PDA

View Full Version : New User questions and clarifications

Phoenix
September 3rd, 2017, 21:27
I haven't played or run anything in awhile, but I'm a long time Savage Worlds player and gamemaster.

The opportunity for me to actually RUN A GAME has become possible again, so I decided to take another look at Fantasy Grounds. (Probably 10 years since I last looked at it.) The idea of having having everything more readily available on a computer, instead of lugging everything back and forth to whomever's house we will be gaming, is certainly appealing.

Anyway, I took a look at the DEMO version of Fantasy Grounds and judging by the sample campaign and tools, I was really impressed with how far along the tools have progressed. I watched a few videos on YouTube that were Savage Worlds specific and I really started to believe this would work for me. And yep, you guessed it, I bought the software and started playing around with it.

Now that I've been playing around with a non-DEMO copy, I'm starting to wonder if some of the tools I found in the DEMO's Sample Campaign (D&D) aren't available in the Savage Worlds ruleset. Specifically, "manual dice rolling" or whatever you want to call it. We have one or two players in our group who are insistent that they will "never let a computer run my character". There are a few other tools I'm trying to decipher and clarifications I'm working on, but that's the big one.

- Is there a User Manual of any sort specific to the Savage Worlds rule set?

- There are a few icons that don't indicate their function (3 little icons on the left of the "Modifiers") 20344 (The targeting, armor, and damage modifier explain themselves when hovered over.)

- Assigning manual dice rolls: The ability to roll physical dice on the table and input the numbers into the system.

I'm guessing I'm not the first one to ask these questions, but a quick search of the forum comes back with so many entries that it's often difficult to parse through them all.
Thanks in advance for any information.

Zacchaeus
September 3rd, 2017, 22:33
Welcome to FG Pheonix.

Go into options (the little cog icon top right ) and find the option for Dice: Manual entry and set it to 'ON'. You now have the manual dice roller. Note your players will need to do the same if they want to do it manually too.

The Savage Worlds user guide isn't available from the wiki (might be becasue if is getting updated - huge number of SW changes recently), but what guidance there is you will find here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/User_Guides).

Phoenix
September 3rd, 2017, 23:20
Go into options (the little cog icon top right ) and find the option for Dice: Manual entry and set it to 'ON'. You now have the manual dice roller. Note your players will need to do the same if they want to do it manually too.

That's exactly where I expected to see it, but uhhh....... Nope.
I have been staring at the computer a lot today, but I don't think my eyes are that tired.

This is the entire list under the "Options" tab:

Trenloe
September 4th, 2017, 01:20
There should be a user guide PDF in the <FG App Data>\docs directory. Get to <FG App Data> by clicking the folder icon in the top right of the main FG launch screen.

Ikael
September 4th, 2017, 04:36
There is no Manual Dice roll in pulic version, however see https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38657-SavageWorlds-v4-5-in-public-testing-available

The three small icons below damage bonus are:
Armor, Armor Piercing and Damage multiplier. Use these only if you have situational based need for them. Normally these things are already in your records and will apply to rolls

Zacchaeus
September 4th, 2017, 11:53
That's exactly where I expected to see it, but uhhh....... Nope.
I have been staring at the computer a lot today, but I don't think my eyes are that tired

Apologies, I didn't realise that it was only available in test version at the moment. However that version will be live soon so it will be available.

BubaDragon
September 4th, 2017, 15:11
Phoenix: Have you checked out the Discord server yet? There are a ton of helpful souls on there just hanging out and answering questions, I know there are even some with extensive SW experience.
https://discord.gg/VKbhkSt