PDA

View Full Version : One player sees different desktop from everyone else

caledoniaman
September 8th, 2017, 19:51
I've been running a campaign for 15 months now using Fantasy Grounds. Up until two sessions ago, everything was perfect. All of a sudden though, one of my players connects to the game and he sees a different FG desktop and skin.

Everyone else sees the 5e skin and can access all the maps, tokens etc as normal. This one user however sees the basic Smiteworks leather desktop and icons, can't see the maps or move his token and can only see the combat tracker. As a result he has to play theater of the mind.

He's running on a Mac but that doesn't seem to have caused him problems up until now. He's uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times to no avail. Nothing has changed at my end (I'm the DM hosting the game).

Any pointers would be helpful because we rolled a Nat 20 on investigation and we still can't figure it out.

Talyn
September 8th, 2017, 19:56
Someone with more Mac experience might have a different suggestion, but off the top of my head I'd say have him nuke his cache (from the FG launcher) then reconnect to your server. If possible, setup your server just for him so you don't have all the other players using up your bandwidth. That way your server will re-upload everything you've shared plus whatever extensions you have running on your end.

caledoniaman
September 8th, 2017, 20:00
OK. Just to be clear though, this player has connected for over a year without issue.

Talyn
September 8th, 2017, 20:02
Right, and I really don't have any explanation unless either something was corrupted on his end somehow, or something in the new Mac update corrupted something. Purely a guess on my part by nuking his cache (and he'll lose any Notes if he's made any -- not sure if he can connect to you and share them, if that will save on your end or not?) but that will forcibly wipe everything and your server will have to re-upload all your shared data.

Moon Wizard
September 8th, 2017, 20:08
All data for a campaign is stored on the GM machine (including player notes). So, nuking the cache (using the nuke button on the launcher Join Game screen) is the best way to force the player client to re-download all campaign, ruleset and module data from the GM machine.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
September 8th, 2017, 20:25
The only other thing that could be causing problems (that I can think of) is if you have over time shared a lot of stuff and he is on a 32-bit O/S where your other players are on a 64-bit O/S. Even though FG is 32-bit, it's large memory aware and so will be able to use more ram on a 64-bit o/s than a 32-bit one. If this is the case, you can go through and unshare stuff that's no longer relevant and then he can nuke his cache etc.

But, as Talyn and Moon suggest, just have him clear his cache and connect to you again first. That will probably resolve things before you need to worry about process size limits.

Nickademus
September 8th, 2017, 20:40
Right, and I really don't have any explanation unless either something was corrupted on his end somehow, or something in the new Mac update corrupted something. Purely a guess on my part by nuking his cache (and he'll lose any Notes if he's made any -- not sure if he can connect to you and share them, if that will save on your end or not?) but that will forcibly wipe everything and your server will have to re-upload all your shared data.

Nuking your cache causes a lose of die color, hotbar slots, and window positions.