PDA

View Full Version : LFG New to FG.

prymal77
September 6th, 2017, 23:01
Hello my name is Aaron. I am new to Fantasy Grounds and have not played DnD in a long time. I am looking for 5E content either premade or home brewed (mostly looking to have fun). I am available on Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays MST times. Thank you for your time and hope to hear from someone..

Dennis_
September 7th, 2017, 05:00
Hello! I'm a paid DM and I have a couple of games in your time slot. Drop me a PM here or on Discord ( UnityNooblet#3614 ) if you're interested.

Black Hammer
September 7th, 2017, 19:15
Welcome to FG. There are a lot of offerings on here for D&D, so be sure to check both here and on the calendar. Look through games posted here in the last week; most DMs expect people to post in their threads, rather than combing through threads looking for players.

Also, for a new player, I would highly recommend avoiding anyone charging for games on FG. There are a lot of alternatives available, and you are better off trying a variety of things with people who enjoy introducing new people to their hobby for its own sake than ones trying to make a buck off it.

Dennis_
September 7th, 2017, 19:31
Also, for a new player, I would highly recommend avoiding anyone charging for games on FG. There are a lot of alternatives available, and you are better off trying a variety of things with people who enjoy introducing new people to their hobby for its own sake than ones trying to make a buck off it.

Ah, one of those 'artists should starve to do what they love and not sellout' types, I see.

At any rate, I currently have 30+ players who enjoy my games enough to return week after week. Several of whom were first timers when they joined one of my games.

Black Hammer
September 7th, 2017, 20:29
Ah, one of those 'artists should starve to do what they love and not sellout' types, I see.

At any rate, I currently have 30+ players who enjoy my games enough to return week after week. Several of whom were first timers when they joined one of my games.

I'm glad you're enough of an expert to put words in my mouth. I have nothing against paid DMing, and have been peripherally involved with someone doing exactly that here on FG, and based on that experience I don't think it makes for a great introduction to the hobby. People who enjoy this enough that they want to share it with others are simply a better option for being introduced to the hobby than those with higher, specific expectations (the other players paying for the games) and a DM with mixed motivations.

If someone plays a few games and decides they like a specific style of campaign in a given system and want to toss a few bucks towards a DM's books in exchange for getting that style of game, that's great. But when someone comes in looking to get back into the hobby and the first thing you show them is a price tag, I think it gives the wrong impression.

Answulf
September 7th, 2017, 20:38
*cringe* Having an argument about paid DMing might not be the best way to help a new player guys.

Aaron, hello and welcome!

Get on Discord and come check out Fantasy Grounds College: we help new players get to know the software better, learn 5E and just play while you look for a permanent game!

https://discord.gg/czBu3ZF