PDA

View Full Version : FG does not work 100%

Richard Nunn
August 27th, 2017, 18:55
I am having a technicial issue due to moving my FG and app data folders. I moved them because I kept getting errors when I tried to save a character on FG. Now I can save my stuff, but there are parts of the program that do not work correctly. For instance, when someone types a message in another language they do not appear with the special fonts when I do not understand that language. It is a garbled message and unreadable, but it does not look the way it is supposed to. I have tried updating and uninstalling and reinstalling the program and copying the new folders into the ones that I had created. I do not know if there are any other issues at this time because my group has not played since I did this. I am running Windows 10. Can someone help me with this?

Trenloe
August 27th, 2017, 19:18
Welcome to the forums!

For instance, when someone types a message in another language they do not appear with the special fonts when I do not understand that language. It is a garbled message and unreadable, but it does not look the way it is supposed to.
It sounds like you no longer have the relevant font extensions installed or enabled on your campaign. What ruleset are you using and what fonts are you expecting to see?

Did you transfer over all of the extensions and modules from your old directory after you changes to a new data directory for FG?

Richard Nunn
August 27th, 2017, 23:36
All of my folders look the same in the original directory and the new one that I created.
App Data directory: C:/Program Files (x86)/Fantasy Grounds/
Data Directory: C:/Users/me/Documents/DND/Program data/

The data directory is what I moved. I made a new location in settings and copied and pasted the original contents into the new folder.

The tokens that came with the program were not working at first, but they are now. Right now the only issue I am aware of is that when a message is typed in a language unknown to me it comes up as "igyA!iHOI" rather than the special fonts created for the various languages.

Where are these fonts supposed to be located? What is the name of the file that holds them? Why didn't uninstalling and reinstalling or updating the program fix this issue?

extensions folder has this in it
fate-BlankSkills.ext
Theme_Dungeon.ext
Theme_Wood.ext

Modules folder:
3.5E-basicrules
3.5E-magicitems
3.5E-monsters
3.5E-spells
AnimalPogs
Animals
calendars
CharacterPogs
Characters
Combat_Battlemaps
FateCoreSRD
fumblecrit
ks01_ogl_well_met_in_kithtakharos
lettertokens
MonsterPogs
Monsters
PF-SRD-Basic-Rules
PF-SRD-Bestiary
PF-SRD-Magic-Items
PF-SRD-Spells

Rulesets:
3.5E.pak
4E.pak
5E.pak
CoreRPG.pak
Fate Core.pak
Numenera.pak
PFRPG.pak

Zacchaeus
August 28th, 2017, 00:12
The default data directory is user/Appdata/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds. Make sure that Fantasy Grounds isn't pointing to that location but rather the one you created (check the path in settings). The extension Trenloe is talking about will be in Fantasy Grounds/extensions. It isn't an extension that comes with FG but is rather something which you need to download separately from the link below.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26775-Expanded-Fantasy-Language-Fonts-(FG-v3-1-3-)

Trenloe
August 28th, 2017, 01:07
It sounds like you no longer have the relevant font extensions installed or enabled on your campaign. What ruleset are you using and what fonts (languages) are you testing with?

Richard Nunn
September 11th, 2017, 03:30
I do not see any folders in Program Files ( x86)/Fantasy Grounds, which is my App Directory location. There is an extension folder in my Data directory, currently C:/Users/me/Documents/DND/Program data/, but putting the file in there does not solve my problem. I have just put the file into the App Directory, but unless someone can open a game with me it may be a week before I know if it changes anything. Any other suggestions?

Richard Nunn
September 11th, 2017, 03:33
It sounds like you no longer have the relevant font extensions installed or enabled on your campaign. What ruleset are you using and what fonts (languages) are you testing with?

We are using DND5e ruleset. I just saw that none of the extensions are enabled. Do I only need to enable the fantasy language fonts? or all of them?

Trenloe
September 11th, 2017, 04:02
I do not see any folders in Program Files ( x86)/Fantasy Grounds, which is my App Directory location.
Don't put any extensions, modules or anything else in this directory. It is just for the base application files.

To get to your data directory (where you put extensions, etc.) start Fantasy Grounds and click the folder icon in the top right of the main launch screen.

Richard Nunn
September 12th, 2017, 19:37
We are using DND5e ruleset. I just saw that none of the extensions are enabled. Do I only need to enable the fantasy language fonts? or all of them?

None of the extensions are staying enabled. Each time I log on to FG they are disabled again and enabling them and joining a game does not work either.

Last night I changed my data directory back to the default, uninstalled FG, deleted all FG folders I could find, then reinstalled the program. The extensions still do not stay enabled. Is there another folder/cookie/file somewhere that has FG initializing information in it? I ask because it remembered my registration key and user name, so maybe there is other information there that got corrupted or changed.

Zacchaeus
September 12th, 2017, 19:42
Are you a player or the DM? Extensions can only be enabled and used if you are the DM. If you are a player then you only have access to whatever extensions the DM has enabled. Equally if the DM has enabled an extension it is unnecessary for the players to have the extension at all.

One other thing; extensions are not universal. So if you start a new campaign you have to enable whichever extensions you want for that campaign. If you go back to a previous campaign the extensions you enabled should still be there.

Richard Nunn
September 12th, 2017, 20:09
Are you a player or the DM? Extensions can only be enabled and used if you are the DM. If you are a player then you only have access to whatever extensions the DM has enabled. Equally if the DM has enabled an extension it is unnecessary for the players to have the extension at all.

One other thing; extensions are not universal. So if you start a new campaign you have to enable whichever extensions you want for that campaign. If you go back to a previous campaign the extensions you enabled should still be there.

I am a player. The DM does not have the fantasy language font.ext. He and I talked about it last night before I uninstalled everything again. We did play the previous night and the languages still do not show correctly in my FG. My PC is a Halfling so knows common and Halfling, if a message is typed in Elvish or any other language than the 2 I know what I see is something like this "aL(&98hfteLGT iHFE(73ydn" rather than the stylized language fonts created for the languages. i.e. Elvish Script.

All the other players see the Elvish script. The language font he uses is the 5E-Language Fonts (FR) - Wizards, which I supposedly have since it shows up in my extensions list. Maybe it is corrupted?

Zacchaeus
September 12th, 2017, 20:41
I am a player. The DM does not have the fantasy language font.ext. He and I talked about it last night before I uninstalled everything again. We did play the previous night and the languages still do not show correctly in my FG. My PC is a Halfling so knows common and Halfling, if a message is typed in Elvish or any other language than the 2 I know what I see is something like this "aL(&98hfteLGT iHFE(73ydn" rather than the stylized language fonts created for the languages. i.e. Elvish Script.

All the other players see the Elvish script. The language font he uses is the 5E-Language Fonts (FR) - Wizards, which I supposedly have since it shows up in my extensions list. Maybe it is corrupted?

As I said as a player you cannot access any of your own extensions only those that the DM is using. If your DM does not have the correct extension loaded then you will not see any of the fonts in that extension. You will see the default 'cobbledegook' which is what you are apparently seeing. Therefore everything is working as expected.

If you want to see the proper font for your language the DM will have to install and activate the appropriate extension. If he does have the extension loaded then he should go into the langauges section in options and allocate a font to the language which you want to see.

Trenloe
September 12th, 2017, 20:43

As Zacchaeus mentioned - the GM needs the extensions installed and it's the GM who needs to enable them. The player can't enable extensions for another GMs campaign, nor do they need to have the extension installed.

The data you've downloaded from the GM might have got corrupted. To reset the player data for the campaign go to the "Join Game" screen and click the nuke button in the top left. This will remove old data and force a re-download of the campaign data, extension data used by the campaign, etc..

Richard Nunn
September 14th, 2017, 02:43
ok. Uninstalling and deleting all associated folders then reinstalling did not work. We tried another language font and that did not work either until he installed the Fantasy Language font.ext suggested earlier in the thread. So, my language issue is fixed now. I will check for other issues next time we play to see if anything else got messed up in my attempts to fix this one.