PDA

View Full Version : Qution about Reference Manuals in relation to Tomb of Annihilation.

belisknar
September 8th, 2017, 08:17
Hi all,

I've been using FG for the better part of a year now and I must say, for the most part it has been a great experience. I'm almost completely blind so I use FG to purchase the digital version of the D&D 5e Books and from my laptop I run 2 weekly games (in person not over the client). There are a few hicups With some purchases so I've been hesitant to increase the amount of material I have.

The main issue I have comes when it comes to reading text from the client. In 'most' cases the text of a particular entry can be unlocked and highlighted... This is the key point of interaction between my screen reader and the text in FG.
There are however a number of entries that either don't allow you to unlock them (read only) such as some items or monster entries. These can be accessed with a little effort by duplicating the read only version (as simple as dragging the icon into the 'New' tab of it's associated Menu.
The other place that can't be highlighted is information in the Reference Manual sections such as most of the readable material in the DMG. This is because it neither has a lock nor can it be duplicated to create a new entry with a lock.

I've been hesitant to buy any further material since I bought the DMG incase much like it, a good chunk of text is simply inaccessible to me, which leads to my question about Tomb of Annihilation...

A number of my players have voiced interest in playing Tomb of Annihilation and I would like to run it for them, however since it boasts about it's "Beautifully designed Reference Manual" I don't want to buy it and not be able to use a significant portion of it. So I'm curious if anyone knows how much information is in the Reference Manual Section of Tomb of Annihilation?

I'm also curious (while I'm asking about one and if someone knows) about how much info is locked behind the Reference Manula Wall in Volo's Guide to Monsters.

Zacchaeus
September 8th, 2017, 11:00
Hi, belisknar I remember our conversation on this previously.

In the case of Tomb of Annihilation this is the first major adventure which includes both a full reference manual in addition to what an adventure would normally look like. I added this option so that DMs could run the adventure from the reference section just like they could if it were a book at the table. However the story entries are still there and the adventure can be run just like all the previous adventures fully from the story entries. Which means you can do all the necessary things you need to do for the adventure to work with your reader.

I suspect with Volo you will have the same problem as with the DMG since the text is all in a reference manul. The NPCs of course come in their usual list so you can copy those but the principle text will unfortunately be inaccessabe to you.

belisknar
September 8th, 2017, 12:49
Thanks so much for the quck reply and for the concise info.

Is there any plans to create versions of the DMG or Volo's that wouldn't be exclusively Reference? I'd love to contineu supporting FG and certainly will with the adventures.

Zacchaeus
September 8th, 2017, 13:26
Thanks so much for the quck reply and for the concise info.

Is there any plans to create versions of the DMG or Volo's that wouldn't be exclusively Reference? I'd love to contineu supporting FG and certainly will with the adventures.

Unfortunately not since they don't really lend themselves to the story format - which currently would be the only way to do it.