PDA

View Full Version : D&D Beyond and the definitive FG integration...

rob2e
August 18th, 2017, 03:21
For those of us that stream FG (me 6 days a week), can anyone shed some light on how EXACTLY D&D Beyond will integrate with Fantasy Grounds and Twitch?

I would like to take advantage of the sale, but it may turn out that D&D Beyond is nothing FG users need, since FG does/has it all.

But there is the question of Twitch/FG integration with it. So I would like to know exactly what is supposed to happen there.

I couldn't really find any info on that.

Anyone?

Zeruel_Kagenie
August 18th, 2017, 03:39
This is the trailer of the twitch integration with DnD Beyond.

https://youtu.be/cU7YoDBn9wM

rob2e
August 18th, 2017, 03:50
This is the trailer of the twitch integration with DnD Beyond.

https://youtu.be/cU7YoDBn9wM

So I saw that before, and it LOOKS cool, but as I understand it, the DM has to manually enter that info on twitch on the fly. Not ideal.

I am more interested in knowing whether FG will "integrate" so that it's updated automatically. I'd hate to drop $280 USD and then find out later that in fact, no, it won't be auto updated. Ideally, Twitch would auto update FG info through D&D Beyond and keep the stream overlay current. I'm just not sure if that's possible and/or if that's even being worked on or part of it.

That's what I'd like to know, and preferably before Monday when the sale ends. Ha ha.

Trenloe
August 18th, 2017, 03:59
Fantasy Grounds and D&D Beyond will contain similar information (WotC D&D products) but they provide different functionality.

I'm confused as to what "integration" you're referring to. Especially when you say "Ideally, Twitch would auto update FG info through D&D Beyond and keep the stream overlay current." What, exactly, are we talking about here?

rob2e
August 18th, 2017, 04:11
Fantasy Grounds and D&D Beyond will contain similar information (WotC D&D products) but they provide different functionality.

I'm confused as to what "integration" you're referring to. Especially when you say "Ideally, Twitch would auto update FG info through D&D Beyond and keep the stream overlay current." What, exactly, are we talking about here?

If you watch the video (earlier post) you see that people streaming can have interactive PC stats on their screen. But the DM/Streamer has to update those, it's not "automated". There has been rumor (conjecture) that D&D Beyond will "integrate" with Fantasy Grounds. The only way I can see that would be beneficial is that D&D beyond would "pull info" from FG and update the stream. What else would it do?

So I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the D&D Beyond Ultimate Package (which goes off sale Monday) because unless it does THAT, I don't feel any of us need it. FG already can give you the info you can get/use from D&D Beyond (unless I'm missing something). But if that's the sort of integration they're shooting for, well then it would totally be worth it.

Trenloe
August 18th, 2017, 04:14
I haven't seen anything about D&D Beyond live integration with Fantasy Grounds. All I've seen is theoretical community discussions about being able to export characters from D&D Beyond and then import into Fantasy Grounds (like you would importing character XML now). I would very much doubt if there would be any real-time integration.

rob2e
August 18th, 2017, 04:17
I haven't seen anything about D&D Beyond live integration with Fantasy Grounds. All I've seen is theoretical community discussions about being able to export characters from D&D Beyond and then import into Fantasy Grounds (like you would importing character XML now). I would very much doubt if there would be any real-time integration.

It did seem a little far fetched but based on that NOT happening, I don't see any use for D&D Beyond for an ultimate license holder with all WotC content. Do you?

Trenloe
August 18th, 2017, 04:20
It did seem a little far fetched but based on that NOT happening, I don't see any use for D&D Beyond for an ultimate license holder with all WotC content. Do you?
Other than accessing digital WotC data on a tablet/phone, using it at the table in face-to-face games and doing a bit more character generation stuff, no.

rob2e
August 18th, 2017, 04:22
Other than accessing digital WotC data on a tablet/phone, using it at the table in face-to-face games and doing a bit more character generation stuff, no.

Yeah, I'm out. If I decide I want the cool Twitch stuff, I don't need the material, that's the subscription that gets you that. I think.

Ctmega
August 18th, 2017, 12:00
Same here Rob. I saw all the promos and rumors and dug into it a bit myself and didn't find anything that would justify the additional cost.

That being the case, I would think that an ambitious developer might see this as an opportunity to create a plugin that would accomplish what you and I would be after and have a market on the FG store. Now that would be something worth the money if it integrated with Twitch and the popular overlays/discord.

I have been working on a Discord downtime bot personally which would allow players to log downtime activities and keep notes from sessions. It's still a little bit off but looks promising.

jojogladco
August 20th, 2017, 17:53
When I asked about this on the D&D Beyond Forums the Mod reply was that:

"The exact details of integration with Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds has not been revealed to the public yet, but more details will be coming."

So either they were blowing smoke, had no idea what they were talking about or there is something planned and no one can tell any of us yet.

LordEntrails
August 20th, 2017, 18:02
The only thing Doug mentioned was character sheet transfer. Unknown if that is one way or both. I think anything beyond that we will just have to wait for :)

Nickademus
August 20th, 2017, 21:25
I think anything beyond that we will just have to wait for :)

No pun intended.