 14th, 2017, 01:21
Well we're a good bunch other than that Talyn fella...

Talyn
September 14th, 2017, 01:55
Hmph! :p

Topdecker
September 14th, 2017, 16:25
My advice would be to not run a con one-shot until you are comfortable with FG. Also, you can run the one-shot with the looking for group calendar tool - there is a section just for one-shots and this would allow you to refine the adventure that you craft while gaining FG experience.

I have a pair of one-shots that in various stages of completion and plan on using the calendar tool to get in at least one test run for each. I am not too worried about the content, but I am wanting to run it live so I have a better handle on the time it takes to play out.

savagegm
September 17th, 2017, 00:28
thanks for the advice

GunnarGreybeard
September 17th, 2017, 08:36
hopefully a Savage Colonial America one shot.
That one sounds kind of interesting.

savagegm
September 17th, 2017, 14:28
That one sounds kind of interesting.

I have always thought that the Colonial America time period is an interesting period that deserves greater attention than it gets. The resources are there to make an adventure, it is just difficult to gather them all.