PDA

View Full Version : semi-quick question on copyright issues

mrannah
February 12th, 2006, 19:11
I'm sorry if this question is dealing with stuff that's been addressed already, but I do have a quick question about copyright and such. Distribution of any copyrighted materials in any means for profit or that would compromise the potential market for the copyright holder, i do understand.

However, to my understanding, using a copyrighted material in a gaming context for a gaming session....(i.e. character's names, maps, illustrations, illustrations from sources other than the specific adventures, etc) for the purposes of a role playing campaign/gaming session, specifically one in which no monetary transaction occurs (No one pays to be a player), and one in which no further inappropriate sharing of the copyrighted materials occurs (The materials are used as game aids and nothing else, those viewing the pictures/maps/etc do not take them and further use them, themselves) even if used in an internet environment such as Fantasy Grounds is in keeping with the original intent of the module and not a violation of the copyright.

Or am I amiss in this understanding?

don't want to get myself in any trouble, you understand.

richvalle
February 12th, 2006, 19:36
If I read that right... you are right.

You can put copyrighted material into FG as long as you own the material and plan on using it for yourself (and your players) and you don't share it with others.

rv

kalmarjan
February 12th, 2006, 19:52
You are correct. As long as you do not post the ruleset for others on the internet, you are okay.

Think of your ruleset like a book. You are allowed to use it at the gaming table; othrewise it would be hard to find gamers with all the books that you have. OTOH, photocopying the whole book for ALL players of D&D and distributing them out is not acceptable.

So short answer... put the stuff in your ruleset as you like.

Cheers, and good luck,

Sandeman