PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to do....anything really

Winter673
August 14th, 2017, 06:49
So I see there are some tutorial videos on the game play and gm stuff and herolab imports etc

After many hours of videos, the only reason I watched them was not amongst the ones I watched. How do I get started?
The closest video to answering assumed I successfully found a game to join and was already joined. Take me through the steps please and maybe have a video as a player joining these mythical hosts I keep hearing about.

How do I create a character without being hosted so I can do the upload one like the videos are talking about. Must I use this herolab?

So as I salivate over the vtt FG videos, I can't seem to get to any of its screens other than the launcher.

Is there any offline way to experience character creation or must a GM and other players wait forever while I input my choices? Well, honestly I don't even know if the GM and/or players wait. It could be a pre-game screen where I could input my character...but as I haven't gotten that far, I have no idea.

Other Info: pathfinder ruleset (which is downloaded and installed but can't confirm its use yet)

dulux-oz
August 14th, 2017, 07:55
Hi Winter, and Welcome! to the Community,

You said you've watch a lot of Tutorial Vids. Have you watched mine (available in my Sig), because I'm pretty sure I cover joining a game, etc in the first 2 or 3 (I can't remember, its been a while since I watched them :) ).

If you have watch mine and they didn't help answer your questions, then drop me PM and I'll organise to walk you through, if you like.

Cheers

Full Bleed
August 14th, 2017, 08:10
How do I create a character without being hosted so I can do the upload one like the videos are talking about. Must I use this herolab?

Is there any offline way to experience character creation or must a GM and other players wait forever while I input my choices? Well, honestly I don't even know if the GM and/or players wait. It could be a pre-game screen where I could input my character...but as I haven't gotten that far, I have no idea.

Other Info: pathfinder ruleset (which is downloaded and installed but can't confirm its use yet)
Yeah, FG really isn't great about being simple for first time users in this regard.

So try this to get you started:

1) Launch FG
2) Click Manage Characters
3) Select the PFRPG Ruleset and Theme
4) Click Start
5) Click on Library>Modules and then "open" the books you want to have access to
6) Click on Characters, then the pencil at the bottom, then the + sign

Now, at least, you can start working on a character.

GunnarGreybeard
August 14th, 2017, 08:28
Take me through the steps please and maybe have a video as a player joining these mythical hosts I keep hearing about.

Here is a good video for connecting to a game/host (of course you have to already be accepted by a GM and aware of the times when he is running a session for you to connect) >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NLjcznEKUg

Winter673
August 14th, 2017, 21:48
Looks like some excellent leads. I'll check them out asap. Thank you everyone

GunnarGreybeard
August 15th, 2017, 06:29
Looks like some excellent leads. I'll check them out asap. Thank you everyone

All that guy's videos are D&D 5e and Savage Worlds, not Pathfinder so be aware of that BUT, the connection stuff and some other information he posts you might find helpful. AND if you haven't already, post in the 3.5E/Pathfinder forum section (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?63-3-5E-Pathfinder) so you can catch the eyes of other PF players who can probably provide more direct answers to your questions.

Trenloe
August 15th, 2017, 06:36
@Winter673 - the main thing is that you need to find a game to join. GMs will post in the LFG (Looking For Group) forum with details of what game they are running, when they are running it (remember to take time zones into account - GMs and players are from all over the world). Look for a few games that are in your free time and what you're interested in and start communicating with the GMs. 99% of the Fantasy Grounds games are all organized before the game starts - you don't just log in and find a game running this instant. It can take a while - so be patient, be proactive in finding games (GMs won't come to you) and be clear in your communication. It's not a problem being new, just make sure the GM and players know that up front so they can help you get acquainted.