PDA

View Full Version : Connection problems

Percias
September 1st, 2017, 22:09
I cant host a game even though I tried everything. I changed my firewall settings and I even went as far as disabling my firewall completely and no one can join my game.

Zacchaeus
September 1st, 2017, 22:26
You have port forwarded correctly? And whitelisted FG in your Anti Virus?

Percias
September 1st, 2017, 22:32
to try and test the problem i disabled my antivrius software and all my firewalls and still squat

Zacchaeus
September 1st, 2017, 22:53
Other possibilities. Make sure your network is set to private and not public, check that you are on IPv4 and not IPv6 and that you don't have a router and a modem. If your port is correctly open then test with canyouseeme.org with FG running as if waiting for players to connect. You can do a tracert 8.8.8.8 and report the first few steps here.

Griogre
September 2nd, 2017, 19:10
It should be noted that disabling firewalls doesn't open ports, on modern firewalls it just freezes the settings so if the port is blocked it stays blocked.

Zacchaeus
September 2nd, 2017, 19:23
It should be noted that disabling firewalls doesn't open ports, on modern firewalls it just freezes the settings so if the port is blocked it stays blocked.

Now I did not know this. This is good to know since many people say stuff like I've disabled my firewall so that can't be the problem.

Griogre
September 2nd, 2017, 20:15
You really need to start FG and use a port scanner to check whether a port is open or not, whatsmyip.org has a decent one. The other thing is that almost all computers connected to the Internet have at least two firewalls: a software one usually bundled with an antivirus or security software or the operating system and a hardware one usually in the router - but almost every physical piece of equipment between the internet connection and the computer has a firewall in it these days.

Percias
September 2nd, 2017, 23:58

That's good to know. But i fixed the problem I had to set up my modem for port forwarding.