PDA

View Full Version : Magic Damage type bug?

Threnode
August 25th, 2017, 05:55
Using PFRPG Ruleset.

So I created a weapon that has the damage type magic, slashing. When I make damage rolls with it, it correctly says TYPE: magic, slashing. It will then overcome incorporeal, DR magic, and DR slashing. The problem I'm having is with a golem it has DR:5 slashing, Immune magic. The weapon no longer effects them. AFAIK golems are only supposed to be immune to spells and spell like abilities that allow SR.

As of now I am removing the Immune magic from the golems in bestiary 1 and replacing it with Immune spell. Now the weapon works as it should. Funny thing is the old Immune magic property wasn't giving them any immunity to spells, now with immune spell they are immune to spells but still can be damaged by magic weapons with the appropriate DR type.

Unfortunately they are immune to all spells not just ones that allow SR. Acid arrow and the like should effect them as it doesn't have SR but it doesn't. Is there a better way to handle this situation?

dellanx
August 29th, 2017, 16:30
I seen some thing like this before. Is this a bug?

Nickademus
August 29th, 2017, 16:42
It's not a bug, necessarily. The ruleset just isn't designed to use the word 'spells' as only SR-related spells. A new term would need to be made for that subdivision. Also, "DR:5 slashing, Immune magic" should be "DR:5 slashing; Immune: magic"... not sure if that's causing any of the trouble. But still, that would make it immune to the magic damage type and any damage that has it. So not what you want for a golem. For that you want to avoid an effect for the Immunity to Magic and just ask the player casting the spell if there is a spell resistance check (then informing them the spell failed if there is).

Threnode
August 29th, 2017, 21:54
Thanks Nickademus, I've read a bunch of advise on the board from you as well as using mod/ext you had a hand in. Your very helpful, so again thx to you and everyone else who contributes so much here.

I was using the correct syntax in FG "DR:5 slashing; IMMUNE: spell" should of written it correctly in the post to avoid confusion, oops. You are right I'm just looking for SR when they cast their spell to see if it's immune. Luckily only a few spells in core PF don't allow SR and do direct damage, mainly the acid spells (arrow, fog, and splash). All of the golem variants from the FG pathfinder official bestiary 1 have IMMUNE:magic as a trait by default so that should be edited out eventually, but I can fix it as needed for now.

Been a GM running D&D groups since the 80's with a few years off in that span of time. Still have my original red, blue, green, and black D&D books (someone made off with my gold immortal book argh). Ran many games since both in and out of the D&D franchise. Recently I got back into it with Pathfinder and even more recently FG. Haven't tried D&D 5e yet though I'm sure I will.

FG has helped me rekindle my love of p&p games. Tried other VTTs, none got as much right as FG. Just got the Starfinder ruleset and looking to translate some of my old Star Wars modules into it, with a lot of adjustments of course hehe.

Moon Wizard
August 30th, 2017, 04:49
I'll have to add an exception for magic immunity to translate to "IMMUNE: spell", since we treat magic as a damage type.

Cheers,
JPG

Threnode
August 30th, 2017, 04:54
Awesome, thank you.

Nickademus
August 30th, 2017, 05:24
Been a GM running D&D groups since the 80's with a few years off in that span of time. Still have my original red, blue, green, and black D&D books (someone made off with my gold immortal book argh). Ran many games since both in and out of the D&D franchise. Recently I got back into it with Pathfinder and even more recently FG. Haven't tried D&D 5e yet though I'm sure I will.

I think you'll like 5e. It has a strong 2e feel while being streamlined.

Threnode
August 30th, 2017, 20:52
That sounds right up my alley, thx for the recommendation.