PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds crashes

LazyStooner
September 6th, 2017, 03:40
I'm not sure if any one is having the same problem as me but my fantasy grouds crashed periodicly. the first few times it happened i was opening books and it would tell me bad alocation and would immediatly close the program. the next few times it wouldnt close right out of fantasy grounds but would go into not responding. now lately the in game chat all of a suden "clears" itsself and 10 seccond later fantasy grounds goes into not responding mode and crashes. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing as well as clearing my cashes. Side note: at one point it threw a DD8DX (or something close to that i closed it before reading it fully) error code. any suggestions would be awesome.

Andraax
September 6th, 2017, 03:50
Sounds like you have too much open and are running out of memory. BTW, clearing the cache is only for your player instances, not your host instances.

Trenloe
September 6th, 2017, 04:09
Run Windows Task Manager and look at the memory use of FantasyGrounds.exe. If it gets above 3GB then close some modules, as it is using too much memory. FG is a 32-bit application and so can only use a maximum of just below 4GB of RAM, even if your computer has much more. You'll start having problems soon after the memory use goes above 3GB, so keep it below this. Main causes of large memory use are:
- lots of tokens. check in your tokens directory to see how many tokens you have.
- large images - the larger resolution images are the more memory FG needs to use them. The recommendation is to keep images to a maximum resolution of 2048x2048.
- opening a lot of library modules. Each open module uses memory, the larger the module the more memory it uses. This is even worse on the player side as this immediately loads the resources when a module is opened.

LazyStooner
September 6th, 2017, 04:39
it only happens when i am a player not a host so damn one down. also it only lets me open 1 maybe 2 books before it crashed and i don't own any tokens besides the ones provided. i have not check my usage at this point on task manager but i play again in 2 days and will be sure to do so.

Trenloe
September 6th, 2017, 05:08
Is your operating system 32- or 64-bit?

Andraax
September 6th, 2017, 05:10
Which books are you opening as a player? Is the GM giving you access to GM reference materials? That will sometimes cause crashes as well.

LazyStooner
September 7th, 2017, 00:59
not sure what version im running 32-64 i havent adjusted it ever. also the books i were opening were not DM material. currently it crashed opening the PHB but previously it was crashing opeing UA and 5th ED feats.

Trenloe
September 7th, 2017, 01:10
What operating system are you using? Info on checking this here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13443/windows-which-operating-system

When you're using FG run Windows Task Manager and look at the memory use of FantasyGrounds.exe

LordEntrails
September 7th, 2017, 03:29
It also might be dependent upon what info your GM has shared with you.

For instance,if you are the only player running Windows 32 bit, then you will encounter problems before other players using Windows 64 bit.

LazyStooner
September 10th, 2017, 16:45
ok finally got time to mess with this, my operating system is 64 bit but my FG is 32 bit, also FG is taking up 800-900 MB of memory. I recently got to play the same campaign (ziped and emiled to a diffent DM) on a differnt DM's table and every thing work perfect. but now players on my table are having the same issues i was having on other tables.

Trenloe
September 10th, 2017, 17:01
What extensions are you running? Please provide a screenshot of the chat window after loading your campaign showing the ruleset and extension loading messages.

Moon Wizard
September 10th, 2017, 20:47
That amount of memory usage shouldn't cause memory overload issues, so we should start looking into what you are loading/sharing/doing.

As Trenloe suggested, getting the version info from the chat window after launching your campaign would be useful.

Some other questions:
* Is there any information you can provide on the steps/actions that occur before the crash? (Both host and client)
* Make sure that you are not sharing any modules with players other than the PHB.
* Are you loading up any very high resolution graphics in your campaign? Graphics which are too large can sometimes cause issues. (>4K per dimension, such as hi-red artist maps from online)
* Also, I've seen some very rare cases where certain graphics files will just cause crash issues, due to bad data.

To check graphic issues, you can try:
* Resetting campaign portraits for your campaign (remove portraits subfolder in campaigns folder of FG data directory) to check if they are culprit;
* Rename campaign images folder to temporarily remove them.
* Rename tokens folder in FG data directory temporarily.

If we can narrow down he cause, it would be very useful.

Regards,
JPG