PDA

View Full Version : New player - Time to decide

Mardragon7
August 22nd, 2017, 20:17
Hi all,

I rolled my first dice 25 years ago using some rules that was only up to lvl 5 or something at a friends. When he moved away, I went on to a shop and aquired D&D Rules Encyclopedia shortly thereafter. Big eff off dragon on the front chasing a rider, no idea where it places itself in the history of D&D :). I built many games and campaigns out of that and keep a lot of stuff I made for that up to this day. It has survived many moves, over great distances. It survived my reckless young adult period and now it has survived marriage. I still got my stuff :D

We went on to AD&D second edition, but a while after this our group slowly fell apart. We have played on and off through the years, but distance made it really impossible to keep things going.

Then I got grabbed by the Neverwinter Nights persistant worlds and with it got into the 3rd edition ruleset and became very fond of it, even in its computer version. I have played many MMORPGs and SPRPGs, but frankly nothing of it really compares, its a different kind of fun.

That was me up to this point.

Before this last weekend I was speaking about our latest sessions with a mate of mine and I decided to look around a little. I had a inkling that with the tech nowadays someone must have found a cure for what RL has done to DnD RP groups over the years, and to say the least, I was very very pleased with what I discovered. Very good job guys. :)

So I downloaded FG demo and as can be expected my questions piled up. Tutorials have helped. Forums has helped. Wikis and lots and lots of sources on the internet, even if somewhat older, has been great help.

I believe myself capable now to transform my ideas into games on fantasy grounds and I believe my group of players will like it. It took some effort and will take more still, of that I am sure.

But, I didnt come to the tavern just to share my life story :)

At this point I am able to use the program like a newb and I am an ultimate licence holder.

The choice before me is what ruleset do I go for now, at this point in time? I have come to understand that 5e is the most used ruleset. I like 3,5 ruleset which is the one we have been using the times a year we could meet and is the ruleset that I grew fond off.

I likely will buy all available mods for the ruleset I choose even if I own the handheld books for 3,5.

Is content still being made for 5e? Is anything made for 3,5e?

I see that during combat and adventure creation, fantasy grounds has very handy automatic number calculations on certain stuff. Is there a ruleset that is still more under development than the others or is effort spread across the rulesets? I am thinking right now that if 3,5e is kinda a finished article and 5e is the most supported it would be a good idea to start with it, as it is a fresh start for us? I like sitting with my notes and writing and creating, but I really also believe I could get used to the most amount of automation in regard to sheets and combat. After seeing how it works :)

I used to love building characters myself with NwN in 3,5. I brought building characters as enemies for players, building NPC to aid them from my online experience and then see what they can come up with themselves. Does 5e offer the same freedom in character creation, with presitige classes and numbercrunching etc?

Is combat resolved much diffrently between the rulesets?

I likely will have loads to ask you guys, given half a chance, but deciding on a ruleset will be the most important at this point to get us started.

Thank you very much for any help in deciding the future :)

Nylanfs
August 22nd, 2017, 20:23
Welcome to the forums and FG Community!

LordEntrails
August 22nd, 2017, 20:32
I think you will be happier with 5E. Here's why;

3.5E has limited licensed content. WotC never granted anyone a license to do the PHB, MM, DMG or adventures. What you will find is SRD material. Which is good, but also doesn't have all of the capabilities now found in FG. 3.5E also has limited automation and other than what it gains as Pathfinder is improved upon, it is unlikely to ever get any updates.

5E licensed content is fully supported. Every official WotC source, plus most Adventure League content has been made available (for sale/purchase) in FG. And all new WotC sources get released on FG the same day they get released in the WPN stores. Though not everything in 5E is automated, it is constantly improved upon (and as we know, every rule has an exception, not everything can be expected to be automated). 5E is the most automated of the systems.

As for flavor and play dynamics, 3.5E and 5E are different. 5E is more like AD&D, it is more straightforward and has fewer options. This may be a challenge for someone who loves to create bizarre character combinations, to maximize a concept or to combine unusual things. 5E simple does not have the complexity of classes, options, feats weapon types, or numerous specialty rules and modifiers that 3.5E does.

That is by design, but it may mean that 5E doesn't meat your expectations.

Zacchaeus
August 22nd, 2017, 20:43
Hi, Mardragon7, welcome to FG and to the community.

I've only really played 5e so I know that it is a well developed ruleset and especially since the license agreement with WotC great deal of additional features has been added and continues to be added. The 3.5 ruleset is also very well developed since it has been around for a long time but may not have all of the drag and drop features found in the 5e ruleset. If you have the Ultimate edition then you will have a lot of content for both rulesets already available to you. Fire up a campaign with either and you should be able to play with what's available with the SRD or OGL stuff that's there. This should give you a good idea of how each ruleset works.

5e doesn't have prestige classes - you can read the rules if you start a 5e campaign and find the SRD data, bestiary and magic items modules. You'll alos ind the DD 5e basic rules for players and DM in your modules folder. I believe something similar exists for 3.5 too. FG does a good deal of the number crunching for things like combat etc; but it isn't a fully fledged character creator such as you might find with PCGen or GeroLab. FG let's you build illegal characters since there are no checks for legality. But for 5e at least you can drag in your race, background, class, equipment and spells and more or less everything will be set up. Some user intervention is needed (as you'll have seen if you read the wiki article on character creation on the 5e wiki) but a lot is done for you.

Combat is pretty much the same across all rulesets. But there will be differences depending on how much automation has been built in to the characters actions.

As I said above the best thing to do is have a go with what's available free, before you take the decision on where to go from there.

Mardragon7
August 22nd, 2017, 21:25
Thank you Nylanfs, Zacchaeus and LordEntrails,

@Zacchaeus; Cheers. It sounds like I would have to work a little harder to get 3,5 to work, I'll easily do it the harder way if 5E doesn't convince me however. I'll take the advice and roll up some 5E chars with PCgen and find a tutorial and solo it up , as none of my mates will be available before late in the weekend, and I'll see what I think before I talk it through with them. PCgen became my go to site with 3,5 too when I realized FG didnt do what I thought at first on char sheet :). Character creation might give me some indication what to expect aswell. Little sad to hear about the lack of prestige classes, but I can add the desired effects to my bad guys as I see fit regardless, little worse for the player I guess. :)

@LordEntrails; What you do describe is likely a good reason for me to become 5e , yeah, even more so as this is a fresh start. It is really only me that is a looney for the combinations and as I said over, as the DM, I can get my fix regardless.
I do not remember AD&D as straightforward however, and found the rules for what you could and couldn't do to be better decribed in 3,5. Admittedly it is quite some time ago, since I opened those rulebooks. I might have a different understanding now becoming older. There was less a char could do with actions, that I do remember. I wouldn't want the rules to go back to Fighter being just a fighter however, by my choice :)

What I will do next then I play a 5e module that is available with a 5e 4 man party of my own design.

I'll come back and ask more question later, thank you for all the aid so far.

Happy hunting.

Bidmaron
August 22nd, 2017, 21:33
Mardragon, let me suggest Pathfinder. It is basically your beloved 3.5 with some improvements and it has butt tons of material. It is in active development here. More adventure material is coming along all the time.

The quality of Paizo material is generally superb.

Talyn
August 22nd, 2017, 21:36
As the others have said, 5E is the only officially supported edition of D&D here on Fantasy Grounds. Pathfinder is recently officially supported and that is essentially the unofficial D&D 3.75 after WotC dropped 3rd edition and moved to 4th without the same licensing (OGL) that 3rd had.

Now, having said that, you can certainly enter in the data manually. It's not a fun process but once it's done, it's done. The Pathfinder players had to do that for years. And even now, 5E players who don't want to pay for the Core Class Pack (the FG version of the Players Handbook) still enter all the data on their own. Same with some of the Pathfinder and indeed, 3.5E players and GMs.

Just depends what you're into and how much time you want to devote to it. The SRD is available for both 3.5E and 5E so you can get up and running with those for free to try each of them out. 5E has more automation so it's "shinier" whereas 3.5E you'd be doing more rolls, etc. "manually" the same as you would at the table.

The great thing about FG is you can play almost anything you want, so explore and do what you prefer. If you're more into 3.5E by all means dig in and have a blast. Or taking things to the other end, there's Castles & Crusades which is a rules-light 3E variant with all the 3E thrown out in order to get more of a 1E/2E "feel" while playing.

Ram Tyr
August 22nd, 2017, 21:47
Mardragon, let me suggest Pathfinder. It is basically your beloved 3.5 with some improvements and it has butt tons of material. It is in active development here. More adventure material is coming along all the time.

The quality of Paizo material is generally superb.
This.

You should consider DnD5e. It has many benefits. (Including being the most popular system on Fantasy Grounds.) You may want to jump into a session to see it in action. The Adventure League games would probably be good for this. (Because they are one shot games, you could simply show up for one session if that is all you need to know that you like/hate what you see.)

If you do want to remain faithful to 3.5, I second the suggestion you look at Pathfinder. You'll recognize it as very similar to 3.5. There are differences, but it is still supported. Paizo still produces materials. In fact, Pathfinder has their own version of Adventure League... Pathfinder Society. Both Adventure League and Pathfinder Society games are run on FG.

LordEntrails
August 22nd, 2017, 23:49
If you end up wanting to play through something in 5E, I'd suggest you look at Adventure A Week .com. You can get the first adventure for free (I think). And they have FG conversions of many of their modules. Also, I'd be happy to send over a copy of the adventure I did on the DMsGuild. I don't (yet) have the other modules in the series published, so it would not really be a good one for your campaign. But it does have an FG module all prepped for play.

Erin Righ
August 23rd, 2017, 00:19
Hi Mardragon, and welcome. As a recent 3.5e convert, I seriously recommend you look at Pathfinder. The transition between 3.5 and PF is easy, almost seamless, and PF doesn't make all your 3.5 material obsolete, in fact most of it is completely compatible without changes or very minor changes. The system is fully supported and expanding with no signs of stopping soon, and there is a BUTT TON of material put out for it in PDF, and that is something D&D5 can't offer. Like D&D5, it is licenced by SmiteWorks, and is creating new material everyday. I grant there is currently more material in FG for 5E than for PF, but the expansion is great. I only own the Core Material and the Advanced Player's Guide for FG but I find the capabilities more than adequate to my needs as I still haven't discovered them all. But in any event, whether you choose PF or 5E, you will find this tool to be the greatest addition to tabletop gaming since the 30 sider.

Nylanfs
August 23rd, 2017, 01:42
Thank you Nylanfs, Zacchaeus and LordEntrails,

@Zacchaeus; Cheers. It sounds like I would have to work a little harder to get 3,5 to work, I'll easily do it the harder way if 5E doesn't convince me however. I'll take the advice and roll up some 5E chars with PCgen and find a tutorial and solo it up , as none of my mates will be available before late in the weekend, and I'll see what I think before I talk it through with them. PCgen became my go to site with 3,5 too when I realized FG didnt do what I thought at first on char sheet :). Character creation might give me some indication what to expect aswell. Little sad to hear about the lack of prestige classes, but I can add the desired effects to my bad guys as I see fit regardless, little worse for the player I guess. :)

@LordEntrails; What you do describe is likely a good reason for me to become 5e , yeah, even more so as this is a fresh start. It is really only me that is a looney for the combinations and as I said over, as the DM, I can get my fix regardless.
I do not remember AD&D as straightforward however, and found the rules for what you could and couldn't do to be better decribed in 3,5. Admittedly it is quite some time ago, since I opened those rulebooks. I might have a different understanding now becoming older. There was less a char could do with actions, that I do remember. I wouldn't want the rules to go back to Fighter being just a fighter however, by my choice :)

What I will do next then I play a 5e module that is available with a 5e 4 man party of my own design.

I'll come back and ask more question later, thank you for all the aid so far.

Happy hunting.

Yea for the PCGen luv. :)

Mardragon7
August 23rd, 2017, 10:58
Thank you for the advice to all.

Last night I made chars in 5E and I fired up the sample campaign to see some action. Man, I wish I did that immidiatly when joining, for what an awesome tutorial it is. I would have saved myself a few hours if I started with that :) Thats my tip to other new players, run that :D

I got to see and try a lot of the automation and I think 5e will be very good for my players and me to get into DnD online through FG.

If I think aside from the campaigns I intend to run, and only think as me "a player", I personally I think I might prefer the 3,5 ruleset(having only glanced at 5e) and will take up your advices for Pathfinder. I think I will look at joining some games as a player for PF and see what its about.

Thats were I stand at the moment, I didnt quite get through the sample, so I will finish it up this evening.

As a ultimate license holder I have access to a lot and I see you guys advice I run with that for a bit before purchases.

I need to ask however, what do the complete rulesets actually add to the gameplay? The mechanics and the math seem to be in place already.

If I get the PHB complete for 5e what is the most noteworthy additions vs what I already have access to?

If I get the monster book complete for 5e what is the most noteworthy additions vs what I already have access to? I noticed some monsters was missing tokens.

If I get the DM book complete for 5e what is the most noteworthy additions vs what I already have access to?

Zacchaeus
August 23rd, 2017, 11:50
This might answer (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e) most of your remaining questions

Mardragon7
August 23rd, 2017, 12:17
Thank you for linking it.

PHB:
Primarily the PHB is concerned with character creation and the rules for actually playing the game. If you own the PHB then you can make it available to your players so that they can create their characters. Full drag and drop functionality means that players can drag a class, race, background and equipment into their character sheet and (almost) everything will be set up for them ready to play.

Note, however, that the character sheet is not a character builder so some manual intervention is required to get the best out of the character.

The drag and drop functionality links sections of the character sheet to the Player’s Handbook so the player (or the DM) can click on these links to open the relevant section. Of all three of the core rulebooks the consensus is that the PHB is pretty much essential for its ease of use and functionality.

To me it seems the drag and drop functionality is already there tho, are there more feats and stuff available in the PHB than what is already added with the core rules? Or is it it just better descibed in the PHB?

MM:
If you are going to be creating your own campaigns (as opposed to purchasing adventures) as a DM then the Monster Manual will be a very desirable module to own. All of the NPCs are in there complete with background information and full colour artwork that can be shared with players. NPCs from the MM can be dropped into encounters and from there onto the Combat Tracker and onto maps. Each will have a token representing the NPC as well as all the statistics, attacks and defences of the NPC. When placed on the CT the NPCs attacks, spells and other abilities will show up on the CT and as DM you will be able to use those by simply double clicking on the attack, ability or effect.

If you plan to use only published adventures then the MM is perhaps less of a necessity since all of the NPCs in those adventures will come with it.
That sound like a must have to me, I intend to heavily rely on my own creation. I asume it is a lot more creatures available with this.

DMG:
The Dungeons Master’s Guide contains information on how to create worlds, dungeons, campaigns, NPCs, treasures and other rewards as well as detailed guidance on running a game and generally how to be a DM. It also contains many pages of magic items and a huge number of tables for rolling up random treasures, dungeons, personalities and a host of other things.

Whether you need any of this might also depend on whether you intend to make up your own adventures or run published ones. However even if you fall into the latter category the lure of those magic items is great – and with a single roll of a dice you can create a treasure parcel down to the smallest detail. If you roll a sword it will tell you what kind of sword; if you roll a scroll it will tell you what scroll you got; or what gem; or what armour or what potion.

Wherever possible the tables in the DMG have been optimised for use in FG like this. You roll once and if the table entry directs you to roll elsewhere then that roll is made too.

In summary then, the three core rulebooks are not essential but depending on how you run your game it could make life a lot easier, give your players a host of options, give you easy access to information and rules as well as cutting prep time by a considerable amount.

One of the areas I havent checked to much yet is the treasure creation and xp handling. It seemed to be non existant in 3,5, but could be my ignorance at this time.

Are there already in 5e options to with automation towards appropriate treasure and xp levels, based on a given encounter, or does the DMG offer invaluable tools towards this bit? That you guys feel is needed.

I guess what I am looking for is a place to drop the finished encounter and have the game spew out a proposed xp and treasure, that I can modify and then give out. It would be great if it works like this when you start fresh with a ruleset to get a feel for what "should" be given.

Nylanfs
August 23rd, 2017, 12:39
What's included with the FG License is the 5e SRD and Basic Rules. The largest difference between the 35e and 5e SRD is that the 5e is more of a style guide for publishers instead of the majority of the rules like the 35e SRD. This means that there's only one feat, one background, etc.

LordEntrails
August 23rd, 2017, 15:55
The PHB has more options for character and racial classes than the SRD and/or Basic Rules have. It also has some more spells and possibly? more equipment. More info here (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/4atbi1/difference_between_basic_rules_and_5th_ed_srd/).

I don't know the comparison of numbers of monsters between the SRD and MM. There are certainly more with the MM and most of them have picture tokens. More info here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?31521-Is-the-Core-Monster-Pack-still-worth-buying-now-that-the-SRD-Bestiary-exists).

The DMG has the random treasure tables. It's not quite the same as with previous additions, but there are still instructions on creating treasure hoards and tables to roll on and links to the items etc. It also has Story Templates that can help generate random dungeons and more. Sorry, don't have a link for it, but I think Doug Davision did a you tube video on it.

XP is already built into the rulesystem when you create encounters. And you can drag/drop those onto the Party Sheet XP table and then click the Award button and it will divide the XP among the party members. FG will not automatically level up the characters though, since most DM's will want to wait until an appropriate time to have the players level up.

Check out this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices), it might give you an idea about setting up adventures, encounters, and treasure parcels.

Mardragon7
August 23rd, 2017, 17:14
The PHB thread sold me. If there are options, and there are few, then I want what there is atleast.

Monster Manual I was pretty much sold on, now is confirmed. Need it.

I probably just need the last book to just complete the set if anything. :)

I am just looking for excuses to buy it, I guess.

I downloaded your guide@Lordentrails , Ill check it this evening.

I am pretty certain I'll be DMing 5e and Playing 3,5(pf if I like it)

Thanks guys.

Nylanfs
August 23rd, 2017, 18:09
Just buy everything ins the store, problem solved. :)

LordEntrails
August 23rd, 2017, 18:10
You are welcome.

Did you know, that the community here hosts periodic game days (FG Daze) and conventions (FG Con)? The next FG Con is coming up in October. It's a great chance to play or GM something new. See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39676-FG-Con-11-Friday-October-13th-to-Sunday-15th):)

Mardragon7
August 23rd, 2017, 22:27
You are welcome.

Did you know, that the community here hosts periodic game days (FG Daze) and conventions (FG Con)? The next FG Con is coming up in October. It's a great chance to play or GM something new. See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39676-FG-Con-11-Friday-October-13th-to-Sunday-15th):)

I had read that there were games going, yeah. The times looked like a challenge for a family man in GMT +1 :D

I do not expect our gaming sessions to go around the clock, even if we have a much better chance now online, than in RL. Meaning I will have time as a player as well.

I will definetly be looking for someone to play with as a PC. I do not want to be a complete newb however, when I look for these games, I am certain there is a certain level of knowledge expected of a gamer :)

Talyn
August 23rd, 2017, 23:02
I have the most retarded schedule on the planet which means so far the only times I actually get to play anything on FG is during FG Con twice a year. And 99% of the games welcome new players and new users. It's a wonderful thing.

LordEntrails
August 23rd, 2017, 23:21
Game times during FG Con and FG Daze are all around the clock. There are numerous GM's in Australia, Asia, North & South America and Europe. Probably places I didn't list too! So it's a great time to find a one-shot in a time slot that works for you. No commitment other than the single (occasionally some games are multi-part during the Con) session so it can be just how ever many games you have time for that weekend.

Almost every game is open to those new to the system and to FG too. I've played game systems that I otherwise would have never tried (Savage World and Cthulu) and other than reading some basics beforehand, no problem. Most games use pre-generated characters, so you don't have that to worry about either.

Nylanfs
August 24th, 2017, 01:49
We need to get a GM onto the ISS, that would be cool. :)

Mardragon7
August 24th, 2017, 10:07
Nylanfs
Just buy everything ins the store, problem solved.
Yeah, thats it isnt it. :D

Done or rather "done last night". Looked over it and pleased with the descision.

No more nagging about that in this thread from me. :)

How do you actually go about signing up and joining the games with people you don't know? Where do you actually see there is a game, what ruleset the games will be and if you are allowed to be a newb or not?

About the sample adventure. I read the tutorial and I ran the story with me as both DM and player. I almost managed to kill myself, well done me :) It was very good experience for me and would be for anyone new, I think. The ease with the automation is major for me to choose 5e to DM. I got some issues with targetting, but rolling straight to CT I find I can just ignore it for the time being. I'll probably solve my targetting issues once I set my mind to it.

Now it is time to be creative and set up a session. I feel well equipped for it.

Thanks all.

LordEntrails
August 24th, 2017, 15:49
How do you actually go about signing up and joining the games with people you don't know? Where do you actually see there is a game, what ruleset the games will be and if you are allowed to be a newb or not?
It is usually best/easiest to check out the LFG forum (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?40-LFG-Looking-for-Group) and post in whatever thread looks promising and if they have a link to the game calendar entry, to them sign-up there as well. You can just check out the game calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/gamecalendar/dashboard.php) (note, times on the dashboard are UTC, times once you go into the list are adjusted to your profile time), but you should contact the GM as well if you do that.

For FG Con, the FG con website (https://www.fg-con.com)has a signup calendar that will be populated when we get closer to the Con.

Talyn
August 24th, 2017, 16:51
It is usually best/easiest to check out the LFG forum (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?40-LFG-Looking-for-Group) and post in whatever thread looks promising and if they have a link to the game calendar entry, to them sign-up there as well. You can just check out the game calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/gamecalendar/dashboard.php) (note, times on the dashboard are UTC, times once you go into the list are adjusted to your profile time), but you should contact the GM as well if you do that.

The Fantasy Grounds Discord server also has a #looking_for_group channel.

However, all the solutions are still dependent upon GMs and Players bothering to check them, and having a game going when you are available. Finding a group is difficult online, just like face to face groups.

DragonsDen13
August 26th, 2017, 07:06
I had read that there were games going, yeah. The times looked like a challenge for a family man in GMT +1 :D

I do not expect our gaming sessions to go around the clock, even if we have a much better chance now online, than in RL. Meaning I will have time as a player as well.

I will definetly be looking for someone to play with as a PC. I do not want to be a complete newb however, when I look for these games, I am certain there is a certain level of knowledge expected of a gamer :)

Another good way to test out the game systems is to keep an eye on the LFG forum as you can find a decent variety of games in there; allowing you "the player" to see how each works and what might be best for your group.

Targas
August 26th, 2017, 11:42
It might not mean much, however reading you are from GMT+1, there is plenty of localized Pathfinder material available in German (284 products), offered by Ulisses -> https://www.ulisses-spiele.de/produkte/icons/

Should be enough to keep you busy for awhile...

Mardragon7
September 9th, 2017, 12:02
I have ran a few games now and getting really into it.

Using Dungeon Painter Studio and Syrinscape and my games are starting to really become what I wanted from fantasy grounds.

I have a question in regards to Syringscape and the sound.

My player get a popup to go to Appstore and get something,(but there is nothing to get, greyed out OK) when I play a sound I have added as a link. Anyone know anything about that? An example is I do a GROWL from a fantasy grounds link, out of syrinscape, then he gets a pop up. When I play a persistant soundsetup as a link he does not.

I probably will have to take this to Syrinscape, but I thought maybe you guys might know it.

Thank you in advance. :)

Mardragon7
September 12th, 2017, 11:18
Hi,

I am getting help with the sound related issue in Syrinscape.

New session and a few more questions have come up.

1. I can see a need to hide my pointers. Like I would want to check distances, dragon breath areas and other AOE, without the players knowing about it. Using the pointers fucntion. Is there a way to hide pointers from players as a DM?

2. The ingame masking function is alright. Is there an extension or other function that clears fog of war based on a characters vision? I am thinking it could be possible with the "set grid" as a base, potential problem I guess with things you cant see through. What I am having them do is cone up their vision and use it to look places, and that way ease up the counting of the DM :) I'd appreciate some pointers and tips around this kind of exploring and vision on largish overland maps.
Example to the above two dwarfs stealthing across a hill region they know is littered with stealthed goblins, trying to pick them out, with a 60' darkvision on both sides. I think I'd like the FOW to keep going around you while player moves his vision and that an explored area would look like the DM side when masked for the player. Anyho, any tips would be appreciated.

3. Editting in a third question. I have Map Align. Still, I create a map in DP Studio and I make it gridless. It seems to me the grid is to weak in color default in FG, can I make it easier to see in fantasy grounds, maybe make it darker? I can get proper dark black with map align, but then I cant get the grids to fit unless I fiddle very much with it. Since it seems I still gotta set the grid in FG to take the movement, pointers etc into account with the correct distances I might as well skip the map align fiddling step I have if I could just get more color to grid. Any tips? In relation I can see that a 50 pixel square from Map align fits well with a size 70 in FG.

4.Another edit. I can force a player to put down a movement then get me as a DM to accept his move, handy to see movement spent, and path they take. Can a DM do that to himself? Right now I am just moving the enemies square by square so the players can see monster movement. When a player moves he'll just follow the path when I accept it and it looks better visually to the player. Basically I would want to set a path as DM, mind invisible to players, and when I accept the move, they will see the monster movement as it slides forward. It is easy enough to count this out, but it looks better when the monster slides along a path, contrary to just arriving at my destination along with a explanation.

Thank you very much in advance :)

Trenloe
September 12th, 2017, 13:50
Quick answers:
1) Nope.
2) Nope. Some people use a circular pointer to indicate their vision radius to help the GM unmask/remask appropriate areas. Any masking is the same for all players.
3) You can't change the grid colour.
4) Hold down CTRL before moving the token. See "set token waypoint" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Movement

Mardragon7
September 12th, 2017, 15:23
Quick answers:
1) Nope.
2) Nope. Some people use a circular pointer to indicate their vision radius to help the GM unmask/remask appropriate areas. Any masking is the same for all players.
3) You can't change the grid colour.
4) Hold down CTRL before moving the token. See "set token waypoint" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Movement

Thank you very much.

Number 4 will definatly be an improvement.

Then I shall be working with what is available for the rest :) Cheers.

Trenloe
September 12th, 2017, 15:29
For #3 you are using the grid fine tuning controls in the image toolbar to resize/nudge the grid into alignment?

Mardragon7
September 12th, 2017, 16:42
I have tried doing that, but it is like sometimes it gradually extend outwards on several of my attempts at it, even if it looks fine on the closest squares. I have had success using it aswell, so I am not saying it is impossible at all.

We are elderly chaps with poor eyesight, so need the heavier darkness in the grid :) So as I see it I'll take the map past Map Align to color it up and then set FG grid. Outside map this is alright. Inside map where DPS kinda comes with a grid, I might skip map align, it will be somewhat different, but I might still want a strong color grid.

I just trying to get into a working routine where what I am doing will work all the time. Still a newb at 4 DM sessions :)

Trenloe
September 12th, 2017, 16:47
I have tried doing that, but it is like sometimes it gradually extend outwards on several of my attempts at it, even if it looks fine on the closest squares.
That will be an issue with the base map. There are quite a few maps out there that have grids on them which aren't uniform across the map, or that have been sized so that the pixels per square is not a whole number.. All you can do is align it as best you can - concentrate on aligning the map in the area where you're currently playing, you may need to move it as the play focus shifts to another area. Or you can use this utility to try to make the map a little bit better for grid alignment: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19813-Map-Align-Utility-to-scale-and-align-map-to-grid

Mardragon7
September 12th, 2017, 16:57
That will be an issue with the base map. There are quite a few maps out there that have grids on them which aren't uniform across the map, or that have been sized so that the pixels per square is not a whole number.. All you can do is align it as best you can - concentrate on aligning the map in the area where you're currently playing, you may need to move it as the play focus shifts to another area. Or you can use this utility to try to make the map a little bit better for grid alignment: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19813-Map-Align-Utility-to-scale-and-align-map-to-grid

Yes, thats the one I am using.

It is good to know that I am using the right tools :) Then I have the best possible chance.

I'll get a working routine with this eventually.

Thanks.

Zacchaeus
September 12th, 2017, 21:48
Hi,
3. Editting in a third question. I have Map Align. Still, I create a map in DP Studio and I make it gridless. It seems to me the grid is to weak in color default in FG, can I make it easier to see in fantasy grounds, maybe make it darker? I can get proper dark black with map align, but then I cant get the grids to fit unless I fiddle very much with it. Since it seems I still gotta set the grid in FG to take the movement, pointers etc into account with the correct distances I might as well skip the map align fiddling step I have if I could just get more color to grid. Any tips? In relation I can see that a 50 pixel square from Map align fits well with a size 70 in FG.

The Map Align tool defaults to a grid size of 70 px, but you can change it to 50 in the drop down box in the top menu bar. After you've done that draw your grid to 50 px size and then export with the grid enabled. When you import into FG you should be able to place a 50px grid exactly over the Map Align tool grid.

Mardragon7
September 12th, 2017, 22:50
The Map Align tool defaults to a grid size of 70 px, but you can change it to 50 in the drop down box in the top menu bar. After you've done that draw your grid to 50 px size and then export with the grid enabled. When you import into FG you should be able to place a 50px grid exactly over the Map Align tool grid.

Thats what I had hoped, and what I have not been able to do.

I shall look into it again.

50 in map align to 70 in Fg is what I have had best success at. Which didn't make sense to me really.

I do change it to 50 in Map align.

Maybe I fail at export, as you mention above. I shall have a look again in the morning and review the help section.