PDA

View Full Version : LFG - Preferably Savage Worlds

RCathcart
September 4th, 2017, 23:04
I and a friend of mine are looking for a Savage Worlds game. New to Savage Worlds, but really want to get into it. We've had gaming sessions on Wednesday around 8 EST, but may be flexible. Drop me a line!

Black Hammer
September 5th, 2017, 10:10
Wrong game, but I'm about to start up an Apocalypse World campaign in that time slot if you're interested. Irony is that it's a replacement for a SW campaign.

RCathcart
September 5th, 2017, 15:29
Wrong game, but I'm about to start up an Apocalypse World campaign in that time slot if you're interested. Irony is that it's a replacement for a SW campaign.

I looked at Apocalypse World briefly. I put it down before I really got into the system. I was put off by how it beat me over the head with how "edgy" and "cool" it supposedly is. On the other hand, word-of-mouth is that it has some pretty innovative ideas. Black Hammer, have you run AW before?

Black Hammer
September 5th, 2017, 18:45
I looked at Apocalypse World briefly. I put it down before I really got into the system. I was put off by how it beat me over the head with how "edgy" and "cool" it supposedly is. On the other hand, word-of-mouth is that it has some pretty innovative ideas. Black Hammer, have you run AW before?

The 2nd edition book at least (haven't read the 1st edition) is written in a rather breezy manner. It is a surprise if you're used to the more flat and technical style of RPG book, but if you compare it to other books written to fit their game's theme, it is rather less bizarre. The game defaults to over-the-top cinematic excess, but is fairly flexible as to the tone that can be set based on the players' choices. The potential variety of themes available can make party consensus problematic, which is why I'd probably limit playbook choices slightly. The Show, for instance, really is not a good fit for what many people would want in the game. Landfall Marine I am more likely to allow, but based only on the party's agreement to include it. Mad Max is clearly the game's primary influence, but the actual mechanics allow either that or something much more pedestrian in terms of postapocalyptic survival.

I have not run AW; I have run other PbtA games, and played the first edition of AW (along with other PbtA stuff). There are several PbtA games I'm wanting to run at some point (AW, WWW, the Sprawl/Veil), and figured I'd start with the core one first.

donkeyman
September 6th, 2017, 01:15
I would love to play savage worlds, if there's any room let me know.

RCathcart
September 6th, 2017, 19:01
... figured I'd start with the core one first.

Well, if you start one up, I think I'd be game to try it.