PDA

View Full Version : 5E - New Skills

ColinBuckler
August 15th, 2017, 00:15
How does 5E ruleset work with new skills (and custom classes)?

Looking to add a new skill called "Science" to all characters and would like to be able to select it during adding of classes. I have manually added the new skill to the list of classes as well as adding it to the character sheet and it does not appear as a selectable choice when you drop a new class on to select that as one of the proficiency bonus. (I would have though enumerating from the skill would be a preferable option?)

Also is there any way to force 2 mandatory skills for a class and then allow the player to select a further 2 skills from a list of any?

i.e.: Skills: Insight, Persuasion, plus any 2 of your choice

Zacchaeus
August 15th, 2017, 00:28
You'll need to write an extension to add a new skill if you want it on the character sheet. I,m not sure whether just adding such a thing will mean it will be included in any selection or whether you need to include that in your extension as well. There is wording in some of the SCAG backgrounds which allow for you get x skills and one from y list but I'm not at my computer to check exact wording but you can look it up if you have that module.

ColinBuckler
August 15th, 2017, 00:49
Thanks Zacchaeus - just had a look in SCAG and found the Inheritor which is close, but when I copy the format for the skill from the Other tab into the Class Other tab it does not work - yet it works on the background. Guess they must use different code base :cry:

For reference I copy and pasted: "Survival, plus one from among Arcana, History, and Religion" but really wanted "Insight, Persuasion, plus any two of your choice " or syntax to that effect.

I have to admit, something as simple as adding a custom skill requires an extension is a pain. I would have thought it would enumerate from the list of skills in the Skills section of the FG interface.

Zacchaeus
August 15th, 2017, 07:42
Yes, I believe that the code for class and backgrounds are different. I know Moon Wizard has to code things differently for each expected format. i don't think the wording will handle what you want to do. The best you can do is give the choice skills in the standard way and then have a feature of the class which allows the other two skills to be taken. The user would need to just include those manually.