PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question: Creating Characters

Tekaran
August 28th, 2017, 20:27
For now, I just have the demo verison, but I can't create a character. Or, I don't know how. I've watched a few videos, but I don't have the options they do. Am I able to create characters in the demo version? I have a friend that has the Ultimate, and he will be starting a game up soon, and I wanted to get a character created for his campaign. Thanks in advance!

Andraax
August 28th, 2017, 20:34
You don't have a "Manage Characters" button on your startup screen?

Tekaran
August 28th, 2017, 20:39
I have that, and I can get to the part where I create a character, put in a name for my charcter, then start to select my race from the right hand toolbar, and it's blank.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2017, 20:42
Welcome to the forums Tekaran

As Andraax says, you should have a "Manage Characters" button on the main FG launch screen - where you can then select the RPG ruleset you wish to use to create the character.

Be aware that you will not have access to any of the OGL/Basic Rules material (depending what RPG system you are using) as this is not available to Free/Demo licenses. For full character creation, your best bet might be to connect to your GM and use any material they've shared with you from their setup.

Tekaran
August 28th, 2017, 20:43
Welcome to the forums Tekaran

As Andraax says, you should have a "Manage Characters" button on the main FG launch screen - where you can then select the RPG ruleset you wish to use to create the character.

Be aware that you will not have access to any of the OGL/Basic Rules material (depending what RPG system you are using) as this is not available to Free/Demo licenses. For full character creation, your best bet might be to connect to your GM and use any material they've shared with you from their setup.

That is probably my issue. So will the standard version have the basic rules included?

Trenloe
August 28th, 2017, 20:45
That is probably my issue. So will the standard version have the basic rules included?
Yes it will - it will have the 5E Basic Rules and 5E SRD library data included (assuming you're looking at D&D 5E) - see the version comparison on the home page here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/home.php The Standard includes OGL/SRD "Data libraries" for a number of RPG systems.

Trenloe
August 28th, 2017, 20:47
You always have the option to manually enter data - not great, especially if your character is not already created, but there is always that option.

Andraax
August 28th, 2017, 21:51
I have that, and I can get to the part where I create a character, put in a name for my charcter, then start to select my race from the right hand toolbar, and it's blank.

Assuming D&D - have you opened the D&D SRD module in the library section yet?

Trenloe
August 28th, 2017, 21:52
Assuming D&D - have you opened the D&D SRD module in the library section yet?
See my "Be Aware" comment in post #4.