PDA

View Full Version : Starfinder RPG Support in FG

ddavison
August 25th, 2017, 19:49
Hey folks,

I thought I would share some of the stuff we have been working on lately.

https://us13.campaign-archive2.com/?u=70b64c3aab6b463beab9328c9&id=a1d3438f85

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20244&d=1503686866

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20245&d=1503686879

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20246&d=1503686890

thebwt
August 25th, 2017, 20:02
This is awesomely fantastic. If you guys get this groundwork down you can keep release cadence with the SF product lines and even maybe do society scenarios! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Edit: wait, that is a society module, that's 01 - 00!

ddavison
August 25th, 2017, 20:11
Yeah, I just wanted some sample text to use for now and it seemed better than using Lorem Ipsum text.

Talen
August 25th, 2017, 20:43
So &!^×^!/+& cool! Cant wait!

thebwt
August 25th, 2017, 21:44
Yeah, I just wanted some sample text to use for now and it seemed better than using Lorem Ipsum text.

Don't play with my heart like that! I would buy the crap outs SFS scenarios pre-done. That's so much time returned to me to run instead of preparing.

wjakubec
August 25th, 2017, 22:38
Looks fantastic! any thoughts as to when it will be available?

LordEntrails
August 25th, 2017, 22:45
Looks fantastic! any thoughts as to when it will be available?
See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35675-Paizo-and-SmiteWorks-sign-an-agreement-for-official-Pathfinder-support!&p=352061&viewfull=1#post352061

It is still too early for an ETA at this point. Lots of work left to do...

Andy66
August 25th, 2017, 22:46
New to FG and first time poster. Seems an appropriate thread to jump in on and say 'can not wait for this!!'. Very much looking forward to this...and working out how to join a group and play ;)

ddavison
August 25th, 2017, 22:47
New to FG and first time poster. Seems an appropriate thread to jump in on and say 'can not wait for this!!'. Very much looking forward to this...and working out how to join a group and play ;)

Welcome to the FG community.

Be sure to check the Game Calendar for games that are actively recruiting and have open player slots.

Andy66
August 25th, 2017, 22:54
Thanks!
Reading through FAQs and forum posts at the mo. Will def check the calendar and get myself a game sharpish (combined with time dedicated to reading through my soon to be delivered hard copy of Starfinder Rulebook!! Excited!!) ��

corwynn
August 26th, 2017, 00:12
Note for everyone interested, there's already SFS games being run in FG and we have a six table commitment so far (including at least one table each of Into the Unknown, Claim to Salvation, and The Commencement) for FG Con 11 in October. There is a game of The Commencement running on Wednesday (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2720) (demand for the Tuesday session was so enthusiastic I set up an overflow) for anyone who wants to dive in.

Wookiee420
August 26th, 2017, 00:14
@ddavison, Doug I read that teaser email, and it sounds to me like you need someone to do the conversion work. If you and Moon continue to help with the heavy lifting then I would love to help with the rest of the work. I have about 10 pages left to convert on my Sixth Gun materials and then I am ready for something new (most likely be done by mid next week, earlier if I need to be). I am very confident in my XML skills and can do modules and setting rather easily, also I can do themes (just look at my Sixth Gun stuffs for proof of skill) and MINOR lua, still learning, but I would love to learn more and help more and also help get this project off the ground.

BnaaUK
August 26th, 2017, 21:18
Is this going to have support for ship/vehical combat at launch?

I'm very excited to see this when released.

Threnode
August 27th, 2017, 02:10
That is great to see thank you for making my day!

Talen
August 30th, 2017, 20:35
To the extent you are considering wishlists, in addition to what's been mentioned, it would be nice to see a way to slot society boons and a space for society numbers. Granted it can just be added as anote but the boons do have mechanical components.

corwynn
August 30th, 2017, 23:28
That's something which has been requested by players in the SFS games for sure. A tab to handle SFS which can be shown or hidden by toggling an option would be ideal. Boon slots and listings, completed Chronicle list, Society number, etc. Would go a long way to making running SFS games even better on FG.

darkpaladin45
September 2nd, 2017, 06:44
Definitely looking forward to this!!! :D

Renderance
January 8th, 2018, 18:08
I am so ready for the Launch. Is it still later this month?

ddavison
January 8th, 2018, 20:46
I believe so. We hope to turn it in for approval in about 1 week.

Renderance
January 8th, 2018, 21:07
*shakes with excitement*

Nylanfs
January 9th, 2018, 01:23
Welcome to the forums and FG Community Rend!

Renderance
January 9th, 2018, 01:24
Thanks!

thiefofdreams
January 10th, 2018, 02:55
I am super excited for this!

Nylanfs
January 10th, 2018, 04:05
Welcome to the forums and FG community Thief!

Izcenine
January 10th, 2018, 21:50
This is seriously why I bought in to Fantasy grounds!

Michael Hopcroft
January 10th, 2018, 23:45
Any ideas on pricing?

LordEntrails
January 11th, 2018, 00:03
Any ideas on pricing?
Expect full retail minus the price of the PDF if you bought the PDF through the Paizo store and you link your FG and Paizo account.

Nylanfs
January 11th, 2018, 01:40
This is seriously why I bought in to Fantasy grounds!

Welcome to the forums and FG Community!

Nylanfs
January 11th, 2018, 01:41
Any ideas on pricing?

Between $1USD and $∞USD

ddavison
January 11th, 2018, 01:46
Expect full retail minus the price of the PDF if you bought the PDF through the Paizo store and you link your FG and Paizo account.

Yes, this is what we expect. If you don't have the PDF then you can buy it here for MSRP, sync the account and get the PDF for free from Paizo.com afterward.

merkvah
January 16th, 2018, 02:30
@ddavison
I'm super excited for the release of this mod. I saw in the LiveStream on Friday that there was a target drop date of the end of the month... is that still a possibility? Do we have any updated information on that? I already have a group put together who is just itching to get at it.

Thanks so much!

ddavison
January 16th, 2018, 02:47
@ddavison
I'm super excited for the release of this mod. I saw in the LiveStream on Friday that there was a target drop date of the end of the month... is that still a possibility? Do we have any updated information on that? I already have a group put together who is just itching to get at it.

Thanks so much!

We are going to try our best to hit that date. There are a few things not in our immediate control, but we have a decent experience so far on Pathfinder that we believe we can predict it with some certainty.

The most common questions:
When will it release?
Hopefully in January 2018 (end of the month) or early February

How much will it cost?
It will list for $59.99. If you already own the PDF at Paizo.com, you can sync your account and get the PDF price discounted from the product. The PDF price is $9.99, so you would be looking at $50 even.

Will it support ship to ship combat?
Not initially at launch. This will need to be handled manually using dice macros and notes. We *may* be able to squeeze in a very basic starship record type, but not likely at launch.

When will starship combat be added and will I have to pay extra for it when it is available?
The rules are complex enough that we want to spend some time getting it just right. We didn't want to hold up the rest of the very functional ruleset for this one piece though. Once it is added, you will get an Update Available notice within Fantasy Grounds and it will update your copy for free when you run it.

merkvah
January 16th, 2018, 02:54
Thank you so much! I can hardly wait!

Last question: Can we pre-order?

You guys rock. I know that whatever you come out with will be amazing, and I can't wait to see it!

ddavison
January 16th, 2018, 02:55
We don't currently support pre-orders, but I'll try to be real good about posting updates as it gets closer to launch and as soon as it launches, of course.

merkvah
January 16th, 2018, 03:06
<3
Thanks!

DMReckless
January 17th, 2018, 16:48
Doug, one thing I've noticed affecting starship combat is the inability to get token facing to work on a hex grid properly. Anyone looking at that?

Salz78
January 18th, 2018, 14:30
Is it just launching with the Core Rulebook for now? Or will any of the adventures or Alien Archive be available at launch?

ddavison
January 18th, 2018, 15:38
Alien Archive and Dead Suns AP 1 - 3 are nearly complete.

Hendell
January 18th, 2018, 23:50
Excellent news. Really looking forward to this.

In the Alien Archive will the creature/npc generator be drag and drop to build them? Or is that even possible?

pauljmendoza
January 19th, 2018, 20:01
Yeah, this. The creature NPC generator in alien archives would be wonderful to have as a drag and drop automation.

KILLGORE
January 19th, 2018, 23:50
Man it looks good! "eyes it like a steak and mashies"! Cant wait to get into it!

merkvah
January 24th, 2018, 15:18
Any word on the progress? Are we still looking for a Jan 31-ish drop date?

Salz78
January 24th, 2018, 15:58
Here's hoping we still get it by the end of the month!

Octavious
January 24th, 2018, 17:38
I hope its at the end of month cant wait to get going with this..but.. I suspect it will probably be the middle of feb.. there is a lot of material for this.. takes some time to get it right. It was said no starship combat support at first and that's ok.. I found some real nice digital starship sheets Im going to use. 0-h.com is where I found them .. they have some free ship maps too for starfinder. I bought a few so it does not have the legend numbers on the plans.. https://0-hr.com/SF/index.htm

merkvah
January 25th, 2018, 01:17
https://0-hr.com/SF/index.htm

That's awesome!! Thank you for sharing!

merkvah
January 28th, 2018, 01:57
I hate to be a pest but... any news?

damned
January 28th, 2018, 02:01
I hate to be a pest but... any news?

Yes it hit the store yesterday!
Or maybe not :)
I can smell the ozone ionizers throttling up!

LordEntrails
January 28th, 2018, 03:12
FG Friday on Twitch Doug talks about it a little. No date yet, it has yet to be sent to Paizo for approval.

merkvah
January 28th, 2018, 04:37
Thank you.

Azaran
January 29th, 2018, 19:06
Yes it hit the store yesterday!
Or maybe not :)
I can smell the ozone ionizers throttling up!

Oh you tease!

Renderance
January 30th, 2018, 16:17
With any luck it should drop tomorrow.

Talyn
January 30th, 2018, 16:56
Doug said on the 'FG Friday' stream that it didn't quite get finished for a January release, and is now hopeful for first or second week of February.

Renderance
January 30th, 2018, 17:14
which friday?

Trenloe
January 30th, 2018, 17:46
which friday?
Subscribe to the Fantasy Grounds newsletter to get info on this and more! https://www.facebook.com/fantasygrounds/app/100265896690345/

merkvah
January 31st, 2018, 02:45
Thanks, Trenloe! Subbing now!

ddavison
January 31st, 2018, 15:14
It's been submitted to Paizo for review and final approval. They have a new person assigned who did not previously have Fantasy Grounds installed at all and so it may take some additional time for the review. We will release it as soon as we can.

Renderance
January 31st, 2018, 15:19
You guys are awesome!

Salz78
January 31st, 2018, 23:23
Can't wait. My debit card is ready to go!

darkpaladin45
February 1st, 2018, 00:11
Looking forward to it, too. :)

dberkompas
February 1st, 2018, 00:24
Something this BIG will NOT be dependent on a debit card. Come hell or high water it will be procured.

Dave

Salz78
February 1st, 2018, 01:52
Something this BIG will NOT be dependent on a debit card. Come hell or high water it will be procured.

Dave

Ha, indeed! I'll go hunting for the Holy Grail if need be.

Klaatu_the_druid
February 3rd, 2018, 17:35
Will there be a basic rules module for Starfinder available in the library? Like SRD material. Thanks!

ddavison
February 4th, 2018, 00:23
Will there be a basic rules module for Starfinder available in the library? Like SRD material. Thanks!

Since Starfinder will be a paid add-on only, it will include a new ruleset with the entire rulebook converted for reading and for reference.

Dissonance1979
February 4th, 2018, 14:18
DDavidson, if we have the account link between Paizo and FG then it maps in our purchases for the Core Book, Alien Archive, AP's and the like correct?

ddavison
February 4th, 2018, 14:37
DDavidson, if we have the account link between Paizo and FG then it maps in our purchases for the Core Book, Alien Archive, AP's and the like correct?

It will once it goes live for purchase. Syncing before then won't show the product IDs flashing across. After it goes live, you can resync and then you'll see the discounts get added in to match the PDF price for each product.

Blahness98
February 4th, 2018, 15:03
Here's a question for you (Doug) or Samarex. I have made several modules by hand using the PF rule set and Samarex's excellent extension. My question is, how much difference will there be between the official rule set and the extension. Would I be able to swap the rule set tag and have the Starfinder rule set read my existing stuff with minimal errors or will there be countless issues that would require module re-builds. I'm only asking as I don't know if I should continue to convert the Alien Archive and the rest of the Starfinder Society adventures using the extension or if I should wait until the rule set is released.

Granted I could get the story entries build and just move the xml over, but.. laziness..

Klaatu_the_druid
February 4th, 2018, 15:09
And since we're on the subject and already interrupted Doug's relaxing Sunday, any release date set for Starfinder?

ddavison
February 4th, 2018, 17:13
Our release date is shortly after approval from Paizo. We don't know how long this process will take.

The final SFRPG ruleset and modules is significantly different than the PFRPG plus extension code. As you mention, you would be able to export and modify story entries with little effort. Anything else would probably be just as easy to rebuild in the new system as it would be to convert it. Images and tokens would be easily ported.

Klaatu_the_druid
February 4th, 2018, 17:51
Thanks, Doug - my group looks forward to the release.

Blahness98
February 4th, 2018, 18:01
Thanks Doug. I will hold off on any further progress of my modules.

saraldor
February 4th, 2018, 19:43
I am really curious for SF release... is it known if a first adventure modules will be included ?

Blahness98
February 4th, 2018, 20:31
It appears that anything that comes with the core book will be included with the base rule set. The AP and the Society scenarios are most likely add ons.

goodmanje
February 5th, 2018, 00:06
Get inside my computer StarFinder!!!

Dachartach
February 5th, 2018, 23:42
Hi there, long time listener, first time caller. Will the Starfinder ruleset be compatible with Pathfinder monster manuals and stat blocks? Either way, please take my money!

Dyark
February 5th, 2018, 23:51
Hi there, long time listener, first time caller. Will the Starfinder ruleset be compatible with Pathfinder monster manuals and stat blocks? Either way, please take my money!

I am pretty sure it will not compatible as the stats block are different. Yet you can use the core rule to convert the monster you want to keep.

ddavison
February 6th, 2018, 03:27

Dyark is correct. They won't be compatible with each other.

Treviron Riaxx
February 6th, 2018, 22:15
Yeah there's several changes to stats, Armor, feats and spells that they pretty much require some alteration... not a heavy amount. Their fairly easy to convert from pathfinder to Starfinder. Many feats, spells, are altered or not in Starfinder. Weapons in starfinder hit harder, much harder, and there's no insane amount of attacks per round.

I'm sure someone will make a converter extension to do it quickly... but it's fairly easy to do. Makes the 6 main bestiaries and the side ones still useful same thing with the optional Pathfinder player races, and extra classes, though the classes would likely take a fair bit more work depending on the classes.

Dachartach
February 6th, 2018, 22:19
Thanks for the quick replies. Yep, I'll be fine with manually adapting them. I'm weighing my options, whether to get the full PF FG modules or PDFs. I'm sure volume one of the Alien Archive can tide my players over until more volumes of it are released.

Treviron Riaxx
February 6th, 2018, 22:22
If your going full on Starfinder... I just recommend using the free Pathfinder community modules if you want to convert things.... or just use the PFd20SRD site, There is a community made Bestiary module set for 1 to 6... no pictures for obvious reasons. But if your just going to convert I think it's best.

jakemtl
February 7th, 2018, 02:12
Our release date is shortly after approval from Paizo. We don't know how long this process will take.

Hello Doug, - thank you for this information. So can we safely assume that the Starfinder implementation was already submitted to Paizo for approval? If so, can you share with us the date it was submitted for approval?

damned
February 7th, 2018, 03:14
Hello Doug, - thank you for this information. So can we safely assume that the Starfinder implementation was already submitted to Paizo for approval? If so, can you share with us the date it was submitted for approval?

Welcome jakemtl
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42165-Starfinder-Ruleset-Official-Products-bug-Reports&p=375099&viewfull=1#post375099

Tawoda
February 7th, 2018, 13:09
How much will this extension cost?

damned
February 7th, 2018, 13:13
How much will this extension cost?

The existing extension is free.
The upcoming ruleset and reference materials will cost the same as the Hardback Books RRP.

Tawoda
February 7th, 2018, 13:15
I'm new to FG, do you need ultimate to play? I didn't see it in the FG launcher (I got standard membership)

damned
February 7th, 2018, 13:26
Hi Tawoda

The only real difference between Standard and Ultimate is if you are the GM.
GMs with an Ultimate license can host players using Ultimate/Standard and even Demo clients.

There is no difference in the included DLC.

Have you started to look at the User Guide or any of the videos on how to use the software?

There are rulesets included in all installs for 5e, 4e, 3.5e, Pathfinder, Fate Core, Numenera. Some of those rulesets come with SRD (publicly released under an OGL/SRD license) data.
Other data must either be purchased or entered yourself.

5e and Pathfinder for example have a number of high quality source books in FG format in the Store.
Other licensed Systems like Call of Cthulhu and Savage Worlds come with a ruleset and sourcebook and have additional sourcebooks in the store.

Extensions are typically user created and typically free.

There is also a good number of community made rulesets - without reference materials (as these are copyright) that are free to download.

Dyark
February 7th, 2018, 13:28
I'm new to FG, do you need ultimate to play? I didn't see it in the FG launcher (I got standard membership)

As a player, no license required if DM has Ultimate, DM if you have a regular, the player need a regular, if you have an Ultimate, player can play with the demo version.

I do not know how many regular license their is, but a lot of DM have the ultimate license. It could be interesting to see stats on this.

Tawoda
February 7th, 2018, 13:34
So when starfinder ruleset extension is released, where would I find that?

damned
February 7th, 2018, 13:39

About four months ago.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40667-Starfinder-Conversion-Extension-for-PFRPG

Trenloe
February 7th, 2018, 13:56
If you’re referring to the official Starfinder ruleset (which is different to an "extension") then that will be available in the FG store, and Steam DLC, when released.

Tawoda
February 7th, 2018, 13:59
Okay I see the one from 4 months ago. Tonight I'll download it and check it out. (And probably come back for much more questions) I have purchased pdf of dead suns for my home group from paizo store. Will I be able to link that now or when the official ruleset is released?

Trenloe
February 7th, 2018, 14:05
I have purchased pdf of dead suns for my home group from paizo store. Will I be able to link that now or when the official ruleset is released?
It hasn’t been released yet. So there’s nothing to link.

If you’re wanting to use the official Starfinder products (ruleset, adventure path, alien archive, etc.) then DON'T use the extension from 4 months ago, the data is not compatible. Have patience and wait for the official product releases.

Treviron Riaxx
February 7th, 2018, 15:56
Yeah its why I stopped working on my setting using it. Figured there'd be compatibility issues and its coming out soon anyways.

merkvah
February 9th, 2018, 01:30
Okay I see the one from 4 months ago. Tonight I'll download it and check it out. (And probably come back for much more questions) I have purchased pdf of dead suns for my home group from paizo store. Will I be able to link that now or when the official ruleset is released?

Make sure you link your Steam and Smiteworks accounts. Then, when the AP drops for Fantasy Grounds, you'll get the cost of the PDF deducted from the purchase price of the FG module. So if the PDF was $10, and the FG module is $15, you'll only have to pay $5 for the FG module, as long as your Steam and Smiteworks accounts are linked.

Instructions for that are on this forum somewhere. =)

pindercarl
February 9th, 2018, 01:33
Make sure you link your Steam and Smiteworks accounts.

I think you meant to say "link your Fantasy Grounds and Paizo accounts." The link is in the store tab on the main page, or you can do it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/syncPaizoAccount.xcp

ddavison
February 10th, 2018, 01:12
Starfinder was just approved and is now available in the store. Please sync and make sure your Paizo purchases again and make sure your discounts are correct before checkout if you already own any of the PDFs already.

damned
February 10th, 2018, 01:17
Woot! well done team.

DMReckless
February 10th, 2018, 01:17
Account sync does not seem to be working for this product.

edit: does show 7201/2/3 will check other numbers; discount is what's not working

Salz78
February 10th, 2018, 01:27
Yeah, my account is linked but I'm not seeing the discount for owning the pdfs. =(

ddavison
February 10th, 2018, 01:30
Doh!

Give me 5 mins to fix. I know the reason.

Salz78
February 10th, 2018, 01:38
Woot! Can't wait to start running this.

ddavison
February 10th, 2018, 01:39
Okay, try it again now.

DMReckless
February 10th, 2018, 01:40
Yes! Successful purchase is successful! :)

merkvah
February 10th, 2018, 03:52
My discount is also not showing up. =( how do we fix it? I tried both through Steam and through FantasyGrounds.com

merkvah
February 10th, 2018, 03:56
Nm. Got it. =) And purchased!! Thank you!

pauljmendoza
February 10th, 2018, 04:38
Got it and alien archive, got ti linked to my Paizo account as well.

Alucius395
February 10th, 2018, 05:09
Ok, ignorant here about how this works.
- Does everyone that is playing need to purchase the ruleset for FG or just the DM with the ultimate license?

Treviron Riaxx
February 10th, 2018, 05:23
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, I know the ship system is not included and that's understandable due to it requiring more work.
The Alien Archive, feels incomplete I'm assuming some of the features are delayed for later which would be fine.

Otherwise I'm liking what I'm seeing, now can start working on translating my setting into SF

Treviron Riaxx
February 10th, 2018, 05:24
[QUOTE=Alucius395;375618]Ok, ignorant here about how this works.
- Does everyone that is playing need to purchase the ruleset for FG or just the DM with the ultimate license?[/QUOTE

I am assuming only DM/host needs it.

ddavison
February 10th, 2018, 05:28
Only the GM hosting the game needs it. When the players connect, they get access to it while connected. We have several "Player" versions of modules, so for stuff like the Alien Archive there will be two modules available in the Data > Modules screen for activation. The Players will be able to activate only the Player version for use in building characters.

corwynn
February 10th, 2018, 05:31
Congratulations on getting this out.

xhashmarkx
February 10th, 2018, 06:34
Quick Question: Do the extra races in the Alien Archive have the same Drag and Drop functionality as the races from the core book?

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2018, 11:09
Hi xhashmarkx, welcome to FG. Yes, the additional races do indeed have the same funcionality as the races in the core book.

HiJumpr111
February 10th, 2018, 13:01
Yes, just be sure to load the Player version of the Alien Archive first.

Shieldstromme
February 10th, 2018, 23:17
Awesome job guys - clearly a whole lot of work has gone into this. Well worth the wait!

Yuki-God
February 12th, 2018, 02:09
So i see the discount on the store page of fg but i dont see it on steam. does it not discount the steam page or am i doing something wrong?

ddavison
February 12th, 2018, 02:23
Steam does not provide any mechanism for us to grant a discount. We do, however, allow you to buy from Steam and then sync that purchase back to paizo.com to get your free PDF added to your account.

merkvah
February 14th, 2018, 19:14
So i see the discount on the store page of fg but i dont see it on steam. does it not discount the steam page or am i doing something wrong?

I had the same issue. I just bought the modules I wanted directly from Fantasygrounds.com and got the sync pretty easily.